Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do I have here, never seen one like it.

Basic Member

What do I have here, never seen one like it.

Savage 110 1st Gen Short action pre-letter prefix with no magazine cut.
    Manufacturing mistake??????

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	110 short action.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	213.4 KB 
ID:	9441

Banned
    Seems that’s how they were. Look at the 1st Gen SA in the middle of the picture here. It’s the same thing. No Mag cut out. Jim or one of the other guys can tell you more. I just had already caught this, so I knew yours wasn’t the only one.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...Action-Lengths

4.522” action screw spacing? If so that would be what they call an “intermediate” action. They are next to impossible to get stocks for unless you modify one to fit, but the ones I’ve had have been butter smooth to cycle. Probably due to being older with a lot of use.
    Yours being a single shot was most likely an early varmint model rifle, like 223,22-250,etc.
    Mine were 14twist 22-250’s and a .223

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdog06 View Post
    4.522” action screw spacing? If so that would be what they call an “intermediate” action. They are next to impossible to get stocks for unless you modify one to fit, but the ones I’ve had have been butter smooth to cycle. Probably due to being older with a lot of use.
    Yours being a single shot was most likely an early varmint model rifle, like 223,22-250,etc.
    Mine were 14twist 22-250’s and a .223
    It has the 4.522 screw spacing. Almost no internal wear. Whoever had it didn't shoot it much but did let it get a bit of surface rust. I didn't catch that it was a single shot when I bid on it was looking for a 1st gen stagger feed. Now I just have to figure out what I want to do with it. Since cartridge length is no longer an issue, maybe a 7X57. Also have a vintage redfield peep sight and a williams front I could mount. I have all the parts to bring it to life, just need a stock.

Only issue so far is ejector is stuck. Pin came out but ejector is frozen.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Seems that’s how they were. Look at the 1st Gen SA in the middle of the picture here. It’s the same thing. No Mag cut out. Jim or one of the other guys can tell you more. I just had already caught this, so I knew yours wasn’t the only one.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...Action-Lengths
    Good eyes, I have looked at that picture many times and never noticed it was a single shot.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dillwt View Post
    Good eyes, I have looked at that picture many times and never noticed it was a single shot.

Well, yours is the the only other one I’ve ever seen. Never seen an Savage 110 “Intermediate” Action Rifle, so just figured the one in the picture Jim used for the article was the ONLY one in existence..LOL!

But then you posted your pic & caught my eye immediately… “Hey… Ive seen that before!” Ooo.., Ooo.. maybe yours is the SAME one from the article!? Again supporting that it’s the only one ever made?

J/K guys.

Basic Member
    Well, yours is the the only other one I’ve ever seen. Never seen an Savage 110 “Intermediate” Action Rifle, so just figured the one in the picture Jim used for the article was the ONLY one in existence..LOL!

But then you posted your pic & caught my eye immediately… “Hey… Ive seen that before!” Ooo.., Ooo.. maybe yours is the SAME one from the article!? Again supporting that it’s the only one ever made?

J/K guys.
    Probably not the only one ever made but difficult to find any information on it. No model stamped on the receiver. Given it has no letter prefix I assume its from 1968 or earlier. Looked at all the scanned savage catalogues on the site and could not get any information. Does anyone know what the model would be or have an original of this model. I would love to see what one looked like from the 60s. I will post more pictures later.

Model is more than likely a 112V.

Did you buy just the action? What bolt head is in it .223 size(.378”) or a .308 size(.473”).?

You might still be able to order a stock for it from Boyd’s? Also if you look on their site they have a section of already made stocks(like a clearance rack) and there may be one on there. Just verify screw spacing.

Here’s a link to what your action woulda looked like back in its hay day. There’s a few pictures.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101272446

https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...es-J-220-Swift

Here’s a stock for it on Boyd’s website

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/rapid...-magazine33532

Basic Member

Did you buy just the action? What bolt head is in it .223 size(.378”) or a .308 size(.473”).?

You might still be able to order a stock for it from Boyd’s? Also if you look on their site they have a section of already made stocks(like a clearance rack) and there may be one on there. Just verify screw spacing.
    PDog, just bought the action and bolt. I have a trigger/safety. it came with the .473 bolt face. I will take a look at Boyds, hopefully they have a left hand.

Basic Member

All cleaned up, Trigger installed, got the ejector and spring out, will replace them before I am finished. From the milling I think I should have used a three screw trigger assembly but I dont currently have one, but the old style works. Needs some smoothing on sear and lightening the trigger spring but feels much better now that its cleaned and lubed.

Name:	110 sa wtrg.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	224.8 KB 
ID:	9442

Here is another example that I have of that action. Also a single shot and left handed. It also has the 4.522 action screw spacing. This was a rifle I purchased several years ago. It was built as a Back-up Palma rifle competitor. The serial # is very close to yours as well with no letter prefix. This Rifle has a Criterion barrel with Palma contour and muzzle turned down for front sight. It is chambered in .260 Match chamber or so it was reported to me. The action is glass smooth and shoots 1/2MOA consistently. Another "fly in the ointment" I thought I would share.

