Thread: Converting to 223 from 224 Valkyie

Converting to 223 from 224 Valkyie

So here’s the question. I purchased a gorgeous MSR-15 224 Valkyrie loaded out. I want to convert to a 223 but not sure what goodies are hidden in there. I know I need a barrel and bolt. What else might I run into? What’s it worth as is. It’s the first model, FDE, UBR buttstock with storage. There’s Ann 18” stainless with manifold. Beautiful gun. Exactly 6 rounds through it. Just function tested before I got sick. Steve, Louisiana

Bolt and barrel should be about it. Value as-is would probably depend on how big a sucker you could find to pass it along to given how much of a flop the Valkyrie turned out to be. I had 8 boxes of ammo here that I'd obtained to review the same rifle you have, but Savage never sent me out the rifle. Took me 4 years to finally find someone who had a Valkyrie to sell the ammo to.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Probably need a magazine too. But 5.56/223 mags are relatively cheap.
    VISA loves me since I joined this site.

I’m wondering if it worth building a separate upper for the 223 or just change the parts out. On paper the Valkyrie was wonderful. Ammo availablity killed it for me. But I was sick awhile. Glad to be back to the sport.

Certainly will. The 224 Valkyrie was based on a 6.8 case. Thanks.

Banned
    Yup.. I’d simply swap out. Then sell the barrel/bolt. Eventually someone will buy who just wants to build a 224 Valk. Because people can’t help themselves building these boutique cartridges. Myself on the other hand…. I’ve been assembling & building AR’s since 2006. More than I can remember. And almost all were 223. (Save for 1 or 2 in 7.62)

SAVAGE SAYS DO NOT ATTEPT TO REPLACE BARREL AND UPPER RECEIVER PARTS DUE TO PROPRIETARY PARTS. Lowers were mi spec in the MSR15, but uppers we re proprietary. Barrel nuts ARE PROPRIETARY. I just got off the phone with them. Their suggestion was to buy another MSR 15 upper in 223 which they do just happen to have in stock. They said their AR10 was 100% proprietary! Today is 4/12/23.

SAVAGE SAYS DO NOT ATTEPT TO REPLACE BARREL AND UPPER RECEIVER PARTS DUE TO PROPRIETARY PARTS. Lowers were mi spec in the MSR15, but uppers we re proprietary. Barrel nuts ARE PROPRIETARY. I just got off the phone with them. Their suggestion was to buy another MSR 15 upper in 223 which they do just happen to have in stock. They said their AR10 was 100% proprietary! Today is 4/12/23.

Banned
    Of course they are telling you that…. But here’s something: I was building & working on AR’s LONG before Savage was! Many here were! So allow me to educate you a little bit my friend

Look at the pictures below & also at your MSR upper. On the right side, just behind the shell deflector, you should see a mark.

Now, here’s a factory Savage picture of an 18” 224 Valk. MSR15.

And here is that same picture I enlarged to highlight the Forge Mark. See the Square?

By contrast, here is one of my ultra high end, custom built: manufactured by ME, AR15’s in 223/5.56.

And once again, I enlarged that same picture to highlight the same Forge Mark!

This is because Savage was doing the exact same thing I and every other AR15 builder does.. Buying their Uppers from a Foundry Forge… where ALL Forged Aluminum parts are made. In this case, the “Square” mark tells me they are made at the the Brass/Aluminum Forging Enterprises company. (My preferred Foundry for stripped Uppers.) I’m willing to bet your MSR has the same mark. And if not, please tell me what it looks like and I’ll tell you what Foundry forge the Upper came from. Or, just post a picture.

My Valkyrie has the same casting as what you have shown. I guess at the end of the day I’m just but hurt because I can’t change my own barrel to convert it. This particular very heavy AR has the best trigger that I’ve found out of the box. I’d like to know what it is.

“Square” mark tells me they are made at the the Brass/Aluminum Forging Enterprises company. (My preferred Foundry for stripped Uppers.)
    I did not know that. Thanks for the info Dave!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sig.natures@yahoo.com View Post
    My Valkyrie has the same casting as what you have shown. I guess at the end of the day I’m just but hurt because I can’t change my own barrel to convert it. This particular very heavy AR has the best trigger that I’ve found out of the box. I’d like to know what it is.
    Over the internet things can sound rude that are not intended to be.... so don't take offense- but it sounds like you don't know very much about this and need to take the gun to someone who can help you out. If the upper is standard then you very well can do it yourself- but it just depends on what is proprietary to tell you what you need. If the bcg is mil spec then you can easily get a new bolt and barrel. If they did something weird with the bcg/bolt/barrel extension then you are going to be better off just buying a complete upper and putting it on or building.

And it depends on what you want/expect for the gun.... you can pick up complete uppers for just range blasting for $350 or you can spend thousands. On the trigger- is it a 1 piece drop in or the standard setup?

