Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Seating Primers

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
    The K&M, Sinclair and 21st Century are all single primer loaders, but there are very few complaints about their operation.
    That's because they work and quite well for a single load priming tool. I've had a Sinclair since the 90s, it will never wear out.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    That's because they work and quite well for a single load priming tool. I've had a Sinclair since the 90s, it will never wear out.
    I'd pay double the price of a Sinclair hand primer if they made one that would load primers from a magazine. You'd think one of the boutique companies would come out with one.

Basic Member
    The problem is from an engineering point of view. Primers are just not easy to keep lined up. I've played with various schemes over the years and nothing has been even close to 100%. Too close tolerances and the primers hang up. Too loose and they flip. The difference between the two is very small, especially with small primers. This was an area where I thought I might put a 3D printer to work to try out different techniques. Hand held with a magazine will always be tough just because of all the movement and changing angles being used.

Even using a positive control system (no gravity feed) it was tough to keep them all aligned correctly. The most success I had came at a cost. Took a special shell holder that had to be very precise. Made getting the cases in and out a PITA. I even looked at commercial mfgs and how they do it. Not a small setup. :)

Team Savage

Closest I think you could come to a precision hand primer with auto primer feed would be the Holland bench primer which is nothing more than a modified RCBS unit. I use an unmodified RCBS bench prime about 95% of the time, when picky, I get in the "zone" with my Sinclair.

The 21st century primer seater and uniformer are as good as it gets for accuracy, loading singles only takes a moment. I have an old brass ash trash shaped just right to flip them over.

Some people mentioned they moved production to China in 2017. I've been reading those entire threads and you may be on to something about the shell holder. It seems that people who use Lyman shell holders don't have the issues that others have. I'm going to take a chance, I've ordered a Lyman Nr. 2 shell holder and another EZ prime to see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't work, I'll return them and all I've lost is a little time.
    I received the replacement Lyman EZ Prime and Nr. 2 Shell holder and together they work great. The ram raises much higher than the floor of the shell holder. You'd think Lyman would know this and tell people to just order a Lyman shell holder instead of sending them replacement EZ Primers.

The last EZ Prime with Redding Shell Holder. The Lee shell holder fit the same way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2520-L.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	9469

The replacement EZ Prime with Lyman shell holder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2552-M.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	9468

Banned
    Yep.. thought so. Well I’m glad that worked out for you as well. When you get to use it again, I’d like to hear your thoughts of it.

I primed the 8 cases I used when I qualified for the 1700 yard range and I have to say you have a much better feel with hand priming. I do think that uniforming the primer pockets is essential to reap the full benefit. If you aren't going to do that, then you might as well use the press and cram the primer into the bottom of the pocket every time. I like the fact that changing primer size is as simple as changing the magazine, there aren't a lot of fiddly parts to worry about.

Banned
    I primed the 8 cases I used when I qualified for the 1700 yard range and I have to say you have a much better feel with hand priming. I do think that uniforming the primer pockets is essential to reap the full benefit. If you aren't going to do that, then you might as well use the press and cram the primer into the bottom of the pocket every time. I like the fact that changing primer size is as simple as changing the magazine, there aren't a lot of fiddly parts to worry about.
    I agree Ern. I’ve always been of using Lake City, NATO brass. Just for plinking ammo. The primers are crimped & when deprimed, it leaves a nasty edge. In my younger years I would clean & cut the crimp out by hand. Then I got a primer pocket swaging die & the Lyman hand primer. Priming has been a joy, almost relaxing exercise ever since.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456