Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Savage Model 12 F/TR

Basic Member

Used Savage Model 12 F/TR

So, I recently found a used Model 12 F/TR (308) and have been thinking of buying it. I just am not that familiar with Model 12's. It looks to be in really good condition though, and I have bought used Savage rifles before with great success.
    Is anyone here familiar with this model, that would be willing to share some information? Just anything to look for, or that may be different from other models. I did notice that this barrel has a threaded brake on it, and I didn't think these had a brake since it was basically a factoryF-class gun. Maybe early models were made with a brake??? Like I said, I'm not familiar with this model at all. As far as I know it is the factory barrel...maybe the owner just had it threaded and a brake made for it?

I spoke with a few guys at the shop, and none of the ones I spoke with took it in used, and didn't know anything other than they've had it a very short time.

Thanks in advance fellas!

Basic Member
    I shoot a Mod. 12 LRPV in .204 and 2 Mod 12 FV's that have had a lot of stuff done to them in 20 Practical. Depending on Price it could be a real deal for you. My 12's have been incredible shooters. If the barrel has been shot out it's a easy fix with a precut barrel from Shilen or any barrel maker of your preference or even change the caliber that takes the same bolt face of the .308. I see from the pictures it's got the red target trigger that is easy to set to the pull you like. Just depends I guess on what your willing to spend. Good luck.

Banned
    That is a fantastic Savage. That Savage Action, being the port style, single shot, is favored as the most accurate of Savage Actions. It’s a Large Shank & already comes with some goodies.. the Target trigger, oversized bolt handle, upgraded Laminate target stock. Good find. Go ahead & snatch that up if the price is right.

Previous owner may have had the barrel threaded for a brake, a common practice.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    That is a fantastic Savage. That Savage Action, being the port style, single shot, is favored as the most accurate of Savage Actions. It’s a Large Shank & already comes with some goodies.. the Target trigger, oversized bolt handle, upgraded Laminate target stock. Good find. Go ahead & snatch that up if the price is right.
    They want $800 for it. The lowest price I've seen new has been about $1500-ish, used about $1000-$1100.

+1

Basic Member
    If I had been a little smarter when I was shopping I would have an F-TR or F-class instead of the 12BVSS. I'd love to have the heavier target action instead of the varmint one. I do believe the owner had the barrel threaded and compensator added. If it is a good one it will reduce recoil just a bit more, which would be a positive thing. The 1-12 twist and long barrel means it can push 155gn bullets, like the Bergers or Lapuas, out to 1000yd easily, as well as still being able to handle the 175's.

FWIW, it would also make a really nice cast bullet rifle for 600yd targets. :)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vince_ross View Post
    They want $800 for it. The lowest price I've seen new has been about $1500-ish, used about $1000-$1100.

Great deal! Grab it.

Team Savage

The action alone would sell quickly for $500, better buy it while you can!

If that's the model and the features you're wanting, I would say go for it. Worst case scenario, you can swap the barrel for a new one. They're really easy to change barrels on. I just did one yesterday in under an hour, and the only reason it took that long is that it's been over 10 years since I did one, and I had to round up all the tools from wherever I had stored them.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    If I had been a little smarter when I was shopping I would have an F-TR or F-class instead of the 12BVSS. I'd love to have the heavier target action instead of the varmint one. I do believe the owner had the barrel threaded and compensator added. If it is a good one it will reduce recoil just a bit more, which would be a positive thing. The 1-12 twist and long barrel means it can push 155gn bullets, like the Bergers or Lapuas, out to 1000yd easily, as well as still being able to handle the 175's.

FWIW, it would also make a really nice cast bullet rifle for 600yd targets. :)
    I actually missed out on a 12BVSS a little over a year ago...I saw one in 22-250 at a small gun shop and they wanted something like $750. I ended up not buying it for some stupid reason....my wife even said "you aren't buying it? Why not?" Ever since then, I've been on a mission to find something like this.

Yeah, the threaded compensator will be a good thing (I also run most rifles suppressed anyway). This will be a good option.

Great deal! Grab it.
    I actually just did! It should be at my local shop by the end of the week.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim View Post
    If that's the model and the features you're wanting, I would say go for it. Worst case scenario, you can swap the barrel for a new one. They're really easy to change barrels on. I just did one yesterday in under an hour, and the only reason it took that long is that it's been over 10 years since I did one, and I had to round up all the tools from wherever I had stored them.
    That's exactly what I was thinking....I do have a Savage barrel nut wrench on order and will pick up a good barrel vise also. That's another reason I've come to really like the Savage action.

My own 2 cents (worth every penny) would be to skip the barrel vice and go with an action wrench. Wrap the front of the action (just the portion that the action wrench will fit on) with scotch tape to prevent the action wrench from marring the finish on the front of the action. There's really no better way (in my opinion). Problem with a barrel vice is, unless the vice inserts fit your barrel you're trying to take out *exactly right*, there's a pretty good chance you'll mar the barrel finish. Or worse, that the barrel will just slip in the vice entirely, and you can't get enough grip to get the barrel loose.

