Thread: SSK Barrel Configurator - Anybody Tried It?

Basic Member

SSK Barrel Configurator - Anybody Tried It?

Okay - so now I'm thinking about that 30-30 Contender barrel and how to get one. Only custom barrels I've ever ordered were from Match Grade Machine back when the prices were much lower and pleased with every single one. My 13" 357 Mag barrel for the Encore only cost $250 probably 10 or so years ago! So now looking at all the custom makers, the prices are considerably higher and I'm looking to get a carbine barrel no less. Stumbled onto SSK's barrel configurator and lo and behold, if you can believe that thing, if you order one of their plain Jane barrels in the "hunter" configuration you can come in at just under $300 with free shipping, no threads or caps, no scope base but everything else good to go bead blasted finish only. Suits me, but the price seems too good to be true. They used to have a customer service number and you could talk to a live person, but apparently no more. Now you have to email support with all your questions. Call me old school, but I don't trust much of anything online (okay - here I am, online, I know) unless I can talk to a real person. So I'm asking all you real people out there if you have ever used their tool and if you can trust it to be accurate as to price and quoted features. I talked to Marty at Haus of Arms. He said the hunter barrels are Green Mountain and the Premium barrels are Douglas. His prices on SSK products are good in my estimation, but I don't want all the threads and caps that seem to come standard on most of the SSK offerings these days. While I'm at it, what twist rate and barrel length do you all recommend. Right now I have lots of bullets in the 130 grain category. I tend not to hot rod my loads and deer at 100 yards would be the only use the barrel would get other than punching paper. Always enjoy and appreciate all the comments and responses. Thanks!

Basic Member
    i've used their barrel configurator 3 times, 1 of the barrel arrived already, second one will hopefully be here by the end of the week, they already shipped that one.

No issues. When i emailed, they responded quickly.

as for 30/30 barrels, i have a stainless 20" MGM twisted 1-12", and a 21" TC factory twisted 1-10", and both shoot great with bullets weights from 110gr, through 150gr...i never shot anything heavier than 150's.

In my MGM 1-12" barrel, have 2 main loads for that one, using the Speer 130HP, and the Barnes 120gr Tac-TX...i've had great accuracy, and great results on deer sized stuff.

I’ve used it once and received exactly the configuration that I ordered. Plan to order another soon.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the replies. I put in an email to customer service and got a response the next morning with a phone number to speak with Terri on Tuesdays and Fridays. She actually called me and had a great conversation. Got some good information on the the barrel and accessory offerings and some updates on the SSK-50 project. Speaking with her gave me confidence to go ahead with an order. Now if I can just settle on a the caliber. So many options - once you think you've got your mind made up, something else comes along to spark your imagination in a new direction

Basic Member
    Back in December I tried the configurator and it prompted a couple of questions so I emailed customer service (didn't see any way to talk to anyone). I did not get a satisfactory response so I didn't order. This thread had me taking another look so when I went there I found you now have to open an account with SSK to get pricing on a barrel - really?

Basic Member
    Yep - you have to enter your information and login with your email and password to use the configurator.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    Back in December I tried the configurator and it prompted a couple of questions so I emailed customer service (didn't see any way to talk to anyone). I did not get a satisfactory response so I didn't order. This thread had me taking another look so when I went there I found you now have to open an account with SSK to get pricing on a barrel - really?
    It’s really not a bad thing as you can save your finished item in your cart to come back to later if you wish. With the many configuration options available, there is not a single, standard pricing.

Basic Member
    I need to post that yesterday I opened an account and ran a couple of configurations using the tool. I then emailed customer service asking to speak to someone. I got a call back later the same day. The representative was knowledgeable and right off answered a couple of my questions. On the last and final question she did not have an immediate answer but instead of putting me off or guessing she offered to research and call back. A little while later I received a call with a very satisfactory response that was worked out through an interchange with one of the gunsmiths. Barrel ordered!

I had posted a less positive version of this a couple of months back but they have now redeemed themselves in my eye.

Basic Member
    Glad to hear. Maybe SSK will fill the void left by Smith and Wesson when they finally killed off Thompson Center...

Quote Originally Posted by Normrep55 View Post
    Maybe SSK will fill the void left by Smith and Wesson when they finally killed off Thompson Center...
    That would be fantastic !!!

It's always nice to hear about good customer service.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

I have been looking at ordering a "configured" barrel. What do they mean by scope base prep? Do the barrels not come drilled and tapped for standard bases?

Basic Member
    scope base prep means drilled & tapped...they dont automatically do that, i suppose in case someone wanted an iron sight only barrel.

i've got 6 barrels from them so far, and all were drilled/tapped in the 6 hole scope base pattern, if you use a standard 4 hole base that gives you some leeway to move it forwards or backwards to position for eye relief.

Quote Originally Posted by FyrepowrX View Post
    scope base prep means drilled & tapped...they dont automatically do that, i suppose in case someone wanted an iron sight only barrel.

i've got 6 barrels from them so far, and all were drilled/tapped in the 6 hole scope base pattern, if you use a standard 4 hole base that gives you some leeway to move it forwards or backwards to position for eye relief.
    Thanks for that, exactly what I wanted to know, now to decide what I want! Sooo many choices and I already have the bases covered.

Basic Member
    that barrel configurator is like a playground, toy store, and candy shop all rolled into one....i keep poking around in there & looking for excuses to build something, just because there are a lot of cool options on there.