Thread: Cannot find Twist Rate anywhere for Savage Axis heavy barrel 22-250 with Boyd's adjustable stock from Walmart Special

Cannot find Twist Rate anywhere for Savage Axis heavy barrel 22-250 with Boyd's adjustable stock from Walmart Special

Hello Everyone,

We bought a Savage Axis 22-250 with Boyd's adjustable stock from local Walmart and gun looks great but on heavy side so started trying to find twist rate to help decide on good bullet to start reloading for and can not find anywhere on gun, owners manual, receipts, on box and when asked around have been told alot of diffetent twists. I emailed Savage few days ago and so did friend helping and no reply.
    Had friend use cleaning rod and he came up with 1:8 or 1:9 twist and found some Nosler Accurate 80gr bullets and either one of those twists should work.
    So today reloaded Nosler Accurate 80gr bullets and shot and bullet keyholing thru paper.
    How can get the right twist for this rifle?
    Thanks for any help.

Basic Member
    I think all Savage 22-250s are 1 in 12. I could be wrong but that is the most likely twist. I think a 60 or 62 grain is about as heavy as you want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Snerdly View Post
    I think all Savage 22-250s are 1 in 12. I could be wrong but that is the most likely twist. I think a 60 or 62 grain is about as heavy as you want to go.
    i agree.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    +3.. Always what I’ve read & knew them to have.

Basic Member
    First, I am glad to welcome you to the nut house.
    Second, I am also happy to hear the some Walmarts are selling special Savage rifles. FYI, some of the big box stores order special option guns. Walmart Axis models were fitted with heavy barrels and special stocks (neither of which were available from Savage). Cabela's used to sell a special version of the model 12 varmint rifle that was also a super bargain.

Rifling twist from Savage is usually the norm for that cartridge. The .22-250 is usually used as a very high vel varmint rifle so a slower twist rate is used for lighter bullets at those velocities.

But, it might have a 1:9 twist since that is what Savage uses on the .223. If so it was made to shoot the 69gn match bullets.

My Axis in .223 (1:9) did very well with 77gn Sierra Matchking and 75gn Hornady ELD match bullets at near max loads (work up carefully). And, yes, the extra length of the 80gn means it is not stable. FWIW, Sierra recommends a 1:8 twist for the 77gn and a 1:7 twist for the 80gn SMK's.

Banned
    Hmm.. I don’t believe 1:9 was ever offered in 22-250 Charlie. It was the standard for 223, that is correct. But never in 22-250, that I’ve ever even heard. Remember that barrel twist & velocity share a bond. Less twist is required for the same length bullet at 3800fps than is required 2800fps. And 22-250 being a laser beam, that was Savage’s rationale on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Hmm.. I don’t believe 1:9 was ever offered in 22-250 Charlie. It was the standard for 223, that is correct. But never in 22-250, that I’ve ever even heard. Remember that barrel twist & velocity share a bond. Less twist is required for the same length bullet at 3800fps than is required 2800fps. And 22-250 being a laser beam, that was Savage’s rationale on the matter.
    This is pretty much where i sit. I use crazy anologies and this reminds me of one I use regularly, since the F250 comes with a big diesel the mustang probably has one too.

Nothing but love Charlie.:)
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    LOL I agree with both of you...but...Walmart specials could have been ordered with a different spec. Never can tell until you measure it.

Basic Member
    Savage offered the 22-250 in a 1-9 twist in the VLP and the LRPV at one time. The twist rate was marked on the barrel to set it apart from the normal 1-12".
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    I have a 1-8 22-250 and at my elevation it stabilizes the 88 eld and the 90 smk with no issue.

It is impossible to ever 100% rule out savage having done something- but if it did even have a 1-9 I would think it could have handled those 80 grain.

If you do it right then you should be able to get a repeatable result with the cleaning rod test...... It will tell you what twist you have. Just watch a video on how to do it correctly- or ask if you need help. But that's by far the easiest (and most accurate) way to find out-- because your actual twist rate does not always match what is written in the manual or stamped on the barrel.