Thread: Boyds stock woes.. drilling for pillars and inletting didn't go well

Basic Member

Boyds stock woes.. drilling for pillars and inletting didn't go well

Got a boyds stock for my 35 rem conversion. I thought at first I was getting a wood stock with laminate, not a plywood stock. Either way finish was great. Barrel channel sanded well. Couple big irks, the inlet for the bottom metal was short and not quite deep enough but no big deal, extended it with a flat carbide burr which did the job great but then opened up a hole to the recoil lug area.

Then I drilled for pillars, originally I had 7/16 OD pillars but no way they can work. Set it up straight in the drill press, stepped Drills up until I got to 3/8 (sharp, new bits), once I got the size right before 3/8 it tore out the whole channel in the front, now I have a slot from the mag well to the pillar, but still holds in a 3/8 bit.

The back hole tore out towards the trigger area (rear) and a little in front it took a chunk out.

Kinda disappointed in the stock. Very soft material, don't expect it to last long. I suppose I was expecting a wood with laminate stock, should have researched more.

Anyways, will this stock still work with the channels torn into the holes? I'm going to buy lamp rod and use that for pillars now. I figure it will be fine once pillars are in since that's what will be supporting the bolts to the reciever, and once the epoxy sets them in.

Opinions? Sorry don't have pics, just kinda frustrated lol. I can try for pics before work

Basic Member
    Sorry to hear. Mine went well. Laminated wood is plywood. Differences in wood used, thickness of the wood plies, direction of grain and mfg process make a lot of difference. Sounds like yours may have had a 'dry spot'.

I'd be tempted to apply some thinned epoxy resin to the stock where it was gouged. At least make sure it is sealed up before you use the bedding material with the pillars.

Basic Member
    You just need more bedding compound. It will be fine to shoot and use, just not a museum piece

Basic Member
    Yeah I used some titebond 2 wood glue to kinda keep what crack and chunks I could from getting worse, worked it in. I think I'm gonna get the pillars cut (just picked up some lamp tube) and epoxy them in place, and the front area where it made an open channel, I'm gonna seal that off and fill with bedding material so it will be back to the original shape and also adhear to the back side of the pillar locking it in for sure.

As far as the hole in the bottom of the lug area I'll have to block with modeling clay and at least bed the lug area. Wasn't gonna bed the action but might as well do at least a small job around the lug area at the minimum

When I drill a stock for pillars I don't use a regular drill bit but instead I use a piloted counterbore tool, it centers itself on the screw hole and makes it really hard to screw up the holes. You also need a pretty solid set up, if things move while you are drilling it can cause all sorts of problems. Tearing chunks of wood out is usually caused by a dull tool, incorrect spindle speed or movement of the work piece or a combination of any/all of these. Like the previous posters have said, you should be fine with a little extra bedding compound. Be sure and post some pictures when you get finished with your project!
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    When I drill a stock for pillars I don't use a regular drill bit but instead I use a piloted counterbore tool, it centers itself on the screw hole and makes it really hard to screw up the holes. You also need a pretty solid set up, if things move while you are drilling it can cause all sorts of problems. Tearing chunks of wood out is usually caused by a dull tool, incorrect spindle speed or movement of the work piece or a combination of any/all of these. Like the previous posters have said, you should be fine with a little extra bedding compound. Be sure and post some pictures when you get finished with your project!
    Thats why a milling machine is awesome, LOL! Seriously, long as you’re clamped down and use good bits, you’ll be ok. I agree, piloted bits are nicer, but they are expensive. A Forstner bits also work well. Honestly though, with the size bit you’ll be using, as long as the point is centered and you start with a small bit first, it’ll be just fine.

I agree on pics. Would like to see some of your work. I really enjoy seeing others modification jobs. Great fun seeing other’s talent.