Thread: Contender Hammer & Trigger Question

Basic Member

Contender Hammer & Trigger Question

Got a 10" 30-30 barrel in the Armor Alloy configuration. Nice pistol. When testing trigger pull without pulling the hammer back, the hammer moves forward and touches the firing pin. On all my other contenders, you can test the amount of pre-travel, over-travel, and trigger pull weight without cocking the hammer, and in the uncocked position the hammer doesn't move forward at all when the trigger is pulled. Hope I've explained this adequately, but it's got me puzzled as to what might be going on. On that particular pistol, I have also noticed that unless the barrel is fully opened and then closed, the hammer sometimes will not cock. I think there is a bit of interference with the forend that may be causing this. If you partially open the barrel, load, then close, sometimes the hammer and sear won't engage. Any thoughts on this?

Team Savage
    Not knowing everything, But my first try would be to try another barrel. I had an AA frame and several AA barrels Key word HAD

There is an internal stirrup that has to be cocked in order for the trigger to engage. It also serves as a disconnector should the barrel not be fully locked.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Thanks for the responses. It got me thinking it had to have something to do with that "internal stirrup" which I think is called the hammer block safety?? Anyway, it's that plate that slides up and down to block the hammer from falling when the gun is not cocked. Took everything apart today to figure out what was going on and after a couple of times removing the trigger group, checking springs and function of all internal parts, I finally discovered (by chance) what the problem was. I few months ago I was working on the trigger group to lighten the pull using the bic spring method that was posted back in the Specialty Pistols website days. I followed the instructions and all was good until my trigger plunger button and spring went flying into parts unknown, or so I supposed. I searched and searched for that little button over a period of two days off and on to no avail. Fortunately, SSK Firearms sells that little part for about $4. Cheap fix, but you have to wait. Got the part after a few days and put it all back together. Some time later I noticed the hammer fall problem and realized something was wrong. Thus my posted question here. Lo and behold, when I had it apart the second time I removed the sear, and the hammer block and spring came flying out - thankfully not into parts unknown. Guess what? With it came the original trigger plunger button and spring that I thought was hiding out in some dark corner of my gun room. Instead it was sitting all this time down in that dark corner of the frame preventing the hammer safety from moving fully into it's intended position. Problem solved. Seems like those senior moments keep happening a lot more frequently these days

Glad you got it figured out Norm. I’d tell you about my senior moments but I can’t remember them

Lol. Wow. Aint that something

Thanks for coming back with a solution. A lot of posters leave us hanging!

Basic Member
    Wow! Good news!