Thread: 6.5x55 COAL not right

Basic Member

6.5x55 COAL not right

Just got a new shilen 6.5x55 barrel to install on 110 long action. I am beginning to wonder if the throat is cut too short. With hornandy OAL gauge and modified case using speer hot core 140 grain I get a max COAL of 2.987 with the bullet jammed on the lands. Cannot get anywhere near the Max COAL of 3.015. If I want to get 40 thousands off the lands would put me at 2.95. Is this something to be concerned about. Seems like it would reduce powder capacity quite a bit. On the other hand I might be able to use a 1st Gen short action versus a long action and get good accuracy.

Any thoughts?

there are some variations of 6.5x55, do you know exactly which reamer was used and when it was made?
    easier for you to read then explain all of it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5%C3%9755mm_Swedish
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

If you just got the barrel new, sounds like calling Shilen is your best option. If you got it from Northlander or another Vendor they should also have the specs for what they sold you. We can speculate but they should know what they made or sold.

Have you measured that bullet in another 6.5x55 chamber to compare?
    Last edited by pdog06; 03-25-2023 at 12:42 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdog06 View Post
    If you just got the barrel new, sounds like calling Shilen is your best option. If you got it from Northlander or another Vendor they should also have the specs for what they sold you. We can speculate but they should know what they made or sold.
    On Shilens website they list 2 options for a 25-06, not counting the AI option.

Have you measured that bullet in another 25-06 chamber to compare?
    No, this is my first 6.5x55.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger View Post
    there are some variations of 6.5x55, do you know exactly which reamer was used and when it was made?
    easier for you to read then explain all of it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5%C3%9755mm_Swedish
    No, ordered from northlands and specified the 6.5X55 Swedish which is supposedly the SAAMI version. I still cant find any specs for differences in chamber reamers. The only difference I can find between the Swedish, SE and SKAN is the amount of chamber pressure it is rated for.

I think I will find a box of factory ammo and see if it will even chamber

Banned
    I have had a Shilen in 260Rem for a number of years, and it had the same problem. But mine was Shilen direct. I couldn’t even seat bullets to 2.750” COAL, let alone SAAMI 2.800! I came across some others experiencing similar barrels and read that Shilen does a lead in section before the lands. I don’t know… But I ended up throating myself.

7. 03-25-2023, 12:44 PM

Quote Originally Posted by dillwt View Post
    No, this is my first 6.5x55.
    Sorry, I was reading your post but thinking about a 25-06 from talking to a friend at the same time about his, and wrote that instead…lol happens sometimes.
    I changed it in my earlier post so I don’t confuse anyone.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I have had a Shilen in 260Rem for a number of years, and it had the same problem. But mine was Shilen direct. I couldn’t even seat bullets to 2.750” COAL, let alone SAAMI 2.800! I came across some others experiencing similar barrels and read that Shilen does a lead in section before the lands. I don’t know… But I ended up throating myself.
    Interesting may have to visit my local smith.

6.5x55 SAMMI reamer has an extremely long throat. If you have the means, do a chamber
    cast and check from there. I do most of my own chambers, and anytime I get a new reamer,
    casting is the first thing I do to see what I have.....

Not sure of the CIP numbers for the reamers but these were also long in the throat for use
    in the 160gr military bullets of the time.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Banned
    Yeah it’s long throated! Not at look at surplus ammunition. Those bullets were hanging way out there!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    6.5x55 SAMMI reamer has an extremely long throat. If you have the means, do a chamber
    cast and check from there. I do most of my own chambers, and anytime I get a new reamer,
    casting is the first thing I do to see what I have.....

Not sure of the CIP numbers for the reamers but these were also long in the throat for use
    in the 160gr military bullets of the time.
    Only found 3 types of chamber reamers for 6.5x55 SAAMI, CIP and Match. Shilen only lists on chamber for the 6.5x55. I would bet on SAAMI Spec.

Basic Member
    Yeah it’s long throated! Not at look at surplus ammunition. Those bullets were hanging way out there!

No chance those would fit in my barrel.

Team Savage

Since you bought the barrel from Northland I'd give Jim a call and pose your questions.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Since you bought the barrel from Northland I'd give Jim a call and pose your questions.
    I will check with factory ammo first. If they will not chamber then I will get with Jim.

Just want to eliminate any error on my part.

Basic Member
    Barrel has been installed on receiver, a GO gauge will chamber and a NO Go gauge will not, correct?

Basic Member
    Just because a cartridge has a OAL of something does not mean that you will be able to load to that.... the bullet shape determines that. You may well have a problem- but long sleek bullets with the ogive further from the tip can obviously be loaded longer than round nose bullets. Not real familiar with the Speer 140- but I'm sure it's not a match bullet. If you look at a reloading manual they give a max OAL for each bullet- you can't just use the same info for them all.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post
    Barrel has been installed on receiver, a GO gauge will chamber and a NO Go gauge will not, correct?
    Chamber is fine, new factory sized case works great with just a bit of drag, I like to set minimal headspace, No-go arrives Friday. This problem not related to chamber, just throat related to bullet seating depth.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dillwt View Post
    Chamber is fine, new factory sized case works great with just a bit of drag, I like to set minimal headspace, No-go arrives Friday. This problem not related to chamber, just throat related to bullet seating depth.

