Thread: Current prices

Current prices

I was at a gun show yesterday afternoon looking for TC stuff and found a NIB G2 stainless .44 Magnum pistol, asking price, $1000.00. I thought this seemed way too high and since I had no interest in the .44 barrel I asked if he would consider selling just the frame, nope. I have never owned a G2 and only fired a couple of shots from one so I have been sort of looking for one to try out but wow. What do you guys think, I'm going to Tulsa at the end of the month, should I just wait and hope to find one there cheaper or should I go back and cough up a grand for the one at the show?
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

My opinion is that the seller wants too much for it.

$1000? Is there something special about it?

Is it a full rig with really nice wood and a really nice scope and a custom barrel?
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim View Post
    My opinion is that the seller wants too much for it.

$1000? Is there something special about it?

Is it a full rig with really nice wood and a really nice scope and a custom barrel?
    Nope, it's new in the original box, stainless pistol with factory plastic furniture.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    $1000 for a complete NIB G2 is actually lower than the prices I see for any G2. Actions are going for $600 by themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by pacecars View Post
    $1000 for a complete NIB G2 is actually lower than the prices I see for any G2. Actions are going for $600 by themselves.
    I never would have imagined !

Team Savage
    I'd pay it, Sell of the parts you don't want, Or just be happy with a new TOY !!!!! that you will enjoy for alonnggggg time

Basic Member
    I wouldn’t pay that, but mostly because I have no interest in a G2 and I’m a cheap skate! To me, barrels are still $350ish in good shape, frames can be had around $450-$550 and a wood/Pachmayr set is $150 or less…..actually Pachmayrs for $120 is possible. That is $1000, but I’m getting what I want vs some barrel and plastic I don’t care for.

Even though they may never go down in price. I would hold off for a decent price on a frame only. Maybe trade into one

G2’s are fantastic and I doubt prices will come down much, if at all, unfortunately. The days are gone when you could get a frame with grip set for $300 or a complete carbine for $400. These things are bringing double now because they’re not made anymore and are harder to find. It’s frustrating and aggravating, for sure.

Well, I didn't make it back to the show but I don't think I would have paid that price unless it was for a caliber I wanted and something other than plastic grips. I'm confident I'll be able to find something in Tulsa. Heck, I might even stop by Jerry's Sporting Goods and get lucky.

Basic Member
    Bob...be careful, i have it on good authority that guy has the attention span of a goldfish; a few more violent recoil incidents & he will likely be declared mentally incompetent. (Or maybe mentally incontinent?) And his wife will agree to that!

what day are you going to the show? I'll likely be there wandering about on Saturday, looking for the next unplanned impulse buy...maybe Sunday too, depending on how sore my feet are from trying to see everything on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by FyrepowrX View Post
    Bob...be careful, i have it on good authority that guy has the attention span of a goldfish; a few more violent recoil incidents & he will likely be declared mentally incompetent. (Or maybe mentally incontinent?) And his wife will agree to that!

what day are you going to the show? I'll likely be there wandering about on Saturday, looking for the next unplanned impulse buy...maybe Sunday too, depending on how sore my feet are from trying to see everything on Saturday.
    I'll be there both days unless I run out of fun tickets first, probably will only be there a couple of hours Sunday. I'm driving down on Friday morning, depending on how early I get started I should arrive early afternoon.

Basic Member
    I'd like to see the OP get a good deal just like I enjoy them. However what is a good price? All firearms are up big time. Everything, everything is double or more what we paid 20 years ago?

I guess I'd like to pay $500 but have everything already in the safe worth $1000

Basic Member
    The problem with buying any TC frame now is that there is no place to send it for repair if something happens. TC and S&W had a lifetime warranty. "No charge for repair or replacement" That was a big selling point for the TCs.

Quote Originally Posted by Julesk View Post
    The problem with buying any TC frame now is that there is no place to send it for repair if something happens. TC and S&W had a lifetime warranty. "No charge for repair or replacement" That was a big selling point for the TCs.
    I have had pretty good luck finding any parts I needed and I have the ability to fix most things myself although I have to say that the TC guns have been very dependable for me. The lack of warranty is of no consequence to me. It's just the idea of paying 2 to 3 times what we paid only a couple of years ago for the same stuff, my favorite frames are the pre easy open frames and even though they can be had for a little less money they are usually in a little worse condition than the newer stuff.

I continue to haunt my local gun shops.
    Haven't found a used contender there in about a year,
    Got lucky this last week and a G2 carbine In 224 Valkyrie
    popped up for $539. Blue with Walnut stocks , stainless
    MGM barrel... I will sell the Valkyrie barrel and replace it
    with 1 from my barrel queue.
    O.P. You made the right call on passing on the thousand dollar g2 imho

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    I have had pretty good luck finding any parts I needed and I have the ability to fix most things myself although I have to say that the TC guns have been very dependable for me. The lack of warranty is of no consequence to me. It's just the idea of paying 2 to 3 times what we paid only a couple of years ago for the same stuff, my favorite frames are the pre easy open frames and even though they can be had for a little less money they are usually in a little worse condition than the newer stuff.
    I have had stretched frames that Thompson Center or S&W replaced or made good.

Basic Member
    I did just buy a Contender frame for $275 shipped so they are out there

Quote Originally Posted by pacecars View Post
    I did just buy a Contender frame for $275 shipped so they are out there
    Congrats! I'll get something sooner or later. I have a habit of getting a frame for every barrel and I have a few orphans right now with another one on the way.

Grips for a G2 frame have been difficult for me to find a good set on the used market. I'm setting on a new G2 frame with a .357 mag. barrel and no grips.

Quote Originally Posted by Teep View Post
    Grips for a G2 frame have been difficult for me to find a good set on the used market. I'm setting on a new G2 frame with a .357 mag. barrel and no grips.
    Don't know exactly what you are after but this guy has some really nice stuff,

http://www.highplainsgunstocks.com/premade-grips.html

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    Don't know exactly what you are after but this guy has some really nice stuff,

http://www.highplainsgunstocks.com/premade-grips.html

i have two Encore rifle stocks laminates in High Plains.

Well, I made it to Tulsa last weekend! I came away with a nice early Contender frame, a pretty nice Herrett grip, an Encore pistol frame with factory plastic furniture that looked new, a Super 16 .45/70 barrel that also looked new and a couple of dovetail locks. Prices were all over the map and I certainly could have spent much more but even including admission for both days and lunch on Saturday I still walked out less than $900.00 lighter. I thought it was a pretty good trip even though I still don't have a stainless frame.