Thread: Lil' Gun powder in 357 Herrett

Basic Member

Lil' Gun powder in 357 Herrett

I'm getting ready to work up a load for a 10" 357 Herrett barrel I picked up. Gonna try 180 grain bullets first. I see that even though it is in the burn range for this cartridge there is no load data for Lil' Gun in this cartridge. Wondering if anyone here has tried it and give me an idea of a starting point that I could work up from. I have plenty of this powder but no data. May have to buy some 1680 if I can't find a starting point. I've been meaning to get some 1680 anyway but would still like to try the Lil' Gun.

Basic Member
    i'm watching this one!!!

I've got an old article on both Herrett's , I'll see if I can fine it. I haven't tried Lil Gun in anything , but I'm guessing it's designed for small cases ie, 9MM th 45 ACP , thus you will have a low loading density . You might look at the Cast boolit forum to see if there are any listings for the 357 H.
    1680 & a 10" bbl. should make for a good night time light show
    >
    Ok did a little research, the article I mentioned only used 4227, 2400 & 296, and stopped with a 170 silhouette bullet.
    The AA manual dosen't list the Herrett's but lists a 357 Max. in a T/C , and by the COAL, they are long seating the 180 & 200 gn. bullets. Besides their 1680 they list their 5744. while the 1680 will work easier in a powder despencer , the 5744 will give a higher loading density and looks like it produces about the same FPS, it does it at a lower pressure , something to consider with a Contender.

good luck in your project.

Basic Member
    I ran some Quick Load tables and in comparing the published data frim Hornady looking at the QL projected pressures for all min and max loads then you should be safe in starting at 22.5 grains of Lil Gun and working up from there of course watching for signs of excess pressure. If with your lot of powder you were to hit 25 grains without any excess pressure signs I would probably still stop there. As with any data this is a guideline and work up with caution. Hope this helps. Remember It has been said that Lil Gun can spike quickly when getting near max pressures in some cartridges. Wouldn't hurt to use a chronograph while working up.

Basic Member
    Yep, I've googled it til I'm blue in the face. Anyone reading this able to run this through quickload or some other ballistic software to find a starting point? I'd even pay somebody a few bucks for their time, if they'd help me out.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
    I ran some Quick Load tables and in comparing the published data frim Hornady looking at the QL projected pressures for all min and max loads then you should be safe in starting at 22.5 grains of Lil Gun and working up from there of course watching for signs of excess pressure. If with your lot of powder you were to hit 25 grains without any excess pressure signs I would probably still stop there. As with any data this is a guideline and work up with caution. Hope this helps. Remember It has been said that Lil Gun can spike quickly when getting near max pressures in some cartridges. Wouldn't hurt to use a chronograph while working up.
    Many thanks Bruce. Will definitely be using a chrono and checking case head expansion plus other signs of excessive pressure. I owe ya one. If I can ever help with anything just let me know.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D. Sanders View Post
    Many thanks Bruce. Will definitely be using a chrono and checking case head expansion plus other signs of excessive pressure. I owe ya one. If I can ever help with anything just let me know.
    Not a problem. Good luck with the loads.