Thread: Boyds Aftermarket stock for Model 16 left handed SA with blind staggered feed

Boyds Aftermarket stock for Model 16 left handed SA with blind staggered feed

I really want to replace the stock on my Model 16 in 270wsm and I like the price point looks and adjustability of Byds Agility and At one series of stocks. They offer these stocks in left hand but only in centerfeed magazine options. I have the staggered blind magazine and thru emails from Boyds support they don't offer anything to fit left handed actions. Not sure how good their support is because one response claimed that they don't offer anything with the staggered blind magazine in short action even though it's a option in their build a stock menu. I don't understand how much different the build process is when they offer left handed versions for the centerfeed 4.40 spacing vs 4.27 for staggered? It's that hard to adjust the spacing between the two versions? I'd even understand paying for the customization. And if staggered feed blind magazine stocks are indeed a option why not make lefthand versions available also if they build stocks from scratch? I only found one other reasonable cost effective option in a Choate sniper type stock but doesn't seem to have the adjustability nor the custom look of the wooden stock from Boyds. Even Boyds lefthand stocks with the staggered blind magazine option aren't true lefthand from what I can tell from their description. Any guidance suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.

You could buy the centerfeed stock, then fit it for your action. A lot of their stocks don’t come with pillars anyway, or if they do you can drill out(or probably just push it out) the front pillar and re-bed a new pillar in the right location for the staggerfeed action. It’s basically just over sizing the existing hole it’s so close.

Banned
    I agree with pdog. What I can tell you is it’s possible to make nearly anything work correctly. It simply requires modification. How much, is of course the question at hand. I would feel very comfortable making this stock work. However, Im not going to even pretend to know what your mechanical, DIY, machining, fabrication skills are. And I couldn’t tell you if this is something a Gunsmith would take on. Not all Gunsmiths are into fabrication. The two don’t necessarily go hand in hand. Those are questions you’d need to ask before buying everything if that is the route you must take.

I found a old thread from a Google search that was on here where someone ordered a Boyds stock for a Left handed model 16 SA and didn't realize they had staggered feed and got a stock for center feed blind magazine. They said that their action fit perfectly and the action screw holes were the only issue. The only comment to the thread was to drill the necessary hole for 4.27 screw spacing and fill the other hole with a wood dowl and epoxy. I've even had some ideas about making some type of action screw spacing adapter either on the action itself or even enlarging the spacing hole enough for 4.27 spacing and making some type of small plate that would cover the stock and adding something of a spacer to add strength for the modification to 4.27 spacing. I'm not a wood worker of any sort but I have modified things for my motorcycles to work before I just like to research and get ideas or suggestions from others who may have been in the same situation and what they did or didn't do. I honestly don't understand why if the staggered feed blind magazine action fits even if a little modification is needed in the center feed left handed SA stock why not have the simple option for the 2 different screw spacing? It's .13 difference? Nevermind the headaches of trying to talk to someone over the phone and thru email their support contradicted the information on their website. I guess to me if the difference is truly that simple .13 spacing difference and maybe minor clearancing why not make or offer the option

You are correct the actions are pretty much the same other than that front action bolt location. The rear action screw is in the same location on both actions.

If the centerfield stock that you end up buying is for a bottom bolt release then you might have a little bit more work to do to adjust for the thickness of the trigger guard and relieve some wood on the right side of the stock for the top Bolt release. If you have the option for one with a top bolt release that is what you need, but it’s a 5-10 minute adjustment with a dremel to fit it otherwise.

I have a top bolt release like the stock available in Boyd's menu. I finally spoke to someone who claimed to be from tech support and asked why they offer a SA staggered blind magazine option but only in right hand when they offer left handed versions and the differences are only .13 and if I could order the stock without the front screw channel being drilled at all. I would make the spacing hole myself and she sounded confused and didn't know what to say except simply that they don't offer anything to fit my action. But if I go this route I'll make it work.

Banned
    Yup! Welcome to world of speaking with manufacturer’s “Technical Advisors”. Yeah, they are usually SOOOOOO full of wisdom!

If you have had success in other DIY, custom work, I’m sure you’ll success with this. It’s not a big deal. You’ll essentially be making the front screw hole bigger & bringing the center of the hole a bit rearward, (that .13”), then using epoxy to hold an Aluminum pillar anchored in. Easy, peezy, Japanesy!

Basic Member
    Inletting stocks is not rocket science. But, Boyd's makes stocks with CNC or pattern machines. Yes, changes could be made, IF, they actually do the setup themselves. These days it is easy to hire someone to do the setup. If that is the case then they would refuse any custom work just because they'd have to contract out the work. If they wanted more business they might go that route, but, since they do not offer custom work it is probably not considered profitable.

I've been in that boat in another business. We did offer custom work and most of what I got in return was complaining about how much it cost. Cost me more of my time talking to those folks than it did doing the work. I finally put SEVERE restrictions on custom work that removed a lot of the issues. That helped a little. Then I refused all custom work unless they were a previous good customer. Just wasn't worth my time and effort to deal with all of it.