I've never NOT been able to get a barrel off (or on, but that's easy) with an action wrench to hold the receiver, and a nut wrench and dead blow hammer to loosen the nut. I "hold" my action wrench in my shop bench vice to keep it stable and stationary. I think 3 smacks with the dead blow hammer on the action wrench is the most I've ever needed to get one loose. And that was on my buddy's blued finish 204 Ruger chambered Savage. Most have been 1 mild smack only.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim View Post
    My own 2 cents (worth every penny) would be to skip the barrel vice and go with an action wrench. Wrap the front of the action (just the portion that the action wrench will fit on) with scotch tape to prevent the action wrench from marring the finish on the front of the action. There's really no better way (in my opinion). Problem with a barrel vice is, unless the vice inserts fit your barrel you're trying to take out *exactly right*, there's a pretty good chance you'll mar the barrel finish. Or worse, that the barrel will just slip in the vice entirely, and you can't get enough grip to get the barrel loose.

I've never NOT been able to get a barrel off (or on, but that's easy) with an action wrench to hold the receiver, and a nut wrench and dead blow hammer to loosen the nut. I "hold" my action wrench in my shop bench vice to keep it stable and stationary. I think 3 smacks with the dead blow hammer on the action wrench is the most I've ever needed to get one loose. And that was on my buddy's blued finish 204 Ruger chambered Savage. Most have been 1 mild smack only.
    Awesome! Thank you for the information....I will look at those. Are most 2 lug action wrenches the same? I mean, will I need to order one specifically for a model 12, or will one for "savage action" fit all?

Such as this: https://patriotvalleyarms.com/bighor...action-wrench/

Banned
    Yes, that will work on all Savage 10/110, including your Model 12, & Axis Actions. There are maybe a half dozen of this type that will work with Savage. However, the Patriot Valley is the most affordable.

It looks like it has the short screw spacing. That would diminish the resale price slightly.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    For barrel stuff I just went to Northland Shooter Supply. They are great folks and will make sure you have what you need.

I got my action vise from NSS (and nut wrench, a new nut and go/no-go gages). I also bought my Shilen barrel from them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    It looks like it has the short screw spacing. That would diminish the resale price slightly.
    It has the 3 bolt action, not sure what the spacing is yet.

Banned
    Just measure between the centers. Don’t know off the top of my head, but it does look like one of the Actions with 3.440” screw spacing. And someone just had a brake installed. But the shorter screw spacing only matters for locating a new stock; which is moot being it already has a very good option.

I would not worry about screw spacing at all. The only thing that affects is IF you're out shopping for an aftermarket stock.

I agree with the testament about NSS. Northland is what got me set up in the first place. Outstanding service. He even stood by on the phone while I did my very first barrel swap (which went perfectly).

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    For barrel stuff I just went to Northland Shooter Supply. They are great folks and will make sure you have what you need.

I got my action vise from NSS (and nut wrench, a new nut and go/no-go gages). I also bought my Shilen barrel from them.
    Same here on both counts - very nice people to work with.

Basic Member
    Just measure between the centers. Don’t know off the top of my head, but it does look like one of the Actions with 3.440” screw spacing. And someone just had a brake installed. But the shorter screw spacing only matters for locating a new stock; which is mute being it already has a very good option.
    Thank you for that! I've never had a rifle with a 3 bolt action, I have read about tuning the rifle with different torque settings to find a "sweet spot" for accuracy. I've done that with my other rifles.
    I do like the looks of the stock, I'm looking forward to trying this out. I don't plan on changing the stock. I will need to order a scope base rail for it though. Anyone know if this takes a short or long action type and screw size? I have a few that are 6-48 and some that are 8-40.

Thanks again for everyone's help and all of the information, I've been trying to learn all I can about these rifles.

I had to put a new hole in a 3.44 screw spaced action to put it in a better stock. At that point it was less valuable. I have never had that issue with a 4.4. I did end up drilling out a LRPV stock to 4.4 for my grandaughters F class rifle.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Vince, it uses a Short Action, Round-Rear type rail. Best to wait until you have it and verify the screw size yourself.

Some believe in playing with screw torque settings. I am not among them. I believe in stock Creep only, which can cause strange things. The stiffer the stock material, the less Creep is a factor. The F T/R uses pillar mounts. So it is quite stiff. Bedding would further enhance it. No harm in playing withTorque settings of course. I just think it’s better served in reloading.

Basic Member
    Vince, it uses a Short Action, Round-Rear type rail. Best to wait until you have it and verify the screw size yourself.

Some believe in playing with screw torque settings. I am not among them. I believe in stock Creep only, which can cause strange things. The stiffer the stock material, the less Creep is a factor. The F T/R uses pillar mounts. So it is quite stiff. Bedding would further enhance it. No harm in playing withTorque settings of course. I just think it’s better served in reloading.

Thanks for the information Dave, I'm hoping to be able to pick this up by Saturday so I'll find out soon. The plan is, to just go through and clean everything, make sure everything is tight to spec, put a scope on it and just see how it shoots. I'm really excited to try this out. I recently picked up another model 12FV with a Boyd's stock from a local gun show, and it shot a .5 MOA group with 7 out of 10 different OTS ammo brands. I'm happy with that one also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast