Thread: I ned help !!!

bartrak

I ned help !!!

I am new to the forum as well as new to Savage. I traded for a model 110 in 270 cal. and want to change to a varmint barrel. I see from looking at the ads that folks have several but some say large shank and small shank. What is the diffewrence and which one do I look for? My gun has the accutriger and internal box magazine. Need an education on Savage.

Re: I ned help !!!

Plenty of advice through out the forum on this,but from what I have gathered if the barrel nut is 5/8" in length it is large diameter- 7/8" and it is small.
    [ <----------> ]
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

hailstone

Large shank barrels have a small step in diameter just before the threads start. Small shank barrels have a smooth contour full length of the barrel including the thread portion.

CRNA

I agree with both posts. Can you post a picture and we can for sure tell you. Use the search function on here as well, I think you will be pleased with the information you receive. I just went through the same thing with a new barrel that I bought for my gun. I had some conflicting advice on large/small shank specs. There is a thread in here somewhere that actually shows pictures of the differences.

CRNA

Here&#39;s one I was talking about.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,33329.0.html

bartrak

Thanks all i have a better understanding now especially after looking at the pictures.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by hailstone
    Large shank barrels have a small step in diameter just before the threads start. Small shank barrels have a smooth contour full length of the barrel including the thread portion.
    Hailstone i am not picking on you it is just that your post was convenient. not all large shank factory barrels have a step in them. Note this takeoff from my F/TR rifle

[img width=600 height=400]http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx8/earl1958/101_3865.jpg[/img]

It is a large shank barrel.

Gary

"And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

hailstone

Your correct of course on certain barrel contours not having the step. Since the poster had a 110 in 270 indicated a sporter contour barrel I figured he would replace using a like contour saving stock barrel channel work. I&#39;m at that point in current project going from sporter contour too magnum contour barrel.

Standard 270 110 Savage wil be a small shank factory barrel. What ever barrelmaker you pick for your replacement, such as Northlander or SinArms here on the boards, advise you need a small shank barrel. Your chouces are quite varied with the .473" bolt head you have now. You can go with 30-06, 280 (Rem and AI), 260, 243, 6.5 Swede, 358 Win, 6mm Rem, 257 Roberts, 22-250, 6mm Norma Br, etc.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.