Thread: New member Savage FP-10 few questions.

New member Savage FP-10 few questions.

Hi all.

My name is Simon, Simong here from NY (Long Island)

I have an older .308 FP-10 with Choate stock (Varmint?) early 2000 model.

Can a Compensator be added/installed on the original factory barrel? if yes any recommendation for a reliable quality gunsmith?

Can a detachable mag be installed/added to this rifle?

Looking to add the Arken EP 5-25x56 with Arken 34MM rings & EGW base mount.

T.I.A

Simong.

Banned
    Welcome Simon.

Yes, you can have the barrel threaded & add whatever muzzle attachment you wish. Most use thread sizes 1/2”-28 or 5/8”-24, the later being the most popular & what you’d likely use for 308. Everyone here is going to tell you to consult with members “sharpshooter” here. (His name is Fred & he’s the unofficial resident gunsmith.) Here is his website. http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

However, it’s a very routine job. Any gunsmith can do it. You may want to search your area for one so you don’t have to ship your rifle back & forth.

Basic Member
    The magazine is another issue. From your question I will assume yours has a blind (internal) magazine. Yes, one could be changed, but, it would take someone with a bit of ability to change the stock.

Might be less expensive to buy a new stock that is compatible with the AICS pattern magazines.

Basic Member
    I put two Oryx aluminum chassis set ups on two different hidden mag Savages.
    They are heavy but very solid and both rifle barrels/receivers were drop-in changes.
    If I were hunting with them, especially if stalking, I probably wouldn't choose them because of the weight, but from bench they improved the accuracy of both rifles.
    Just make sure the AICS mags you buy have enough internal length to accommodate your reloads, if you like short jumps.
    I would buy another Oryx chassis tomorrow if I had another hidden mag.

Thank you guys.

Please keep it coming, I'm here to learn.

Simong.

Welcome to the forum Simon, from Western NY !

Banned
    I agree with my compadres Charlie & CFJunkie. I believe yours is a Blind Mag with no opening. You’d need a new stock & the Bottom Metal. And it’s likely the stock will require some fabrication/modification. The other option is a Chassis that accepts AICS mags. Just remove your barreled Action from the factory stock, drop it in the Chassis & away you go! Years ago there were fewer options, and the least expensive Chassis were still above $500. Then the Oryx (made by MDT) was released with a starting price under $400. And it set the stage. I’ll agree with CF, and I’ll have to say dollar for dollar, the Oryx is hard to beat. That said, it’s not my favorite & not what I use. There are so many options now; many in the same or lower price range to the Oryx now. And still many others with very high price tags… $1000, $1200, $1400+! If interested I suggest doing research on several with your budget in mind. Then choose based on your budget & styling which is aesthetically pleasing to your eye.

Basic Member
    What are you going to use the rifle for? From the scope it seems like mostly target use. Competition? Benchrest/F? F/TR? PRS? NRL? That will drive what kind of stock you use.

Use of AICS mags limits the stock options. These days I'd be tempted by this one:
    https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/bravo-savage/

Benchrest probably occasionally prone position up to 300 yards, I don't think I have any longer distance ranges in my area, unless I drive minimum of 3-1/2 hours

This KRG stock looks nice.

Question the KRG stock being a 2 pcs stock does it make it less durable than the MDT Oryx?

Simong.

Banned
    It’s not a 2-piece in that the outer part is a polymer skin with a solid Aluminum backbone running the length.

It’s as stiff as any of the Chassis or Aluminum bedding block style stocks. If you like it more than the Oryx, get it. If you prefer the Oryx, get that. Even still, if you prefer the XLR, get it. You can’t go wrong with with any of these. They are in the same price range & will function alike.

Basic Member
    I'd not worry about the magazine for those applications. Just get a stock that works well for you in those positions.

Hello all. during memorial day sales I was able to get the MDT XRS chassis.

Can anyone please help me with instructions of a safe way of removing the staggered mag metal housing from the Savage action.

I thank you guys in advance

Simong.

Basic Member
    On all three of my Savage hidden mags, the mag stays in the stock when I removed the action from the stock. On mine, there was a clip that held it in place.
    It is possible that the clip didn't hold if your hidden mag came out with the action. It shouldn't have anything that is holding it to the action, since it really is just the upper portion of a Savage mag without the bottom plate.

Once you remove it from the action, the action should just drop into the XRS chassis.

Banned
    It’s a staggered feed cf..

Simong: the mag box uses tabs to secure to a the Action. You need to pry the tabs away from the Action opening to remove it. No real science to it. And different people remove it differently. Some pry with a screwdriver. Others may use a mallet to separate the two. I recommend lm
    looking at it closely to familiarize yourself. Locate the holding tabs and how they are holding.

The holding tabs on the staggered mag box are on the front and rear.
    Easiest way to do it is to get a wide flathead screwdriver and tap it with a hammer or mallet, putting the flathead right where the tabs will be. Try laying the screwdriver as flat along the bottom of the action as possible, and not having a sharp angle. When it’s tapped hard enough it should break free and pop out of the slot in the action. Once one end pops out the other end should just need a slight tap or May even slide right out.

Thank you all.
    Done, it only took one good placed whack.

Simong.