Thread: Encore 257 JDJ

Basic Member

Encore 257 JDJ

Saw some talk about the 257 JDJ so thought I’ld post my experience with it or should i say my sons experience! Thinks it was 2012 my daughter said Dad can i go deer hunting with you? Music to my ears!!!! I had a 14 inch Contender barrel so I thought why not a carbine barrel in 257 JDJ. Found a used 17 in Encore barrel and purchased it. Bobby shared his load and it been a hemmer. Daughter and i hinted one day and late afternoon a doe hop fence onto our property. I said shoot it! She said its too small! I said easier to drag! I said shoot! She said too small! I said it will be tasty!!! I dont think she could pull the trigger but we had a great day being together.

When Brandon started hunting he claimed the 257JDJ and shot 7 deer in 5 years on our WV property!!! We added up the deer he’s shot with it and came up with 15.
    I thought it was really cool last year Brandon took his college roommate deer hunting and Cory shot his first deer with the 257.

257 scored two deer last year. Brandon shot this buck on the second day of WV’s deer season

First deer Brandon shot age 12 and he shot another deer same year that was a 150 yd shot!

Awesome cartridge and highly recommend it!!!

Very cool. I'm always a sucker for a 25 cal. What bullet are you shooting, and what do you estimate it's velocity is?
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

I’ve always liked that setup of your .257 JDJ and will be mocking it in appearance soon. I’ve got everything, except a barrel, to rig out a relatively short range, box stand deer gun for my sister. I’ll be going with a 6.5 Grendel on hers. Just haven’t gotten around to ordering the barrel yet.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim View Post
    Very cool. I'm always a sucker for a 25 cal. What bullet are you shooting, and what do you estimate it's velocity is?

My go to bullet is the Nosler 100 gr Ballistic Tip
    Reloader 15
    Fed 210
    Velocity is 2650 fps from 17 inch barrel

Encore barrel will take 1.0 gr more power than my 14 in Contender barrel

Basic Member
    always liked the idea of a .257JDJ in carbine...is that maybe a 4-12x up top?

great looking combo.

Basic Member
    Yes Leopold 4x12