Thread: Savage Model 430 O/U 16ga.

Savage Model 430 O/U 16ga.

I recently inherited an old Savage 430 16ga O/U. I've been trying to find some info (yrs of production, parts, etc.) on this model but there isn't a lot available. Gun had been sitting in a gun safe unfired for at least 30yrs that I know of. I want to completely disassemble and refinish the wood, barrels and receiver. It's a tank of a gun, but would like to use it for dove hunting. I've removed the foregrip, but can't figure out how to remove the barrel assembly. Anybody have some words of wisdom for me? Thanks

Basic Member
    Forearm off then break it open like for loading but only part way. you will find the sweet spot to lift the barrel assembly off the receiver. There are 2 flat plates , one each side of the receiver that the barrel assembly mates onto. these in turn connect to a saddle that imparts the movement to re cock the unit. These units were made by Valmey ( spelling?) Norway is headquarters iirc. I have a 430 with12 & 20 gauge barrels sets. after thousands of rounds I had one part failure due to wear. I did get a replacement part, don't remember where nor the cost. that was back around 2000. I got it used back in the mid seventies. The bluing of the barrels is some sort of electrolisis process it is not rust blued and the under lying steel does not take to traditional blueing touch up chemicals. I haven't used it much since I repaired it, although my oldest son used it for a season of trap shooting and some bird hunting. I have a couple other o/u units I use now days with interchangeable chokes. The 430's were the plain jane units the 440 were grade above. hope this helps, Chris