Thread: Savage 219C in .22 Hornet HELP!

Question Savage 219C in .22 Hornet HELP!

I've got a few 220's in my collection, everything except a 28, and also an early one-pin 219 in 30-30. I've replaced parts in those, working on an Eastern Arms 12 gauge barrel now with a broken ejector spring lever.

I have a problem child here, a 219C in .22 Hornet 2 pin receiver, that I can't get to function in no way, shape, or form. Oval SP stamped, giant H stamp on the receiver tang, barrel stamped underside in W V, a flame and an anvil which I assume is a proof mark. Barrel date code is a 1K... It is cut/grooved for a scope.

I have asked around, and looked around, and have not been able to find information on the 2 Pin receivers. I've looked through some old Numrich catalogs, browsed the net, you name it. My go-to guy is stumped. This gun was in my dad's safe and I want to restore it and keep it in the family. At this point, it's disassembled and I can't find a schematic to even know if I have all of the parts. Was this a "transition" model? It looks different inside than a 219...

Any links or advice would be duly appreciated.

I did read the linked posts, BTW. Sounds depressing! Did find this link this evening, though Ive looked around a bunch.

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Sava...l_219-220.html
    Last edited by TheOverUnderKid; 02-19-2023 at 07:06 PM. Reason: link

Thumbs Up Success at last!

So..................between Feb. 2023 and t-o-d-a-y I have been digging deep and am happy to say that today I finally achieved primer detonation in the 219C - .22 hornet! I learned much along the way, from a few die-hards and one very patient old armorer who helped me diagnose it, rediagnose it, and refine it.

In the meantime, as I puzzled over the guts of this gun, I redid a model 24 for a friend + firing pin, and a rolling block #4 in .22 that needed a T/D lever and some dental pick work. I can't understand why a simple Savage model is so hard to find accurate information for. Even on a deep dive I learned that the 219C uses *some* parts interchangeably, Savage factory/company records issues, and just all-around Houdini-esque schematics.

So, after tracking down available parts and looking into that receiver I figured out that it was missing a Hammer Spacer #220B-614, Locking Bolt Spring #220B 139, Locking Bolt Stop Pin #220B 624, and had a broken tab on the Firing Pin Retainer Screw, which I believe is #219B 79. I could be wrong on that last part number, and I could be wrong on the Firing Pin Sring Yoke, which I am currently running without. The simple solution was to install the correct parts correctly (a dozen assemblies, at least) and helping the firing pin by some judicious filing on the rear of the notch to extend the protrusion - 3 light test filings.

Didja ever notice that sometimes Savage mainspring rods are bent in dang near every picture you see? Didja ever notice that the springs themselves take gorilla-like springs to compress?

Listen, I'm just rambling, but I bet the old man in heaven got a chuckle this morning when it finally went bang. I'm considering doing a complete schematic for the 219C. If anyone has a 219C, with it's hammerless and neatly-designed self-cocking lever in ANY of the rifle calibers let's talk. I'd gladly buy you a gift card for dinner at your favorite place for pictures of the inside...

Lessons learned - my ammunition was crap. Nearly every case loaded with .224 spitzers was split. I experienced very minor case head separation with a Super-X case - first primer strike after filing. I've never seen SA Corp brass - ever, but it did go bang.

Any good loads out there for the Hornet? I've got a hundred PPU brass on the way, and new dies. 11 grains of IMR 4227 seems very hot for this gun.

Basic Member
    Sometimes it takes a lot of persistence, patience, a lot of trial and error and mostly luck!! But you have to stick to a challenge like that and sometimes you will amaze yourself!!

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    Sometimes it takes a lot of persistence, patience, a lot of trial and error and mostly luck!! But you have to stick to a challenge like that and sometimes you will amaze yourself!!

You got that right, nearly whipped me. Felt good to hear it go off...