Thread: what size thread is this?

what size thread is this?

I ALL FROM IRELAND,I JUST JOINED,I HAVE BOUGHT A Savage 12 BTCSS Laminate Thumbhole Stainless .223

,IT IS THREADED FOR A MODERATOR,CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT IS THE THREAD SIZE FOR A MODERATOR,THANKS

Basic Member
    It's either 1/2" x 28 tpi, or 5/8" x 24 tpi.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Unless someone did it after it left the factory. If it was threaded in Europe it might be metric.

Banned
    Snipereye, just so you know, your Model 12 is actually part of Model 10/110 family, not the Axis. You’ll get more views posting future questions concerning your ring in the forum section my friend.

Yeah, I didn’t even think of that when you asked. Being your over there in “Not America”, it could very well be metric I suppose. Funny… here in the US, we use SAE/Metric hand in hand. Many of us can switch the sizes on the fly, back & forth. No big deal. But it’s almost like Europeans are allergic to using SAE! I’ve watched Britts & Germans treat treat SAE like the PLAGUE or something! It’s terribly fascinating & utterly retarded phenomena, all at the same time.

Basic Member
    Some of the UK still follows Imperial sizes as well, so anything can be a mixed bag.

Just as bad as cars these days. Metric engines and sae frames or vice versa.

Have had stuff made in China that had metric and sae fasteners.

If you want complicated try working on old sewing machines. The mfgs made up their own sizes for just about everything.

By

"moderator" are you referring to a muzzle brake or a noise suppressor ? This is for my own knowledge. As to your question , the last number indicates TPI or threads per inch if they are SAE , just count the threads, no help on metric

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter0302 View Post
    By

"moderator" are you referring to a muzzle brake or a noise suppressor ? This is for my own knowledge. As to your question , the last number indicates TPI or threads per inch if they are SAE , just count the threads, no help on metric
    Shooter, it’s a Supresser. I wasn’t sure at first either. But then I found several Euro type sites talking about it. They call a suppresser a moderator Weird.. Kinda like how they pronounce Aluminum: Al-u-min-i-um. They add an extra “I”. Or they say disorientated, instead of disoriented.

Just a few of the oddities in “Not America”!

Dave , thanks, still gathering "supplies". As to the OP's question, sounds like a trip to a machine shop would be worth his time , sounds like he has to have that info to order his "moderator". From what I've read the suppressors here are cut with a little tighter tolerances ??

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WM Smith View Post
    Dave , thanks, still gathering "supplies". As to the OP's question, sounds like a trip to a machine shop would be worth his time , sounds like he has to have that info to order his "moderator". From what I've read the suppressors here are cut with a little tighter tolerances ??
    Gathering supplies?

“Tolerences” actually, are based on the machinist’s skillset &/or Tooling available to them. Not so much doing with the country making the product. For instance, China is of course, known for producing really crappy products, using sub-standard materials & having sloppy-Joe loose tolerances! However, Chinese companies are very capable of producing the absolute highest level of quality as well. They produce components as to what the specs call for, & the dollar amount provided.

thanks to all for replys,here are 2 pictures,and yes it is a supresser/moderator that ill be putting on,..i think myself it is 18x1

Basic Member
    I suspect you may be right. Whatever it is should be a standard size for metric adaptors.

Thanks all for replies,(dont know how to post individual thanks) im gonna order the moderator in the size 18x1,if im wrong, the moderator. A wildcat evolution,has interchangeable thread bridges,i can buy one for the right size if its not 18x1

Basic Member
    Just buy a thread gauge... in the U.S. you can buy a cheap one that has sae/metric for $5.... And then you don't have to worry about ordering the wrong part (and it will come in handy for other things also)...

update....it was indeed 18x1.got the moderator today,happy days ahead,thanks to all for replies