Thread: Model 111 243 stock replacement

Model 111 243 stock replacement

I have a 111 in 243 (short action bolt throw) but it is the 5.062 action lug bolt pattern (long action). I bought a new take off Accu-fit Accu-stock in the long action action lug bolt pattern and the dbm/mag setup. The short action bolt throw would not reach the butt end of the mag to pick the shell out of the mag. I cannot find a "modern" stock that will fit this configuration. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

BTW, new guy to the forum, so take it easy on me!!

Thanks.

Basic Member
    Welcome to the forum.
    I don't post much and am no expert but I'll try to help. I suspect you have an extended baffle on your bolt (the part that is hitting the receiver when you pull it back}if that is what it is it's an easy swap.
    It's not clear whether you have changed the stock yet I assume so. I also assume you already have the accufit recoil lug. cause the regular recoil lug will not work in the accufit stock.
    Please clarify. The "experts" will come along and get you squared away shortly.

In the mean time click on my name and look at a post I did years ago with a 22-250 long action build. Numerich is a great source for stocks.
    Last edited by kwarw1; 03-12-2023 at 02:23 PM. Reason: ommision

Banned
    I’m thinking the same as kwarw1.

Looking at your bolt, which of the front baffles does yours have? If you have the first one, with the long stop, you need to replace with the short version.

Is it an older model 111? I’m assuming so since it’s a 3 digit model with a short action caliber. If so the bolt will have the front baffle pictured above with the “wing” on the one side to limit the bolt throw. That would need to be changed like mentioned above to get the bolt to come all the way back.

However, My question is if it is an older model 111, does the action have the full long action mag cutout and a spacer in the existing mag box?or does the action have the short mag opening?
    If it has the short opening it won’t help you any to change the baffle cause the mag opening isn’t large enough.

Also, you will not find a modern stock option the has the long action 5.0” bolt space and fits a standard short action detachable magazine.

Then there’s the question of if you bought the stock and dbm for a top bolt release action or a bottom bolt release action? And the accu lug that you need too?

Basic Member
    He has accufit stock in long action. according to his post. My question about the recoil lug was to make sure his action is sitting right in the stock first. The he'll have to overcome the bolt throw then the mag issue. Just my take on it.
    I did this with a 22-250 blind 30-06 mag several years ago.It worked okay but my solution was kinda rigged up and I went a more conventional route with the Axis 22-250 mag and follower,bottom removed. that got it done for me.
    I believe that if he has the regular recoil lug it will not fit correctly from the start.correct? he doesn't say what his original stock setup is,was.
    his deal is doable. I'm just trying to break it down in steps for him cause it's a little overwhelming when your new to this and new hear.Thanks for the pics Dave, a big help.

Lol I got so frustrated with it all that my last build was a new short action with the AICS bottom metal and an accustock from NSS. That took all the fun out of it!!!!
    I was done in a 1/2 hour!

Quote Originally Posted by kwarw1 View Post
    My question about the recoil lug was to make sure his action is sitting right in the stock first. The he'll have to overcome the bolt throw then the mag issue.

I believe that if he has the regular recoil lug it will not fit correctly from the start.correct? he doesn't say what his original stock setup is,was.
    his deal is doable.!
    I agree. I believe he needs to use the accu fit lug or modify and bed the stock to fit the existing lug. To be honest IMO an accustock just isn’t the best stock option to swap out to because of the lug issue.

I just wanted to confirm what action he actually has. If it’s an older staggerfeed long action with a short action caliber, it will definitely have the baffle that would need changed. But some older actions came with the standard long action mag openings and then had a spacer in the mag box for the shorter short action caliber, but some also were made with a short action mag cutout. If his has the short mag cutout he still would not be able to use the long action detachable mag at its full length, therefore switching the baffle wouldn’t help unless he was using it as a single shot. But if that’s the case he may be able to modify the new LA dbm with a spacer just like the original and leave the extended baffle on.
    So basically the next step to fit the stock all depends on what mag opening his action actually has.

Basic Member
    Correct. Waiting on the O.P.now

True. He hasn’t been back on the site in 8 days so we may never know.

Banned
    Always a little weird when this happens. A new person asks some questions but is not heard from again. I will say, he posted on the 3rd, and his thread somehow slipped through the cracks until kwar saw it on the 12th. I don’t HOW I missed it from the 3rd all that time, but it didn’t show up in Bold, the way new threads do on my screen, until Kwar responded. I hope the OP didn’t get discouraged thinking we ignored him on purpose.

Basic Member
    Not weird at all, the exact thing happened to me when I made my first post on the same topic in 2017!
    I saw he had like 179 views and not 1 response so I welcomed him in.

I have a full time job and come here for pleasure and knowledge about Savage rifles that are in my opinion the most accurate factory rifle made..

GA cop is my only friend here and a class act.

We need to be kind to one another and as the OP asked go easy, baby steps.

Banned
    Not weird at all, the exact thing happened to me when I made my first post on the same topic in 2017!

I have a full time job and come here for pleasure and knowledge about Savage rifles that are in my opinion the most accurate factory rifle made..

I wasn’t making reference to your responding being strange. Just it’s strange(meaning suspect) when a person posts then doesn’t return. Sorry for the confusion.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Just it’s strange(meaning suspect) when a person posts then doesn’t return.
    Happens all the time Dave and not just here.

Yeah it does happen a lot. Not sure how I didn’t see it either. May have just come here to ask the question and Hopefully he figured it out and that’s why he hasn’t been back. Either way it’s a good subject to discuss and maybe a future newbie will find this while doing a search on the site.

Basic Member
    My point is/was:
    New guy has question,joins and post,no one responds,he sees all of the views,his feelings are hurt and feels unwelcome and we are jerks!

Another thing I see and recall (when I was new) is someone responds with tbr,bbr,bm and a bunch of acronyms that the new guy doesn't know yet.Changing a recoil lug is no big deal for most of us Savage junkies. But a young guy that lives in an apartment with little mechanical shills it is a daunting task! Or reloading for instance.

This guy has like 4 different things going on on at once cause of a simple stock swap caused by the short action caliber built on a long action receiver.

Now this is just MY opinion and this isn't directed at anyone. This is how it should go.

Hey I don't have the answer, Welcome.I see you have a 111 I had one back in 1981 nice guns, tell us about the original stock and why you like the accufit. Someone will be along shortly. Good luck.

Hopefully he will come back soon and we can proceed.

'
    Last edited by kwarw1; 03-15-2023 at 07:08 PM. Reason: ommision

AMEN
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage

I run own and run a forum in addition to actively participating in at least 6 others forums daily. There are, for whatever reason, people who sign up, post an intro, comment, or question and never return.

My point is it's not necessarily that a member wasn't welcomed or didn't get an answer/reply right away, some are simply "one post wonders". I have hundreds of accounts on my forum that have never bothered to log in after their registration was approved, why request an account? Not to mention those who do post once or twice then never again.

Scroll through the "Introduce Yourself" sub-forum here and look at how many never post after their intro.