Thread: MK II Barrel accuracy

Unhappy MK II Barrel accuracy

Hello,
    I recently purchased a second MK II BTVS and planned on using it for club bench rest competition. I also have a second MK II BTVS which I have had for several years and the older one is ridiculously accurate, shooting 3/8 inch groups at 50 yards using CCI SV. The new rifle is not so accurate, not even close. It will shoot two or 3 shots right on the bullseye and then 2 or 3 3/4 inch one way or the other. I have shot the rifles side by side to compare and used the same box of CCI SV with both rifles to eliminate ammo issues. I have ordered a aftermarket floor plate which should be in by the end of the week, and am now looking for different SV ammo's I can try to see if there is one the rifle will shoot accurately. Any recommendations on ammo that won't force me to remortgage the house to try and or other suggestions on other things to try? I know Alot of guys say CCI SV is prefered to most other ammo in there rifles as it is in my original MK II but when I use it in the new rifle it is just ugly. I am hoping there is an affordable ammo solution out there. Also I am a bit confused as to how the new rifle can shoot a few good shots here and there and look like bird shot on other groups, I dont see it being dead on now and then but mostly wild. I have also tried Aquila SV with this rifle and had the same results.

Basic Member
    HI - First, have you tried the suggestions on your RFC thread to help accuracy ?? Lightening the trigger pull is the first and cheapest thing to do. Try grabbing some boxes of SK+ and SK Rifle match and SK Flat Nose. I've found these All very good in my B22-FV and Sav 64s and CAZ455 and Marlin 60. I'd suggest staying away from any ammo at 1200fps or over, even if they're not 'called' HV. Also, you could try some Sub-sonics in whatever flavour you can find.

I have lightened the trigger as low as it will go, which is just under 1.75 pounds on my trigger pull gauge. Also I just purchased several boxes of SK Standard plus, Eley match and SK Rifle match. It's blowing 30 mph here today so I can't test them to so if it makes a difference but I may wait till I have the new floor plate and try the ammo without the new plate and again after installing the new plate to see if either helps, all on the same range trip.

Basic Member
    Here's a pdf I collected info on trigger mods, you may have already done these but just in case . . .
    Attached Files Attached Files

Team Savage
    Have you investigated changing the barrel? How much is involved? Can you buy a replacement for a reasonable price? Can you change it yourself?

Face it, in a $250 Savage rifle, the barrel is a crap shoot. I have been looking at the Walmart package, Mark II in a Boyds stock, but I worry about the barrel quality and how to change it.

22lr rifles can be so picky over ammo brands right down to a new Lot number of the ammo you likes so well So try a different brand like SK rifle match or one of there other choices . And old long time favorite and purdy accurate ammo was Federal 711B but that was when it was a $4.50 a box , Its hard to find any today . much less a brick or a case of it . One think I learned years ago Find an ammo you like and can afford and with a change of the lot number its not longer likes your barrel so try another brand . As price per box goes up so does consistency most times but even then a brand that shoots the best at 50 yards may not be the best at 75 or 100 yards . .

You can polish your sear and contact point of the trigger to smooth and lighten the trigger pull slightly and I shortend the trigger return spring by 1.5 coils I think ! You can adjust the pull weight heavier still so don't worry . My Savage MKII BV has a 12oz trigger pull weight and is all stock , just tuned . I learned what to do at the time off rimfire central but I have not visited that sight in years . I used my savage for ground hog control with a longest head shot using sk rifle match was 104 yards . I use a long discontinued 6-24x50 tmd scope on it . Fun cost smart rifle when I still drag it out to play with .

Basic Member
    Have you Cleaned the chamber area? Even a small round count could foul that area and f-up accuracy. And did you adjust the torque as I suggested on RFC? Around 15-20 inch-pounds should be enough to hold without stressing the action, too much can warp it OR the stock. And if you get the 'new floor plate' don't crank down on that - the torque s/b kept low , as I said. Why even replace it ?? And have you tried to ask someone to 'watch you' and see if you're unintentionally doing something 'wrong'? "Jerking" trigger, flinching, not holding 'long enough' ?? Lotsa possible things.
    Finally, it may be that you need to try more brands, some barrels are picky as Hardluk1 says.

Basic Member
    My B22 Precision shoots the same as yours with most ammo. I found the SK Pistol Match Special and the Lapua Pistol King shoot the best in mine so far. Very few flyers and they usually stay closer to the group. I'm pretty sure they are the exact same ammo in a different box. I'm still testing whenever I can find a good match ammo but so far these work the best for me. Try any ammo you can find in the 1050-1080fps range Mine shoots Eley (many different varieties) like crap bulk pack high velocity stuff...

Team Savage
    What scope is on the 1st and 2nd rifle?
    Clean the barrel and make sure you dont have a carbon ring and buy some good target subsonic ammo, and single feed, and try it again.
    Beside the ammo, you could be scraping the side of the bullet when clambering from a magazine with your second rifle.
    That could be one reason for the couple of fliers.