Thread: Seeking Help - 1952 Savage 99 Cartridge Guide

Basic Member

Seeking Help - 1952 Savage 99 Cartridge Guide

Good Afternoon Savage Colleagues:

I am once again writing about a recently acquired a 1952 Savage 99 chambered in 300 Savage. Based on available information, I believe this to be a Model 99EG.

When I received the rifle I fed a group of dummy rounds in the rifle and experienced intermittent feed problems. (see photos).

After consulting with the owner of a local gun shop, part of the problem may be related to the gentle way I was operating the lever; and potentially the condition of the dummy rounds.

In any case, I dismantled the rifle with assistance of the AGI Assembly/Disassembly video, which I highly recommend! I was suspecting the carrier assembly to be faulty or at least a problematic spring or tension. As a result, I ordered a number of replacement parts from a schematic diagram in anticipation of replacing them.The carrier body was significantly tarnished, and I attempted to clean the brass with brass cleaner "Brasso", however, the outcome was barely noticable. I did not dismantle the carrier assembly further as the spindle nut was staked onto the spindle. Since the spring appeared to be in tact, I didn't want to disturb the assembly as I didn't have the correct replacement parts. Most of the parts I received were different sizes and configurations from the original, and did not fit. These will be returned.

The only thing I did not remove from the receiver was the cartridge guide. I had ordered a replacement cartridge guide for the 300 Savage. When observing the replacement part, it was obvious that it was not the same configuration as the cartridge guide in the rifle. As I looked on the parts website, the photo that appeared to match the cartridge guide in my rifle was a guide for 308 Win.
    Please see photos of each.

Do these photos accurately reflect the two different cartridge guides?

Might it be possible that a previous owner could have changed out the cartridge guide in an effort to utilize the more readily available 308 Win cartridge? Would it even be possible to shoot 308 ammo in this Savage 99 designed for 300 Savage (I understood the internal pressure of the 308 Win to be significantly higher than the 300 Savage cartridge)? If this were to be the case - could this be the cause of the feeding problem I experienced?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback folks might have regarding this possibility of having the incorrect cartridge guide installed and the resulting issues.
    Last edited by Skip54; 03-19-2023 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Trying to add photos

.307 Is a rimmed .308 case, which would be required for your extractor. As to parts being changed, Entirely possible someone was trying to fix something with the wrong parts. Hope someone with better incite to the working operation of 99s can help.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger View Post
    .307 Is a rimmed .308 case . . .
    I do not understand this.

308 is longer than 300 Savage, necessitating a slightly longer receiver. I’ve never tried to fit a 308 in my 300, so I can’t say how close they are. A lotta guys would check the head spacing.

It’s possible that the wrong carrier is installed. The cartridge should lie in the carrier like a baby in their mothers arms.
    Last edited by Model24; 03-19-2023 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Typo

Basic Member
    I’m sorry, I was fixated on the carrier and you’re talking about the cartridge guide. Yes, the wrong cartridge guide could be the root cause of your failure to feed. Easy enough to remove and replace with the correct punch.

Basic Member
    Thank you for sharing by outer thoughts Blue Avenger.

Basic Member
    Thank you Model 24. Do you believe a 308 cartridge would fit in a receiver designed for 300 Savage? From what I found, it looks like the length of the 308 Win cartridge is 2.8” where the 300 Savage is 2.6”.

Basic Member
    Thanks Model 24. Assuming the cartridge guide is caliber sensitive, would you have or know where I can find photos to confirm the configuration of the correct guide for 300 Savage and 308 Win for a Savage 99?

Also, if I remove and replace the cartridge guide, how do you recommend holding the replacement in place to the receiver while inserting the two retaining pins? Small clamp?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip54 View Post
    Thank you Model 24. Do you believe a 308 cartridge would fit in a receiver designed for 300 Savage? From what I found, it looks like the length of the 308 Win cartridge is 2.8” where the 300 Savage is 2.6”.
    Those are OAL numbers. If the previous owner were a wacky handloader, they could make a 308 fit with a smaller or more deeply seated bullet. Weirder things have happened. But you would think they would re-stamp the barrel with the re-chambered caliber.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip54 View Post
    Thanks Model 24. Assuming the cartridge guide is caliber sensitive, would you have or know where I can find photos to confirm the configuration of the correct guide for 300 Savage and 308 Win for a Savage 99?

Also, if I remove and replace the cartridge guide, how do you recommend holding the replacement in place to the receiver while inserting the two retaining pins? Small clamp?
    I would try Numrich first, but they don’t necessarily illustrate the exact part. A general Google search would be next, but you would need to get lucky. I just looked at my EG, and there’s no way to get a useful photo with the scope in the way. Same story with my 243, and I don’t have a 308.

I don’t recall having much troubled installing the pins. A thorough deburring of the guide and a thorough cleaning of the slot was required. I might have made a tapered pin to assist alignment, I don’t recall.

Basic Member
    Thank you Model 24. I did call Numrich and they verified the part I received and the image on their website to be the correct part for the 300 Savage. if that's true - the cartridge guide installed in my rifle is incorrect.

The only issue is if the replacement part is correct for the specific 99 Model I have. I believe it to be a 99EG - however, I don't have 100% confirmation, and have been unable to confirm.

I have tried to remove the pins in the guide, however I am having difficulty as they are not moving, and hav already bent a brass punch... Letting some oil set in.

Basic Member
    Once again, I’m working from a flawed memory, but the pins come and go from the top. I think they need to be poked out from inside the receiver.

Model designations differ primarily in externals. A 300 Savage cartridge guide should be correct for your rifle even if it’s not an EG.