I’ve been reading some since you posted this. If you search, you’ll find others who also were getting measurements of a short throat, using the Hornady OAL Gauge. But when they went to reloading, they just loaded to normal, based on whatever loading manual, and all well with the world.

If your chamber is good, there isn’t really a way the throat can be short for the 6.5x55. The SAAMI throat length is super long! You might want to try loading a few dummy rounds to COAL you wish & chamber them. Let me ask, we’re you actually getting Lands marks on the bullets when testing COAL? Or was the bullet just stopping?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whynot View Post
    Just because a cartridge has a OAL of something does not mean that you will be able to load to that.... the bullet shape determines that. You may well have a problem- but long sleek bullets with the ogive further from the tip can obviously be loaded longer than round nose bullets. Not real familiar with the Speer 140- but I'm sure it's not a match bullet. If you look at a reloading manual they give a max OAL for each bullet- you can't just use the same info for them all.
    I know, that's why I want to check factory ammo. If that does not chamber I definitely have a problem. the Speer load data specifies a COAL of 3.00 for that bullet which I would think is not jammed into the lands. The longest I can get with the Hornady OAL gauge and modified case is 2.987 with the bullet jammed into the lands. That indicates I may have a short throat. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Some throats for former military calibers are so long its hard to reach the lands. Bottom line if factory ammo will fit then I should be ok. Factory ammo is designed to fit all chambers that are within spec. If factory ammo will not fit I have a problem.

Basic Member
    I’ve been reading some since you posted this. If you search, you’ll find others who also were getting measurements of a short throat, using the Hornady OAL Gauge. But when they went to reloading, they just loaded to normal, based on whatever loading manual, and all well with the world.

If your chamber is good, there isn’t really a way the throat can be short for the 6.5x55. The SAAMI throat length is super long! You might want to try loading a few dummy rounds to COAL you wish & chamber them. Let me ask, we’re you actually getting Lands marks on the bullets when testing COAL? Or was the bullet just stopping?
    Dave, that's what has me confused. The 6.5x55 is supposed to have a long throat. The bullet is just stopping. I have actually dropped it into the chamber to eliminate a problem with the modified case ensuring that the bullet was into the throat. I am not getting land marks, but I may not be putting enough pressure. I have used a light to inspect for any possible obstructions but I don't see anything obvious. I will check again tonight applying more pressure and maybe a dummy round. Why would the bullet stop before hitting lands?

Banned
    Yeah, seems strange. But like I said, just try searching & you’ll find others through more than the last decade, who were looking at the same problem & using the this method. But all was actually fine. They loaded ammunition to proper Loading Manual COAL & recipes, and found good accuracy with no pressure problems. And the ones I found were 6.5x55 Swede specific! So, we might just overthinking it. Kinda like when people decide a Savage barrel is TRASH because they used a Bore Scope, without ever testing it.

Maybe try some factory ammunition first?

Basic Member
    Yeah, seems strange. But like I said, just try searching & you’ll find others through more than the last decade, who were looking at the same problem & using the this method. But all was actually fine. They loaded ammunition to proper Loading Manual COAL & recipes, and found good accuracy with no pressure problems. And the ones I found were 6.5x55 Swede specific! So, we might just overthinking it. Kinda like when people decide a Savage barrel is TRASH because they used a Bore Scope, without ever testing it.

Factory ammo coming with the No-Go gauge. I will set up a dummy round tonight per Speer Manual and check that.

Basic Member

Removed barrel and set up 4 Dummy Rounds at 3.00 and longer up to 3.15. Chambered the first one and it was obvious the round was not fully seated in the chamber. Tapped on the cartridge base lightly to fully seat brass. had to lightly pry cartridge out with screw driver. remeasured OAL. it was now 2.99 and seating in the lands. Very obvious thanks to Mr. Sharpie. Repeated process on the 3 remaining dummy rounds. Same results on all 3. So looks like I have a short throat. From looking at the rifling marks I can probably seat to OAL of 2.97 and be just kissing them. Not sure if this was by design from Shilen. I may keep it this way but shooting lead free may be a problem. Any Thoughts?

Banned
    Well, like I first said.. my Shilen in 260 Rem was the same way. So I reamed with a PTG Uni Throater. If you want, you can rent these from 4D Rentals inexpensively. (Where I got mine) https://4drentals.com/product/6-5mm-precision-throater/

Basic Member
    Try a different bullet other than the Speer. The Speer is kinda heavy and fat up front. Maybe try a Bal Tip or whatever Hornady is offering. If the quest is hunting - keep that in mind when selecting a bullet. If punching paper, any of the Match bullets from Berger, Sierra, Nosler, Hornady ... should be able to be seated out longer as they are sleeker.