Thread: Question about Redding dies/die sets

Basic Member

Question about Redding dies/die sets

So, I was thinking of getting some Redding Premium Series Deluxe dies for my 308 and 6.5CM. I was just wondering who here uses these, or any other series of Redding dies? I am not familiar with Redding as I usually use RCBS and Hornady, but I am looking for something better. Are these that much better? Would I be better off to get the micrometer seating die (since I already have sizing dies), or the whole set? I did some searching through the reloading forum, but didn't really find much. Any suggestions and information is welcomed!Thanks in advance for the information and suggestions!

Redding has so many dies, I'm not sure which one you are talking about. I use the Redding 2 die Master Hunter set for my 6.5 CM. That's the Redding Competition Seating Die and standard Redding Full Length Sizing Die. I also use the VLD seating stem to match the long bullets I prefer. I think its improved the consistency and accuracy of my loads a lot. The only issue is, the Competition seating die can't handle compressed loads which may be a problem if you load from the upper end of the chart. I use 42 gr of H4350 and RL-16 and both come really close to being compressed at a seating depth that will fit in a magazine. Loading longer is no issue so I've taken to seating at the lands for both bullets. If I want to use a magazine, I switch to my Lee die.

Basic Member
    That's part of the reason I'm so confused, they have so many to choose from! I'll have to look at the Master Hunter set, the one I was referring to is one step below yours (I think) since it's Premium and not Master. I don't have any loads so far, that have been compressed. Two of my rifles are single shot anyway, and if the rounds won't fit the mag on the other rifles, it's not a huge deal.

Quote Originally Posted by vince_ross View Post
    That's part of the reason I'm so confused, they have so many to choose from! I'll have to look at the Master Hunter set, the one I was referring to is one step below yours (I think) since it's Premium and not Master. I don't have any loads so far, that have been compressed. Two of my rifles are single shot anyway, and if the rounds won't fit the mag on the other rifles, it's not a huge deal.
    Yeah, Redding has something for everyone! I liked the idea of a micrometer adjustment on a seating die a lot, but in practice, I'm not sure it's that useful since I only load for one gun. Mostly, I use it to back off .005 when I screw it into the press, so I start with a slightly long seating depth and don't start with a short cartridge. What I really like about the die, and what makes it unsuitable for compressed loads, is the sleeve that guides the bullet into the die as you raise the case on the ram. It improves concentricity, but it's a pretty thin sleeve and it has what they call an air tight fit. It's so thin, that using it to press the bullet into the powder load can damage it, and in turn, that will damage the die body. I can't recommend it enough even with its limitations.

Basic Member
    Depends on what you are after. If benchrest precision then it is a different answer than 'normal' or personal use. I am a casual paper puncher. My 6BR I use a Forster FL size die and a Redding competition seat die. I like the micrometer adjustment because I can save the settings for each bullet. Forster will hone the neck to your specs if you want. IIRC Hornady used to make custom size dies if you sent them several fired cases.

My .308 is mostly cast bullets. I use Lee dies for it and for my .223 barrel. I have modified the seat die to give more accurate results (much less runout). I also neck size most of the time and the Lee collet die is the best way to do that for me. The dies are good for 1/2MOA jacketed loads. I do have to admit I have a Redding competition seating die for the .308 when shooting the ELD bullets.

For ultimate precision check with others who complete. Wilson seating dies are probably high on their list. As are the bushing type FL size dies.

Banned
    I try to use Redding dies in whole. I use the Master Hunter with the micrometer seater die for my 260Rem. And I’m getting reading to order a set 260AI from Redding.

I do use use Lee for my 223, but that is because I only load 223 for my AR. At some point I’ll grab Redding for them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Depends on what you are after. If benchrest precision then it is a different answer than 'normal' or personal use. I am a casual paper puncher. My 6BR I use a Forster FL size die and a Redding competition seat die. I like the micrometer adjustment because I can save the settings for each bullet. Forster will hone the neck to your specs if you want. IIRC Hornady used to make custom size dies if you sent them several fired cases.

My .308 is mostly cast bullets. I use Lee dies for it and for my .223 barrel. I have modified the seat die to give more accurate results (much less runout). I also neck size most of the time and the Lee collet die is the best way to do that for me. The dies are good for 1/2MOA jacketed loads. I do have to admit I have a Redding competition seating die for the .308 when shooting the ELD bullets.

For ultimate precision check with others who complete. Wilson seating dies are probably high on their list. As are the bushing type FL size dies.
    For most people, Forster will get you where you want to go. Very well. I have used Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Redding, Forster, Whidden, and Wilson. I have Many redding dies and the are good dies. I have had 2 sets of Redding that are loose in the press threads. Not good. I find myself appreciating Forster more and more. Good fit and finish and just plain work.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I use a Redding Micrometer die set for my 6.5mm CM - part number 39446. The set came with a full sizing die and a crimper.
    For most of my other bench rifles, I use Forster Micrometer die sets. The Forster die sets came with full and neck sizing dies which I would have preferred since I shoot bolt actions mostly and don't crimp. f I had an AR 6.5mm, the Redding crimper might have had some value.
    Forster didn't have a 6.5mm CM die available when I bought my first 6.5mm CM.

The Redding dies work great just like the Forster dies, but I prefer the Forster dies.
    The only difference between the Redding dies and the Forster dies is that one turn of the Redding Dies changes the seating depth by 50 thousandths and one turn of the Forster dies changes the seating depth by 25 thousandths.
    For someone with bad eyesight, the Forster might be easier to set because the spaces between the markings are wider.
    But I find both are easy to set.

Quote Originally Posted by vince_ross View Post
    So, I was thinking of getting some Redding Premium Series Deluxe dies for my 308 and 6.5CM. I was just wondering who here uses these, or any other series of Redding dies? I am not familiar with Redding as I usually use RCBS and Hornady, but I am looking for something better. Are these that much better? Would I be better off to get the micrometer seating die (since I already have sizing dies), or the whole set? I did some searching through the reloading forum, but didn't really find much. Any suggestions and information is welcomed!Thanks in advance for the information and suggestions!
    I would look at Wilson full length bushing dies for sizing and most any micro adjust seating die will do the job, Hornday for example will seat bullets just fine.

Team Savage

I'm with Robin and CF in regards to Forster. That said, the vast majority of my dies are RCBS which are still my default with any new caliber. I tend to prefer the finish on older die sets better than the new dies. I also have Redding, Lyman (mostly pistol), and a lone Lee die set that was part of a package deal with a rifle and promptly replaced with a mint vintage RCBS set.

Basic Member
    Thanks for all of the replies and information! Lots of great stuff to go through! For whatever reason, I didn't even think of Wilson or Forster (must be brain fog). I'll have to look at those also.
    I'm definitely not committed to use Redding, I just hear more about them than other brands. I'm going to have to think more on it then. The Master Hunter series is definitely on my list now as well as the Forster.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    I'm with Robin and CF in regards to Forster. That said, the vast majority of my dies are RCBS which are still my default with any new caliber. I tend to prefer the finish on older die sets better than the new dies. I also have Redding, Lyman (mostly pistol), and a lone Lee die set that was part of a package deal with a rifle and promptly replaced with a mint vintage RCBS set.
    My go-to has always been RCBS, mostly because I've just not had any problems with them. Now Hornady dies I actually had to send it for replacement (357 sig, 6.5CM and 308) for a few issues. Hornady's customer service was great, I will say that.
    The only Lee die that I own is a universal decapper.

Basic Member
    Call Jay at Redding tell him what you are doing or wanting he will get you exactly what you need--I have been very happy with my Redding