Thread: Hi all Papa is looking to build a 7x57 for 15 year-old Granddaughter.

Basic Member

Hi all Papa is looking to build a 7x57 for 15 year-old Granddaughter.

I don't post much but I "look" everyday.
    My son his wife and I shoot MANY different chamberings.
    The Granddaughter has been shooting with us since she was 5 years old.
    She has a 10/22, a savage 17 hmr a Phoenix arms 22 auto, and a Howa 20" mini in 6.5 Grendel. She is 5'2" and MAYBE 100 pounds. In her 10 years of hunting/shooting she has harvested MANY big mule, and whitetail deer. A lot of coyotes many 100s of prairie dogs and WAY plenty of gophers and rabbits.
    That's the back story. She reads and researches her arsenal options. She likes to shoot and hunt but is not a fan of recoil. She has shot my 45 colt, 10mm, 3006, but does not enjoy doing it, she will not shoot the D-I-Ls 257 WB or 338/378 on my 8mmRM. She kind of likes my 6mm rem but it is very heave, and her moms 245ai is ok but up on the recoil thing.
    SOOO!
    What we are thinking is, a savage ( some kind) and chambering it in 7x57. We can start with something Like a 140 gr and as she works in to it, maybe move up to a 175 gr for thing like bear and such.
    Here is the question What would be a good choice in the savage line as a "doner"?
    The shell is the same length as a 6mm rem or 8x57 Mauser and with a 175 it is a bit longer. Weight is a factor.
    Any insight what I need to be looking at?

One of the old 110 short actions would be perfect, bigger then current short actions, but harder to find. Otherwise a long action if your looking at long bullets in the future. If you reload, go Ackley and drop the charges to what she likes. But have a few hot loads if needed. As to exact model for a donor, don't worry. actions are basically all the same, buy the stock you want. Youth if she will stay short arms and be wearing a coat? Long second stock are common sales item.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    OK then That's what I'll be looking for. Probably a new one?
    I'll check out our Walmart to see what they have, normally they have some kind of savage for $400.
    Where would I find a barrel?

Basic Member
    I found a savage axis two in 3006. Would that work as a doner?
    Where would I find a replacement barrel? would I have to ream the new barrel to the 7x57 or could it come that way?
    $346.50 free freight.
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/415011583/savage+axis+ii+.30-06+mossy+oak+bottomland

https://www.shawcustombarrels.com/sh...age-varmint/17
    https://mcgowenbarrel.com/savage-pre-fit-barrels/
    are a couple economy sites.
    Google savage barrel and you will get a list. You will also need a tool kit to do it. If you are sure you will never want to change it again, get a quoit from a local smith.
    You did mention prairie dogs.
    .22-250 or .243 barrels, new take off could be an option.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    Well dang, about face!
    I did not know Ruger Americans can change barrels the same way as Savage.
    I have a brand new Ruger American in 30/06 that I inherited this year.
    I have zero use for a '06 in fact I worked up a Varmint load with 110 bullets just so I might use it at all. Same bolt face same rotary magazine, just need a wrench, nut and barrel. It even has a Redfield 3X9 scope. I found a new Shaw Barrel chambered in 7x57 AI, 1x8 twist threaded muzzle blued,22 inch varmint taper, and shipped for less the the Savage.

PS do you think I need the "Deep" throat to take the Longer bullets?

Banned
    LOL! “Long” throat sounds better. That is for the really long, super high BC 7mm pils, like the 190 Bergers, or Hornady A-Tips. Not likely if she doesn’t like recoil.

Basic Member

Long sounds better then deep yup.
    Is there an issue to have a long throat, and not use it? who knows how she or me will use it in 10 years. Weatherby has a LONG THROAT on most there rifles. We have several and don't shoot long bullets most you can't reach the lands with normal hunting bullets.

Team Savage

I remember when you were setting her up with the Grendel, good to hear she's moving up! Need to stop in and say "hi" once in awhile you know where. :)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 8mm RUM View Post

Long sounds better then deep yup.
    Is there an issue to have a long throat, and not use it? who knows how she or me will use it in 10 years. Weatherby has a LONG THROAT on most there rifles. We have several and don't shoot long bullets most you can't reach the lands with normal hunting bullets.

Can’t run very short & very long bullets and still expect the best accuracy. Sure it will work. But if the barrel is throated for the heaviest/longest bullets, the lighter/shorter bullets will have a massive jump. Which is not always good. But they will still shoot fine.

By the way: Linda Lovelace would agree with the previous

Which ever rifle you decide to go with I would go with a bit more mainstream round.
    Something like a 7mm-08 or a 243 Winchester or 6mm Creedmoor?
    In the future she may need to purchase ammo off the shelf.
    7x57 is not one you would likely find in WalMart.

Basic Member
    Most our rifles are odd balls, we load and keep 300/500 rounds for each.
    Try to find 247 Weatherby, or 300 Norma mag. Even a mainstream gun can be hard to buy factory ammo 338.378, even my beloved 8mm rem mag.

7x57 is a great round. PPU usually keeps a good stock and can be ordered. As for needing
    the longer throat ?? The 7x57 has a decent length on the neck. Generally a SAMMI reamer
    will let a 175 grain bullet be about .020" off the lands. But this can be misleading since
    bullet profiles are all over the map.

Now if it were me, and being very popular again, I'd build her a 284 Winchester. If she
    grows up with it, there's just more options. But again, Nothing wrong with the 7x57 !!
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    Nothing wrong with the 7x57 !!
    Nope, sure isn't, then again, I've been a 7mm fan for a long time.

Basic Member
    I would limit myself to bullets 140gr and under. With that ai, and a new rifle, 2850 or so ought to be possible, but not much more.

Almost as an aside, the 6.5x55 would give you a unique round, lapua brass option and a bit more speed at modern pressures. I have a nice 140gr load at 2900 from a 22” barrel.

Basic Member
    Cool.
    I have the AI dies coming, 8 weeks out.
    I have the barrel nut and wrench ordered too.
    I found a place I can rent the Go No go gauges, round trip $31
    I'll order the Shaw barrel this week or so 12 week turn a round on that too.
    I had to work on the Ruger rotary magazine to get the shorter 7x57 cartridges to feed, but they work fine now.
    Slowwly coming together.
    When I get it together I'll put up some pics.

Some cringe and think it is the most dangerous thing in the world.
    And some of us size cases in our Dies and set the headspace to the case our die sized. couple pieces of scotch tape on the head for a No Go.
    Check your case protrusion on barrel before you assemble. If there is any problem later, you have eliminated that problem and do not have to disassemble wondering about it.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger View Post
    Some cringe and think it is the most dangerous thing in the world.
    And some of us size cases in our Dies and set the headspace to the case our die sized. couple pieces of scotch tape on the head for a No Go.
    Check your case protrusion on barrel before you assemble. If there is any problem later, you have eliminated that problem and do not have to disassemble wondering about it.
    Works for me.