Thread: B17 and B22 Bolt fix question

B17 and B22 Bolt fix question

Has anyone actually had this problem? When I do a search I don't find any except for the videos. I asked on the RFC site and only got one reply(Fasteddie01, who is on this site too). I'm picking up a B22 LR Left Hand this weekend. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXzNvMnVswk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NryvAAiKKDw

Basic Member
    Hi Irish Lad, I just wanted to post a link to the RFC thread, in case some folks here don't 'go there'. I hope you have good luck with your B22. Be sure to research mods to get the action smoothed and trigger lighter.
    http s://www.rimfirecentral.com/threads/b17-and-b22-bolt-mod-question.1270857/#post-12972055

After almost 350 views between this site and RFC and only one person has said they did the fix, I'm gonna conclude it's a very uncommon problem. Thanks

Basic Member
    I think most either don't have a B22 or have already done the fix. OR just apathy . . . I see many posts that go unanswered for a long time. I only do it to Share the info I've gained here and elsewhere . . . plus I'm retired.
    If you ignore it, in a few years you'll look back and say WTF did I ignore this?

My neighbor smoothed the edges on my B17 and B22 bolts today. Real easy, took less than 30 minutes to do both.

Basic Member
    On my bolt the radius for the cocking piece was ok. The rest of the bolt however was pretty crude machine work inside and out. I'd like to find a FP spring with about one pound less pressure.

Eddie has been a tremendous resource.

Basic Member
    Hey
    Fox, Thanks for the props. I'm glad your rifle bolt was OK. I'm guessing there are lotsa folks that don't expect to keep their rifle long enough for it to wear. The main issue is if it does wear much, the headspace will end up opening and we know where that leads - Bolt shims - HA! The bolt handle and bits should last quite a while even if it wears, so most folk won't bother. I just don't 'buy & sell' like some do. I've still got my socket wrench set I bought back in '62 . . . and my dad's that he bought in the 40s.
    EDIT - SEE NEXT POST - NO RELIEF IN SIGHT

Basic Member
    Hey Look Here - I was wrong again . . . http s://www.triggershims.com/savage.php#SavBoltShim ... they say that the design of the Savage MKII (and I presume the B22) does not allow a bolt shim to work. They tried some and the 'tester' said it failed within 150 or so cycles. So, there is no 'repair' available unless you weld back the worn areas.
    I suppose if the 'gap' was large enough - like 0.01-0.02" - some material could withstand the flexing on the bolt??

After its first 500 rounds the bolt in my B22FV SS was perfect. But smoothed it out today anyways precautionary.