Thread: Magpul Hunter Stock for 110

Magpul Hunter Stock for 110

After a long wait, my new stock arrived today...

Basically, I think it's a terrific $200 upgrade over my 2015-vintage FCP-SR's non-adjustable "Accu-Stock." It feels much more substantive, and it's a godsend to be able to adjust the LOP. I had taller combs ready to go, but the one that came with it puts my eye right behind the scope.

I was most unhappy with the feeding problems from Savage's OEM magazines, and so I'm hopeful that this is going to work much better with AICS-pattern mags.

In the meantime, some quibbles:

1. The buttstock doesn't have any way to adjust cant, like the PRS on my AR does.

Maybe my shoulder is oddly shaped, but a regular elongated egg-shaped buttstock fits me best when it's canted at 11 o'clock, but I don't want to hold my rifle canted like that.

2. Magpul is stingy and weird with the M-LOK slots. There are only two along the bottom, which means that using Magpul's own bipod mount (which takes up 1-1/2) means that there's no room for anything else.

Also, there are three at the front of the handguard one each side (actually, facing slightly upwards, like 10 o'clock), but only the first one is flat, and there are none near where you actually grip the rifle... I was hoping to install Magpul's own grippy rail covers.

3. I was excited about the sling slots on the sides of the buttstock, because I wanted to mount a sling on the left side of the rifle, because (a) there's no room for another sling swivel under the handguard (see #2, above), so it'll be mounted on the side of the handguard, and (b) that would keep the sling out of the way when I'm shooting off sandbags.

However, the slot is so thin that my nice leather Turner 1907 sling won't fit through it — it's not even close. Even if the slot were a bit bigger, there's no way that a proper frog would fit through it, which means a regular 1907 sling is a non-starter.

Again, the PRS does it better... The PRS's slot easily fits a leather sling, and it's removeable, so it's easy to screw it down over the sling (and then it doesn't matter that the frogs don't fit through).

Tomorrow I'll get it out and shoot it (and take some photos).

Thanks for the detailed initial thoughts on this stock. Curious how you are liking it if you got a chance to shoot. Or anyone else that has gotten one for that matter.
    I’m considering picking up one of these

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdog06 View Post
    Or anyone else that has gotten one for that matter.
    I’m considering picking up one of these

I have a Hunter stock, but it's for my Rem 700. I do really like it, but it's not very customizable other than LOP. It is rock solid and is 1000% better than the factory junk stock that my rifle came with. I would buy it again, as I am looking at one for my 110 Tactical. I do think that $285 is too high of a price though. I got mine on sale for about $200 ($201.58 w/tax and shipping).

Thanks for the info. I’ve gotta local gun shop that has a 110 Hunter with the Magpul stock on it that I’m gonna go handle one day this week just to get a better look at it.

I’ve been looking at them for sale from different vendors and a couple have stated that it requires that you use a factory acculug with this stock, but I am trying to confirm that for sure because most of the sites do not mention it at all. If that’s the case I will be using a dremel instead of an acculug…lol
    Last edited by pdog06; 04-02-2023 at 07:32 PM.

Basic Member
    Also, I forgot to mention....The Magpul stock added a good bit of weight to setup, which I really like. I am glad I bought the stock, it was the perfect replacement and did what I wanted.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    In the meantime, some quibbles:

1. The buttstock doesn't have any way to adjust cant, like the PRS on my AR does.

Maybe my shoulder is oddly shaped, but a regular elongated egg-shaped buttstock fits me best when it's canted at 11 o'clock, but I don't want to hold my rifle canted like that.

Why not? If that is how the rifle fits the best then it will also be how you shoot the best. Having the rifle slightly canted is not going to introduce problems into your shooting- it is when the scope is canted that it creates issues. All you need to do is figure out how you are going to be holding the rifle- and then have the scope level to that position. Leveling the scope to the rifle is not always the best option- which is why I prefer to have a level that attaches to the scope vs the ones in the rails of rifles.

The adjustable cant stocks do make it easier- but then they wouldn't have been able to hit the price point.