Name:	260-4.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	9443Click image for larger version. 

Name:	260-2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	9444Click image for larger version. 

Name:	260-3.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	9445Click image for larger version. 

Name:	260-1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	9446
    You are only limited by your imagination

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdskip View Post
    Here is another example that I have of that action. Also a single shot and left handed. It also has the 4.522 action screw spacing. This was a rifle I purchased several years ago. It was built as a Back-up Palma rifle competitor. The serial # is very close to yours as well with no letter prefix. This Rifle has a Criterion barrel with Palma contour and muzzle turned down for front sight. It is chambered in .260 Match chamber or so it was reported to me. The action is glass smooth and shoots 1/2MOA consistently. Another "fly in the ointment" I thought I would share.

Name:	260-4.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	9443Click image for larger version. 

Name:	260-2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	9444Click image for larger version. 

Name:	260-3.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	9445Click image for larger version. 

Name:	260-1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	9446
    Hdskip, thanks for the info. That pretty much matches what I have. These are pre 112V rifles which I believe came out in 1975. Does yours have the pre-1966 Trigger or the more modern 3 screw.

Mine is all dolled up with a Rifle Basix 2 trigger set to about 8 oz. The stock is a laminate and I have yet to determine the maker the comb and butt are fully adjustable and is pillar bedded.
    You are only limited by your imagination

Boys did have a couple on there that were left hand, but I didn’t realize it was a left-handed action or I would’ve link them as well. Sorry about that.

To find them go to Boyd’s website, and then the menu click on rapidfire gunstocks. That’s their premade ones that they have ready for shipping.
    And then there’s a tab that you can sort it by alphabetical order A-to-Z or Z-to-A. what that will do is put all the savage stocks together. If you don’t do that they’re just scrambled with all the other makers out there and it’ll take you forever to find them.
    It will be labeled as for a first generation action.

Basic Member
    Boys did have a couple on there that were left hand, but I didn’t realize it was a left-handed action or I would’ve link them as well. Sorry about that.

To find them go to Boyd’s website, and then the menu click on rapidfire gunstocks. That’s their premade ones that they have ready for shipping.
    And then there’s a tab that you can sort it by alphabetical order A-to-Z or Z-to-A. what that will do is put all the savage stocks together. If you don’t do that they’re just scrambled with all the other makers out there and it’ll take you forever to find them.
    It will be labeled as for a first generation action.
    Thanks Pdog

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dillwt View Post
    All cleaned up, Trigger installed, got the ejector and spring out, will replace them before I am finished. From the milling I think I should have used a three screw trigger assembly but I dont currently have one, but the old style works. Needs some smoothing on sear and lightening the trigger spring but feels much better now that its cleaned and lubed.

Name:	110 sa wtrg.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	224.8 KB 
ID:	9442
    You familiar with doing trigger jobs? You have a pre-‘66 trigger. Some actually prefer those to the others. Here is a helpful article. Also, stoning the surfaces perfectly flat will do a great deal for trigger feel.

https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...ge-110-trigger

Basic Member
    You familiar with doing trigger jobs? You have a pre-‘66 trigger. Some actually prefer those to the others. Here is a helpful article. Also, stoning the surfaces perfectly flat will do a great deal for trigger feel.

https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...ge-110-trigger
    I have done some very light, very careful stoning of the sear contact points with a superfine Arkansas stone. Got some good results. I am still very much an amateur at it. The article in the gunsmithing section of the site really helped a lot. I do prefer the pre-66 trigger just wasn't sure how it would fit that receiver. Seems to be fine which was surprising.

Banned
    Oh yeah… any of the triggers will fit! The only difference is the Sear & slight diff. in bracket shape, as far as fitment.

Basic Member
    What you have is a rarity. It was not a catalog item, and was built on a special order for C.I.L. as a Palma Rifle. Savage built 200 right hand single shots, and 25 left hand single shots for this Canadian Co. They were stocked by Bishop. I can't actually pin the date down, but it was between 1968-70.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    What you have is a rarity. It was not a catalog item, and was built on a special order for C.I.L. as a Palma Rifle. Savage built 200 right hand single shots, and 25 left hand single shots for this Canadian Co. They were stocked by Bishop. I can't actually pin the date down, but it was between 1968-70.
    Well that would explain why its not in any of Savage's old publications. This will be an interesting research project. The age and serial number would point to a 950T but those were marked for C.I.L. This receiver only has the normal savage Westfield Mass. markings. There is no model number designation. Mystery continues, maybe a leftover that was not exported or a custom order.

Found this old publication. Not your super rare LH version though. I’ve seen many of these actions but I must say yours is the only one I’ve seen in LH. After reading Fred’s post now I know why!

Wish we could still get them for that price!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast