Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do I have here, never seen one like it.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by pdog06 View Post
    Wish we could still get them for that price!
    Me too, where did you find that publication. Looks like it is a 112-V after all. Didn't think they made them in the late 60s.

Lol. I can’t remember where I found it. You posting your action took me down a rabbit hole looking for stocks and pictures and stuff.
    Made me remember my old one that I no longer have. It was a RH though, but still hard to find stocks for. Mine ended up with a Sharpshooter trigger, Mcgowen 308 barrel, and a Richard’s Microfit stock(which was a whole project in itself!). It was my first Savage build and, like you, led me to this site almost 20 years ago…lol probably 50 builds later I’m still here and still have parts on the way for the next build!

Make sure you post updates on your plans and stuff as it progresses… we can get you to spend all kinds of money…lol
    To be honest, given what Fred mentioned about your action if it were me I wouldn’t mind trying to find a factory original stock for it for a retro build!

Banned
    A member here managed to locate & acquire Four of these 112-J’s.

https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...12-single-shot

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dillwt View Post
    Me too, where did you find that publication. Looks like it is a 112-V after all. Didn't think they made them in the late 60s.

Here it is. For sale on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/183260222558?_ul=AR

Jim hasn’t been by yet… I’m sure he has the 1976 Savage sales brochure. LOL!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Here it is. For sale on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/183260222558?_ul=AR

Jim hasn’t been by yet… I’m sure he has the 1976 Savage sales brochure. LOL!
    May have to order that, I cant believe someone has 4 of them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdog06 View Post
    Lol. I can’t remember where I found it. You posting your action took me down a rabbit hole looking for stocks and pictures and stuff.
    Made me remember my old one that I no longer have. It was a RH though, but still hard to find stocks for. Mine ended up with a Sharpshooter trigger, Mcgowen 308 barrel, and a Richard’s Microfit stock(which was a whole project in itself!). It was my first Savage build and, like you, led me to this site almost 20 years ago…lol probably 50 builds later I’m still here and still have parts on the way for the next build!

Make sure you post updates on your plans and stuff as it progresses… we can get you to spend all kinds of money…lol
    To be honest, given what Fred mentioned about your action if it were me I wouldn’t mind trying to find a factory original stock for it for a retro build!
    The spending of the cash has already started. Just ordered a trigger guard and my Numrich cart has about $100 in it for some odds and ends. Not including the cost of the action. I already have a new barrel that I was going to put on one of my long actions. Not a varmint barrel but its a start. 22" Shilen 6.5x55 swede. 1/8 twist and sporter contour. Have to think about a scope also or may have a vintage redfield peep and williams front sight attached.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dillwt View Post
    May have to order that, I cant believe someone has 4 of them.

Yeah, no lie. Look at the last post in that tread I posted. Member “Savage112”. He hasn’t posted since ‘21. But he posted 4 pictures of his. Nice looking rifles.

You are doing 6.5 Swede? Very cool.. Still a GREAT cartridge!

Basic Member
    Yeah, no lie. Look at the last post in that tread I posted. Member “Savage112”. He hasn’t posted since ‘21. But he posted 4 pictures of his. Nice looking rifles.

You are doing 6.5 Swede? Very cool.. Still a GREAT cartridge!
    Yeah, I think the 6.5 Swede will be a great cartridge for that single shot. I think I mentioned in another post I am over Magnumitis. I turned my 7mm Mag into a 7x57, that one used to beat me up on the bench. I was going to turn the 30-06 into the swede but now I will use that barrel for the single shot and keep it 30-06. The swede is a nice classic cartridge that is still relevant even when compared to the 6.5 CM. If I want something really heavy I have a nice 338-06. All left hand Savages.

Banned
    Agreed. My favorite are the claims the 6.5CM has “somehow” acrued more velocity over the last 7 years? People now are telling us their 6.5CM’s are doing 2800… 2900… even 3000+ fps!! Uhhhh, ok.

Here’s a good vid. (Still enjoy the Man Bun comments, LOL!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leWjxQyCgRs

Basic Member
    Agreed. My favorite are the claims the 6.5CM has “somehow” acrued more velocity over the last 7 years? People now are telling us their 6.5CM’s are doing 2800… 2900… even 3000+ fps!! Uhhhh, ok.

Here’s a good vid. (Still enjoy the Man Bun comments, LOL!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leWjxQyCgRs
    Dave, on another subject, are the short action bolt bodies the same dimension for the first, second and third gen short actions. Just wondering the possibility of getting a new bolt body for it and how hard it would be to find.
    Nothing wrong with the one it has but I was thinking about ordering a custom sized PTG to take some of the slop out. Have not seen an article addressing it. I have pin gauges but not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.

