Thread: Hogue stock or factory Dupont Rynite?

Hogue stock or factory Dupont Rynite?

Need to replace the (cracked) stock on my 110...

Should I go with a Hogue or Dupont Rynite? Can't spend more than $150

Anyone have any feedback on the two? How was the Rynite stock regarded?

Also, I'd appreciate confirmation that a Rynite stock from a 110F will fit my 110 staggerfeed, blindmag, top bolt release, LA 7mm rem mag. From what I can tell it will but would appreciate the experts chiming in!

Banned
    I’m not familiar with what you are referring to as Rynite stocks. For that alone I would choose the Hogue. Even their economical stock is pillar bedded. But their other option with the full Aluminum bedding block is superior. Also for a bit more than the base Hogue, Boyd’s has some decent choices.

What is your factory stock? Maybe think on bedding what you got for now. And save a bit more for one of those.

Thanks for the reply.

The Dupont Rynite stocks came on the factory 110Fs in the early 90s as I understand. It's a plastic resin stock but that's all I know. Supposed to be much more solid than a standard plastic stock.

My current stock is a nice B&C. The rifle was bought used and I've since noticed some hairline cracks on the stock near the recoil lug. I'm looking into whether a smith can repair this but also looking for plan B if I need to replace.

Banned
    Just wanted to offer this as well.. for $175 for can also pick up a Boyd’s Laminate. With a bedding job (you can do yourself), this would give the best rigidity. And they are fine looking stocks as well. https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator

I agree with Dave that a Boyd’s stock would be a fairly cheap alternative and give you a solid foundation.
    However if you were wanting a plastic/composite stock then the Hogue would be your best option out of the 2 you mentioned. Just confirm you’re ordering one with a 5.0” action screw spacing and you should be good to go. If anything you may need to just do some light clearing with a dremel just like with most aftermarket stocks(and factory ones too actually). Things like free floating the rear tang, clearancing for the top bolt release, and making sure the barrel is free floating. All simple stuff to do and only takes minutes. And May not have to do any of those.

Not sure about the “rynite” stock you’re mentioning, but if it was a factory stock from the 90’s it will most likely be (1)hardto find and (2) still not better than the hogue.

The one other thing you probably already know is that the older staggerfeed detachable mag systems are much different than the newer centerfeed ones, so remember that when ordering a stock if you were wanting a detachable mag.

Thanks both.

I'll add a Boyd's to the list. Laminate stocks sure are pretty.

Here is the "Rynite" stock I found on Numrich: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1251640

Would love to also hear opinions on the Hogue stock for those who have used them

That should fit. Just not sure about the rigidity of it. That one and the standard hogue are probably pretty similar is rigidity, with the hogue with the full bedding block being a bit better.

Hopefully someone here has one or had one and can speak on it better.

All of them are better than the cracked one you have

Basic Member
    Savage never offered anything in Dupont Rynite. That was a material that only Remington used on a few rifles, because Remington was owned by Dupont at the time. In the early 90's, Savage did use stocks made by Ramline that were glass filled nylon. Other than that, the common "tupperware" stocks are made from polypropylene.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

It appears they did offer the 110F in Dupont Rynite. There's a replacement on Numrich and this is also detailed in the Blue Book of Gun Values!

Does anyone know anything about Rynite?

If anyone would know for sure it would be Fred(sharpshooter). Makes sense and possibly why we weren’t really familiar with it.
    I’d bet on Fred’s knowledge. Wonder if the one on the Numrich site is actually one of those Ramlines and just mislabeled?

I can say that I’ve been on this site for over 15 years and I’ve never seen anything spoken of a rynite stock until today.?

By no means am I doubting you guys, this site is an incredible wealth of knowledge and I'd consider most of the longtime members experts.

The Numrich site could very well be a misprint. However, my Blue Book of Gun Values has the 110-F (1989-1993) listed as "black DuPont Rynite stock". I did find some Rems that used Rynite as Sharpshooter mentioned. Now I'm confused!

Anything is possible. Maybe a limited special run they made or something? Who knows.

Maybe they existed but everyone just called them standard Savage Tupperware and swapped them for something better. I just never saw anything spoken of as “rynite”.

Banned
    Honestly, I don’t think it’s matters really. Look.. Made with “DuPont” Rynite” sounds good, sure! I wasn’t familiar with the name Rynite, however, I’m quite familiar with the product. It’s a Polyester resin based Thermoplastic. Polyester resin polymers became popular in 80’s & 90’s because of their toughness & resistance to chemicals. It’s an very inert material. However, “toughness” isn’t always a good thing. Tough, means giving up Rigidity to some extent. Hogue over-molded stocks, on the other hand, use a Fiberglass “skeleton” with rubber like elastomer molded, or “cast” over it. While the outside feels soft to the touch, the Fiberglass is very stiff, thus the Hogue will be the better performing option of the two.

Now that’s just a quick lesson in Thermoplastics, Rubber Copolymers & such, and mechanical Physics(without the abstract of Thermodynamics)

Yes savage used that material in 1990 for sure. My m24f has one in black. It’s hard and pretty solid stock and it’s aging well. So I would guess the bolt guns used it around the same time frame. Bet it’s rare synthetic stocks were not super popular back then.

https://cylindersmith.com/savage24/1990.html

go there for catalog.