Thread: HELP! Newbie here with a stuck closed Savage 24V! .223 over 20ga

HELP! Newbie here with a stuck closed Savage 24V! .223 over 20ga

I inherited my deceased dear father's gun collection. Some interesting stuff but grew up with some so it's like being your again. Anyway on real interesting rifle is his Savage 24V combo over/under with a .223 and the 20 ga shotgun. Pretty good shape with an okay scope.

Problem is it is just stuck closed! I believe it's empty and and have carefully cocked and fired both barrels. But can't be sure.

PLEASE is anyone can give me guidance on how to try to fix?? I went to a local gunsmith at a range nearby but he tried but suggested I just go home to search the Internet.

I live outside Chicago and there are not a lot gunsmiths but I am open. I am pretty capable with tools and willing to try any ideas.

Thanks so much!

And sorry if this is the wrong forum let me know and I'll cut and paste over.....TIA

Craig

First things first, is the break open lever moving or is it what's frozen up? If it's moving, you'll probably just need to soak the hinge pin area with penetrating oil for a day or two. If the break open lever is frozen up, you'll need to pull the butt stock off and soak the internals in penetrating oil. Butt stock is held on by a bolt accessible under the butt plate just like most shotguns.

These guns are fairly simple in design, but they have a heck of a main spring in them so I don't recommend trying to strip the internals down unless you have a good way to compress and hold that spring for assembly/disassembly.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Thanks! The break open lever was free both directions just not all that far. Kept trying but just solid. I did as you suggested and was very easy and systematic to take the stock off and get to the receiver.

I did see a YouTube on taking the dual spring out the holds the break open lever centered. I pulled back on the release bar pretty hard with zero luck. So I sprayed more
    Ballistol Multi-Purpose and wrapped it up in a cloth over night. Tried again this morning with no luck.

I then took an electric heat gun a heated the whole receiver part (not real hot just warming it all) then tried pulling the release bar and VIOLA!!!
    ​I did do the rookie mistake and popped out one of the springs for the lever that had a little turned nose cone in the end. Held the spring but nose cone end shot into my workshop space !! Needle in haystack but looks like a common part.

Thanks for your help!! appreciate it.

I'll have look for the part if I can't find in my workshop.