Basic Member
    MDGFLHR - Thanks for the legwork you've done on this so far. If you could post a link to the other thread you found on the subject I would like to read that one as well.

I did not know the only difference in the center feed and staggered feed was just the action screw spacing.

If that's it, I am tempted to purchase one and try another approach - which would be to fake the front action screw. I'm not convinced it is totally necessary. Especially if you bed the action. Just cut the front action screw short, epoxy it into the hole in the stock - and it would appear to all to be completely functional and complete. Meanwhile, a fully bedded action, held in place by the rear action screw, with a free floated barrel, should be all that is needed. I think you'd get by fine without having a functioning front action screw.

I seen this done on Winchester 70's to no ill effect.

I would believe it to be pretty challenging to drill another hole / elongate the hole, and make it look like it never happened.

I also wonder how many stocks I'd have to buy from Boyds to make not drilling the front actin screw hole a reality. It appears to me there is a real market for Boyds stocks compatible with a stagger feed action.

I may buy one of their less expensive stocks and see if the front action screw can be eliminated. If it works, then spec out the more expensive stock I'd like to buy. Or for that matter, just try it on a factory stock.

So it's been some time since I originally posted this thread and first I wanna thank those who provided advice and shared knowledge. So I ordered the Boyd's At One stock and simply set it aside for over a month. I read up on everything I could about installing pillars what to use for cutting the front action screw hole tand modifying it for staggered feed spacing. I bought the high quality special forester bits in 2 sizes a new Dremel I needed to replace my old one anyway and some extra speciality bits for it. I have never modified a gunstock let alone worked with wood since shop class in high-school. Now I knew that if I could teach myself to do custom work on my Harleys I could do this too. In the end I'm pretty happy I made one or two small mistakes that after the fact I realized I should have cut the back hole for the pillar first and then compensated what I needed to remove from the front action screw area of the stock. But none of it made caused me any more work. In reality if I cut the back hole to fit the pillar I could have gotten away with simply using the dremel on the front. I overall spent money on things I didn't have to buy for success but I'm still glad I went this route. Overall I would say in difficulty it honestly was not even a 5 out of 10. I installed pillars then bedded the front llug and around the pillars only since the action was already that close. Honestly I could have probably got away with just doing the pillars and been perfectly fine but I was on a roll. Thanks again and anyone who wants to try this don't be scared it really wasn't bad overall

I finally completed my modification of my Boyd's stock for my action. I will first say I've never done that much work like this project before. I honestly hadn't done anything close to this since shop class in high school. But the best advice I set for myself was patience. I watched lots of videos and read lots of how to articles. I spent money on alot of stuff mostly little things that alone didn't cost all that much but in the end added up. But everything will be useful for something else at some point I'm sure. I didn't have a drill press but I got lucky and was given one from a family member who didn't use it. It was a cheap tractor supply or similar brand but worked flawlessly for what I needed. I in all honesty probably could have accomplished everything with my new dremel. But like I said I was glad I went this route. Only thing I would probably have done differently and honestly makes sense after the fact is instead of being so focused on the front action screw and removing material from the stock and the task of centering everything to drill the stock for installation of the front pillar it would have been easier and less stressful I kept 2nd guessing myself I should have first focused on drilling and even I think installing the rear pillar since there is no difference from the two different internal magazine feeds that is involved in this. Then I would have done the modifications needed for the front pillar and action screw spacing I was making the modifications for. But other than that I am very happy. I actually made the front pillar longer than what would be needed for a stock that needed no modification. When I ordered the stock Boyd's claimed that you need slightly longer replacement action screws for converting to wood. That was not necessary but I'm glad I included them. Because I used my old rear action screw for the front action and leaving the pillar longer which in my theory adds added strength by taking up the void that was created by removing material and I wasn't just using just the Decron to fill the void. Even though I think the epoxy would have been perfectly fine. So I picked up a handful of stainless steel washers to make the necessary adjustments for the longer screw and also have the screw sit as close to the natural depth inside the stock if none of this was ever a issue. I'm pretty happy and I also skim bedded the front lug and around the action and pillars area for a even glove type fitment overall. Overall a task I over thought would be a 7 or 8 on the scale of difficulty due to my lack of experience whatsoever really in all sense wasn't that bad and I would rate it as a 4 if that. I have self taught myself to modify and customize several projects on my Harley Davidson Motorcycles over the past 20 years so I knew that if I used patience and gathered as much information from what I could find that made sense to me and my task without using stuff I found that over complicated everything I would be successful. If you need any help or have any questions please feel free to contact me and I will try and help out anyway I can.

Banned
    All that and No pics? I feel so cheated! LOL!

I tried to add some pics I took and I couldn't get any of them to upload for some reason

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdgflhr View Post
    I tried to add some pics I took and I couldn't get any of them to upload for some reason
    Try this site. 3rd party host. https://imgbb.com/