Thread: Suppressed 300 BLK w/Pics

Basic Member

Suppressed 300 BLK w/Pics

Wondered what you Contender/Encore shooters are doing to set up your suppressed 300 Blackout/Whisper platforms. I'm thinking of getting into it for the sake of still wanting to shoot without doing further damage to these old ringing ears. Wondering if the there is a way to make a 16.25" barrel with suppressor look like it's nearly integral - or at least for some kind of shroud to start just after a standard forend so it doesn't look like a long skinny barrel with a big can hanging off the muzzle end. Purely cosmetic, I know, but I like things to look good, look symmetrical, and shoot good as well. My shootin' buddy says looks don't matter as long as it hits what you're aiming for, which is true of course. And the varmints don't care what it looks like either. But aesthetics are a matter of preference I suppose, and I like my firearms to look purty too. Anyway, I thought some of you may have been down this road already and might be interested in offering your thoughts, suggestions, experiences, and preferences along with pics if you have any to share. As always - much appreciated!

Team Savage
    have a custom forend made that ends at the can, or you could get a large diameter blank and have MGM make a custom barrel, I had this 1.375 barrel from a bolt rifle sent them the barrel and had it turned to fit a bull forend and left the full diameter forward for weight and looks NO MUZZLE brake needed, Sadly I cant have a can here in Kommiefornia

lClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3757[2].JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	281.6 KB 
ID:	9413Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3753[1].JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	281.8 KB 
ID:	9414

Basic Member
    That is cool! Was that a matte black finish applied by MGM and who made the forend?

Basic Member
    Very nice! And I'll second the question on the forend.

Basic Member
    I'm on the verge of ordering a 16" SSK in 300 Blk for one thing. Quiet. 4 grains of trail boss with a heavy cast bullet.

Yes, where did you get the forend?

Team Savage
    The forend was made by a guy in CO I think he has passed though I have tried to track him down for the last 4 years, he sold them mainly on ebay most were walnut some were maple, I textured painted the maple to match the plastic stock, The best part of the forend is the brass pillars free floating the barrel and threaded brass stud for the bi bod

Yes MGMs matte finish on the barrel

Jim rockwell made similar forends. I have one from jim jr like that but without the air holes. Its going on the 15” bullberry 22 k hornet when i get it. BT may remember the guy on ebay that made them also??

Yes, Dean from Colorado, who made the forends, passed away in 2020. His forends were definitely nice.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by BT View Post
    Yes, Dean from Colorado, who made the forends, passed away in 2020. His forends were definitely nice.
    Sadly guess thats what happens as we get older, His email and cell # went unanswered I have not tried again since last year, I was hoping the kids would eventually answer and sell me the tools and or finished product, He and I were working on a wider forend and a grip that would use switchable panels to fit different applications. Now I'm not doing as well so maybe for the best, Would of liked to of met him in person

Basic Member
    Yes indeed - time slips by. I remember seeing those forends on e**y and thought I ought to pick one up but never did. I kept a photo in my Contender/Encore picture file, again, just because I like looking at the purty stuff. As my wise shootin' buddy always says, "if you don't buy it when you see it, you may not get another chance." Sadly, now that I really want one, I may be out of luck. I know there are other makers out there, but those seemed to be one of a kind. And the prices from a few years ago are looking better all the time.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Normrep55 View Post
    Yes indeed - time slips by. I remember seeing those forends on e**y and thought I ought to pick one up but never did. I kept a photo in my Contender/Encore picture file, again, just because I like looking at the purty stuff. As my wise shootin' buddy always says, "if you don't buy it when you see it, you may not get another chance." Sadly, now that I really want one, I may be out of luck. I know there are other makers out there, but those seemed to be one of a kind. And the prices from a few years ago are looking better all the time.
    I wont tell you what I paid for some, But when I do find them now and again I gladly pay north of 100.00, His original price was 95.00 shipped so by todays prices closer to 200.00 probably. I just saw a box of bullets I used to pay 18.00 for now at 38.00 Yikes

Basic Member
    I remember that fellow. He also made a few skeleton lightweight aluminum chassis forends that used wood side panels. I think right now Tony is the best bet on forends. Unless you are running a Bullberry using a hanger bar the Encore needs pillars.