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    I did not know that. Thanks for the info Dave!
    Here is info on all AR upper manufacturers.

https://www.cdsarms.com/upper-forgings/

or
    Upper receiver forge markings:

Offset Square is: Brass Aluminum Forging
    LMT is: No Forge Marks, but marked LMT or L is: LMT
    AF is: Alcoa Forge
    C AF is: Colt Alco Forge
    A (splintered) = Anchor Harvey Aluminum
    C MB is: Colt / Mueller Brass
    Cardinal’s head (stylized bird head) is: Cardinal Forge
    CH is: Colt Harvey Aluminum
    Crosshairs w/"AR" is: ArmaLite
    CK is: Colt / Kaiser Aluminum
    CM is: Colt / Martin Marietta
    D (stylized) is: Diemaco
    DK is: Diemaco / Kaiser Aluminum
    E is: Emco
    EK is: EMCO/Kaiser
    E MB is: EMCO/Mueller Brass
    FA is: FNMI / Anchor Harvey
    FK is: FNMI / Kaiser Aluminum
    FM is: FN/Martin Marietta
    FMB is: FNMI / Mueller Brass
    LK is: LAR / Kaiser Aluminum
    LM is: LAR / Martin Marietta
    M "diamond" is: Mueller Industries
    PA is: Capco / Anchor Harvey
    PM is: Capco / Martin Marietta
    Square (symbol) is: Brass Aluminum

M-16 markings:

CAF Colt / Alcoa Forge
    CH Colt / Harvey Aluminum (1st Colt Forgings)
    CM Colt / Martin Marietta
    DK Diemaco / Kaiser
    FK, FS, BK, DK, EK, FK, AF, CW, AA, FS Bushmaster
    LK FN / Kaiser
    LM LAR / Martin Marietta (Army Spares Contract)
    “Splintered A” F: FNMI Anchor Harvey“Splintered A” F: FNMI Anchor Harvey
    “Splintered A” C: Colt Anchor Harvey
    Splintered A Olympic Arms? (Anchor Harvey)

My list of verified upper receiver forge markings used by AR-15 upper manufactuers/sellers

Savage - Brass Aluminum Forging
    DSA - Cardinal forge
    Rock River - Cardinal forge
    Delton - Cerro forge, square
    DPMS - Cerro
    Spikes Tactical - Cerro
    Stag - Cardinal, Cerro
    LWRC- splintered A
    Para USA - ZM
    Knight’s Armament - Cerro (keyhole)
    Wilson Combat - splintered A
    Double Star - Cerro
    Smith &Wesson - Cerro
    Daniel Defense - Cerro
    Sabre Defense - Cerro?
    Remington - Cerro
    BCM - Cerro, square
    Bushmaster - Cerro
    Stag - splintered A, Cardinal
    J&T Distributing (Doublestar) - Cerro, C
    CMMG - Cerro
    Colt M4 - Cerro (C keyhole), square, Cardinal (“C“ bird‘s head), C AF
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

It is a two stage trigger, disconnect etc. I did not take it out but will. It IS NOT a cassette drop in. It has a blue hammer spring. Small take up and crisp, smooth 3.5-4 pound. I’d us it as a starter trigger on any build and be happy.

The trigger on this unit is wonderful. It is not a cassette, drop in etc. it is a standard design two staged trigger set with a blue hammer spring. The pieces appear to be shiny as if plated but not quite as brilliant as nickel. I would dearly like to know the maker and part number. Slight take up almost no pressure. Smooth but crisp break at 3.5 or so. Can you help me with identification? Serial number 03-022042

Basic Member
    I am considering something similar. I have the MSR 15 in 223 wylde and would like to replace the entire upper to a 300blk. I know my MSR 10 is mostly propietery but I think the MSR 15 lower is mil spec.
    I would want to replace the entire upper so that I can change back and forth easily. Has anyone tried this?

Banned
    Delete

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LinemanBob View Post
    I am considering something similar. I have the MSR 15 in 223 wylde and would like to replace the entire upper to a 300blk. I know my MSR 10 is mostly propietery but I think the MSR 15 lower is mil spec.
    I would want to replace the entire upper so that I can change back and forth easily. Has anyone tried this?

Yes, it’s easy to do this. The MSR15 is the same as any other MilSpec AR15. Savage doesn’t even make all the parts. They source the the parts from the same sources as nearly every other MilSpec AR. So just build another upper. Let me know if you need any help. I can tell you where to get all the MilSpec parts inexpensively. Or you can go super premium for more $$.

Team Savage
    People won't agree but I have SEVERAL AR's assembled with the BCA right side charge, Gen 1 and Gen 2 Receiver/BCG. Running a No-Gas 22 Nosler, wife has gas, 22 Nosgar.
    It's $99 plus shipping (receiver/Carrier/.223 bolt). Had to buy 224V/6.8SPC bolts to put in the carrier for the 22 Nosgar (necked down 6mm Hagar).
    Not a run and gun candidate because the 7075 heavy walled receiver is HEAVY.
    Wife and I are using these with a 28" X-caliber barrel (watch for a 20% off sale).
    (you might figure out I'm a cheapo)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	600-F-open.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	9779

The heavy wall helps, I think, because the thickness where the barrel extension sits inside the receive (not the threaded nose).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AR-Barrel-Support.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	9780

Hope it's OK to butt in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 28-inch-uppers.jpg