Basic Member
    The first gen short action bolts are in between the second gen and a long action, needless to say they are not available anymore. Don't worry about the slop, that what makes a Savage shoot so well.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Banned
    Lol! Yes… it’s all about that slop baby.. HA! Ok, well.. maybe not. I do prefer less slop myself. But then, I am still using stock bolts as well. Although that’s only because I’ve not wanted to spend the money on a PTG bolt sleeve. But eventually I will.

Team Savage
    Back in the mid 70s, picked up a 110V in .223. "J" series inbetweener, longer than the now short action and shorter that the now long actions. Getting stocks and scope mounts was fun to say the least.
    Found out by moving the recoil lug cut forward in a short action stock, it would fit like a glove. Scope mounts were a different story. Too many holes, not enough holes and trying to get a full mount was a joke.
    Finally picked up a couple of new rear windage adjustable mounts, shipped them off along with the action, had the mounts cut in two, fitted and re welded to fit every hole. Custom made to the specs I needed. Can't tell them from factory made. Rear adjustable to make up for some of the Savage holes with not enough room to get as straight mount.
    Stocks fit was pretty easy. Only about 1/4" difference and with "custom made" escutcheons to cover the larger action screw hole, more custom fit.
    This rifle will be with me till the day I die. It was my first adventure into Savage rifles. Been just about any caliber you can think of.
    I would have to look but if I remember correctly, it is now chambered in 6.8 SPC. Single shot adaptor so no feeding or extraction issues, ever!!
    Richard's Micro-Fit Wildcat Camo stock. Started off shooting ground squirrels out to 200+ yards. Deadly accurate and I was hooked.
    It has been the test bed for a bunch of calibers.
    From .223 to .221 Fireball (I learned a bunch about what will and won't feed on a Savage action) 20 VT, 20 VT "short" Wildcat, 6.8 SPC, 6.8 BR Wildcat, 6MM BR. (another deadly accurate round if you call 5 shots all going in the same hole)
    The latest adventure is my 20 MGM Wildcat. (22 TCM necked down to) Worked on a 17 caliber version but the small bullets are harder to work with.
    Green Mountain or Pac Nor straight pipe barrels chambered in the caliber of my choice. Custom cut (to MY specs) reamers from dummy rounds so I get what I want.
    All my rigs are either single shots or fitted with single shot followers so no loading or extraction issues. All fitted with heavy Richard's Micro-Fit BR Thumbhole laminated stocks. (think fence posts) All just at 15.5 to 16 pounds. When all 5 shots go in the same hole, I've done my part.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Savage didn't offer a single-shot model until sometime in the mid-late 1970's (Model 112V was the first IIRC). Of course, all of those 112V's would have had a letter prefix on the SN which is what really sets this one apart. Pre-1968 short-actions are already fairly rare as repeaters, so finding one that's a single-shot is a needle in the haystack.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Savage didn't offer a single-shot model until sometime in the mid-late 1970's (Model 112V was the first IIRC). Of course, all of those 112V's would have had a letter prefix on the SN which is what really sets this one apart. Pre-1968 short-actions are already fairly rare as repeaters, so finding one that's a single-shot is a needle in the haystack.
    J. Baker, the only good information I have found on a pre-68 single shot came from your article. from the limited material out there, only thing I can figure out is that what I have may be an overrun from the 950T that was imported by CIL in Canada.

Article also mentions 50 were sold in the US. No import marks so not a true 950T so I assume its one of them. No telling how many of the 50 were left hand. Am I missing something?

By the way that was a really good article.

Update: In the 1960's Canadian Industries Limited (CIL) of Montreal, ONT. contracted with Savage Arms to manufacture at least two rifle models based on the 110 design for import and sale in the Canadian market. The first was a sporter model (Model 950) that featured a California Monte Carlo stock made by Sile of Italy - the same stock used on the Savage 110 P and 110 PE models from 1966-70). The second was a target model (Model 950T) which featured a single-shot action, heavy contour 26-1/2" barrel and a target style walnut stock made by Bishop. According to an article published by Petersen's Hunting in 2008, approximately 250 of the 950T's were made (200 RH / 50 LH) and were adapted for use with Parker-Hale sights. It is also known that a very small quantity (less than 50) of these target rifles were sold in the U.S. by one dealer.

The features of the Model 112 V which would be introduced to the U.S. market in 1975 by Savage is said to have been based on the CIL 950T.

Dillwt, not sure if this is something you’d be interested in for your action, but I saw this listed on another site and this stock is inletted for your action. Stockade stocks are very good stocks as well. Just thought I’d pass along since finding quality stocks are very hard to come by.

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/th...stock.4092716/

Banned
    In the end, I would worry so much about what it came from. It’s a stripped action so it’s not original. Just rebuild it as you see fit & have fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12