Thread: Back into Contender handguns

Back into Contender handguns

After too many years I am getting back into Contender handguns, just purchased a 10" .357 Magnum to go an a G2 frame. I am sure to add a .22lr, wonder how much deeper I will go.

Basic Member
    It’s a rabbit hole for sure. Good job finding a frame.

Welcome back! The 357 will be fun for sure.

That .357 will likely be a good shooter, mine sure is!
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Sold out twice, only to find to good of a deal to pass a while back myself.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

I have a pair of frames and a handfull of barrels. GREAT handguns.

And not a bad rifle action. The .223 carbine is definately my most used centerfire rifle.

I even had a .22 Jet barrel (.357 Mag necked down to .22). What a rabbit-hole that was to go down.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

I also have a pair of G2 that I keep as rifles, a .22lr and a .223, that I keep for a quick grab. I have reworked the triggers on both of them for a 1-1/2 pound pull. I'm still debating how light I want to make the handgun trigger.

Basic Member
    i got into handgun hunting when i was 22ish yo, it was a Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 mag. i killed several deer and then i got divorced and the Ruger was sold. 12 years ago i bought another Ruger SRH in 44 mag and then i had a stroke. 10ish years ago i buought a Encore with a 15" MGM barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor. i killed a couple of deer. 9 years i sold SRH to get a SBH with a 4 5/8" barrel in 44 mag. i killed several deer and now it is a 44 spl.

my dad (RIP) had a Contender with a 14" muzzle brake in 7x30 Waters. he killed alot of deer with it. i have it now and i bought a 30 and 357 Herrett in 10" barrels. i am reforming cases for the 30 Herrett. when i'm done, i have 130gr Speer hp and Reloader 7 to shoot it. i will hunt deer with it and i'll see if i like it. then next year i'll try the 357 Herrett. i think i'm going down the same rabbit hole!!!

I know of no Rehab facility for treatment of the TC addiction in Missouri. Many of us suffer from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjshell View Post
    I know of no Rehab facility for treatment of the TC addiction in Missouri. Many of us suffer from it.
    I have been struggling with the addiction since 1979, occasional attempts at quitting cold turkey have only resulted in relapse and quick reversion to full blown addiction. In addition, your shooting buddies (enablers) offer little support except to encourage you from a mild dependence to full blown addiction
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    I have been struggling with the addiction since 1979, occasional attempts at quitting cold turkey have only resulted in relapse and quick reversion to full blown addiction. In addition, your shooting buddies (enablers) offer little support except to encourage you from a mild dependence to full blown addiction
    Exactly!! When offered stuff that the finish was damaged but function was perfect at a heavy discount you don't pass when you can only win! He did the same with .308 Savage Strikers. Told me I needed to buy it. I said I did not. Yes you do. No I don't. He then put the gun and 3 rounds in front of me. When it clover leafed at 100yds I paid him $300-
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    Forty years ago upon seeing the possibility of 22LR through 45-70 on one frame I was a gonner. The herd grows and shrinks but never goes away - probably never will.

Welcome back!

Basic Member
    cancer of the wallet no cure

Basic Member
    I never went beyond the original Contender. Never tried the G2 or Encore, but have several lovely Contenders.

Team Savage
    As you know wabbit holes can be deep.

357 Mag in the contender/g2 is 1 of the most versatile barrels, inho. With lightweight 110 grain bullets, it's fantastic on varmints and predators (as long as your not collecting pelts). With 180's it's a great medium game gun out to around 100 yards. 158's are great for steel dispatching at distance. I cannot begin to tell you how many 357 mag barrels I've had over the years but it's been way more than a few! LOL! Not sure why I still them but eventually I buy another!

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
    357 Mag in the contender/g2 is 1 of the most versatile barrels, inho. With lightweight 110 grain bullets, it's fantastic on varmints and predators (as long as your not collecting pelts). With 180's it's a great medium game gun out to around 100 yards. 158's are great for steel dispatching at distance. I cannot begin to tell you how many 357 mag barrels I've had over the years but it's been way more than a few! LOL! Not sure why I still them but eventually I buy another!

Enjoy!
    I will have to try some 110gr bullets in the Contender. I've been shooting some 125 and 158 in a 686 but found the 125's to not group well from it. Testing is going to be an issue until I can locate some primers.

Quote Originally Posted by Teep View Post
    After too many years I am getting back into Contender handguns, just purchased a 10" .357 Magnum to go an a G2 frame. I am sure to add a .22lr, wonder how much deeper I will go.
    My last year has proven the rabbit hole is indeed deep...

Basic Member
    They are definitely addictive . I have not bought any barrels in the last two years but it was because i already had one or it was not enough different than one i have. They are mostly what i hunt with now. The prices have certainly increased up to some being unreasonable. But some will pay. Now waiting on SSK frames.

This particular hole has no bottom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!