So this morning I handled the 110 Magpul Hunter rifle at a local gun shop to get a good look and feel of the stock because I have been considering getting one for a build. Really liked the feel of it and it seems very sturdy. Should work good off a bench or off a bipod. But had some questions that I still needed answers for.

So I just got off the phone with Magpul. Just a couple takeaways from the conversation:

1- I initially called to ask them about if their stock requires the barreled action to use an “accu-lug”, or if a standard recoil lug will work. They assured me that it does not require an acculug, although The stock listing on J&A outdoors states that it does. However Magpul or no other sites says anything about it. Time will tell cause I’m about to order one. I will be using a Northlander lug so I’m sure I will still need the dremel or something to get a good fit.

2- I asked Magpul about how their stock accommodates for the bolt release button for a bottom bolt release action? After all they say it fits all actions after 2006(paraphrasing but basically what it says). After a brief pause, the tech guy at Magpul told me the bottom release action will fit fine due to the 4.4 screw spacing(duh! But Not what I asked), but the user would need to come up with some sort of tool(aka thin flathead screwdriver) to stick up in there(I guess he meant up in the trigger guard beside trigger?) to move the bolt release lever! Not very practical at all!
    So basically they did not accommodate for the bottom bolt release actions. Virtually what damn near every new savage action is now. But I guess this explains why the Savage Magpul Hunter rifle comes with a top bolt release action….

Just something for people to consider when thinking of getting this stock.

Banned
    If a person wants it enough, a modification can be made fairly easily. Also, it’s not like the BBR models are Savages entire line. There are like 15 BBR models, and including the Axis/Axis II, 10 TBR models. (Magpul is releasing a stock for the Axis as well.)

But yes, those with the BBR should be aware of certain limitations. This is why hands down any Savage fan will recommend the TBR model.

Exactly.

I ordered it this afternoon. I should have it by the end of next week. I decided I’m actually going to use my top bolt release action in that stock. That way I don’t have to deal with it. I will know more about the Recoil lug fit once I get it.

Banned
    Oh yeah.. same applies to the Recoil Lug. Nothing special about the so called “Accufit” Lug. It’s shorter…. And has semi-shoulders. Quite easy to get any machined Lug & cut/file/sand to shape. Or, more accurately worded, to Fit.

Ok so I received my Magpul Hunter stock yesterday and set my barreled action in it today! Dropped right in perfectly!

So to answer the questions I mentioned in an above post:
    1)- you DO NOT need an acculug for this stock to fit, unlike mentioned on J&A Outdoors website listing. I have my barreled action sitting in it perfect with using a trued factory lug, but also did a test fit using my other action and a trued Northlander lug, which is both longer and fatter than factory for those who didn’t know already.

2)- a BOTTOM bolt release action will indeed work, but you will need to use a small flat screwdriver to use the bolt release. Not ideal in any way if you use a bottom bolt release action. If you ever needed to remove the bolt while out in the field hunting you would be screwed. Magpul did relieve one side of the stock at this location to be able to get in there with a tool.
    *But someone like Dave who loves to tinker and make his own specialty pieces could definitely modify the bottom metal(plastic actually) or weld and extend the bolt release lever so that it can be done without using a screwdriver to move the lever.* Future project for you here Dave. Right up your alley.

Here you can see where they relieved the area in the stock and also how much room is in front of the trigger for Dave to figure out how to make a tab or something to make the lever work right…

Also, as you can see in one of my above pictures, if you wanna use this rig as a single shot just simply pull the barreled action and place in a Sharpshooter Supply single shot follower. The DBM frame holds it in place with only a tiny amount of movement. The mag will cannot be used while you do this though, obviously. It will not fit all the way in.

The other takeaway was that my varmint contour barrel fit perfectly free floated in the barrel channel, but I believe any barrel larger than a varmint contour is used the stock will most likely need the barrel channel opened up.

Banned
    Great pictures Pdog! Oh yeah! That’s an easy fix! Actually, looks like a little slide-on, polymer lever would work well. If I happen to come across someone with the setup, I’d be up for that.

Yep. Just something to extend the lever down past the trigger guard and it would be good.