Thread: Scope view

Basic Member

Scope view

I got bad eyes. No scope has enough eye relief for me. If I get close enough to the scope to get a clear picture out to the edge, the scope will hit my face. (308)
    If I stay a safe distance away, I get a much smaller picture. I'm OK with that but wonder if it affects my accuracy. I put the crosshairs in the middle of what sight picture I have and do ok, but thinking I could do better.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Basic Member
    What make and model is the scope? What rings? Does your rifle stock have an adjustable cheek piece?

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    This is NOT a fitment issue.
    FOV issue!
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Field of View or Eye relief? You might need a scout or pistol scope.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Solo View Post
    I got bad eyes. No scope has enough eye relief for me. If I get close enough to the scope to get a clear picture out to the edge, the scope will hit my face. (308)
    If I stay a safe distance away, I get a much smaller picture. I'm OK with that but wonder if it affects my accuracy. I put the crosshairs in the middle of what sight picture I have and do ok, but thinking I could do better.
    We do that all the time using rifle scopes on handguns. Have to back up for eye relief. Lot of guys shooting long range. Hitting targets at 1000 yards is not that hard, so it must not effect accuracy that much.
    Last edited by Blue Avenger; 05-12-2023 at 04:03 PM. Reason: corrected statment.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Solo View Post
    https://scopesfield.com/best-long-eye-relief-scopes/

https://www.amazon.com/TACFUN-FIELD-.../dp/B010CF2SOI

Banned
    From what you indicated, it sounds like you simply do not have the the scope & your head positioned correctly. It has nothing to do with FOV. It’s not your eyes that are the problem. I too, have bad eyes.. well, EYE! My left eye is 100% blind & my right is heavily corrected with Astigmatism.

Your LOP, cheek rest & eye relief go hand in hand in hand. And then there’s your eye level, as Apollo referenced. First, make certain your head & cheek rest are in the same position every time. Then position the scope at the correct eye level and relief for full sight picture. Almost all scopes are within 3”-4” of eye relief. If you don’t have an adjustable cheek rest, you may need one, or you may need to change ring height. And of course, fitment issues with the scope size come into play when setting up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    From what you indicated, it sounds like you simply do not have the the scope & your head positioned correctly. It has nothing to do with FOV. It’s not your eyes that are the problem. I too, have bad eyes.. well, EYE! My left eye is 100% blind & my right is heavily corrected with Astigmatism.

Your LOP, cheek rest & eye relief go hand in hand in hand. And then there’s your eye level, as Apollo referenced. First, make certain your head & cheek rest are in the same position every time. Then position the scope at the correct eye level and relief for full sight picture. Almost all scopes are within 3”-4” of eye relief. If you don’t have an adjustable cheek rest, you may need one, or you may need to change ring height. And of course, fitment issues with the scope size come into play when setting up.
    I agree with Dave. Your visual acuity shouldn't affect eye relief. I wear trifocals with close, medium and far lenses. I have shooting glasses with only one focal point, distance viewing. That means the back end of the scope is out of focus for me, but I can see the target with a full field of view just fine.

Basic Member
    Question on glasses and reticle focus -

If you wear glasses, can you not wear them and instead just use the scope's ocular adjustment to focus the reticle?

Shouldn't you be able to get the reticle to focus by using that, no matter what type of correction you need?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
    Question on glasses and reticle focus -

If you wear glasses, can you not wear them and instead just use the scope's ocular adjustment to focus the reticle?

Shouldn't you be able to get the reticle to focus by using that, no matter what type of correction you need?

Thanks.
    I tried that and focusing the reticle is no problem, but I had issues focusing what I was looking at in the scope. It could be that my vision is so bad, the side focus couldn't compensate for it, or more likely, the side focus is working, but my uncorrected vision is too bad to see the target clearly without my corrective lenses.

Basic Member
    I have to agree, that kind of scope issue is from inconsistent eye relief. i have to use a PIC rail on all of my rifles due to a long neck and i need the scope a good distance further away. This means no using Talley rings/mounts.
    As was mentioned you will get better results if you use a proper cheek riser. the right cheek riser and a pic rail to always get the proper eye relief will get consistent results.

Basic Member
    I wear my prescription glasses when shooting. They are progressive so my head has to be in the same position each time to get a proper sight picture.

But, my correction for distance is not that much. I don't remember the optical path in scopes well enough to give you a solution other than a long eye relief scope. IIRC the problem is the exit pupil of the scope and how that compares to the lens in your eye and your glasses.

Banned
    This thread reminds me of being in firearms instruction. In doing so we often run into people who believe “this” or “that” won’t work for them. These types believe they are somehow the exception to the rule. And regardless that such & such configuration works for 100’s of thousands.. millions of others, it just won’t work for THEM! THEY are just somehow different. When in fact, it’s that person’s understanding and incorrect use which is the problem. LOL! My son did this as a teenager. He continued adding more LOP to his AR15. First going from an adjustable stock to a Gov. A2 stock. Then adding additional spacers, up to 2” besides! I insisted it was WAY too much LOP and he would never be consistent, yet he simply would not believe what I said was correct. Now I am 6’4” and in my hayday I used an adjustable stock set at almost the shortest position. My son was shorter than myself but still thought he needed this almost 17” LOP! Finally he conceded after the setup never felt correct to him, removed all the LOP & went back to an adjustable stock.. but a nicer one. I simply smiled.

Again, it was his understanding, rather incorrect understanding & improper use at the time. I believe this is the situation with the OP. His lack of further responding only further solidifies this for me. I believe he took a second look at his setup & likely approached the situation from a different angle.

AT Dave: YEP

I never seem to care if i can get the side focus to get the object clear. I want zero parallax. if you have the reticle focused with the occular adjustment and the side focus/Parallax adjustment is not clear when you have adjusted the parallax to nill, The eyes are bad or the scope is bad.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.