Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTF Alliant?

Basic Member

Ernest T, what kind of front rest, and rear rest, are You using ?

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    FWIW, I also print my own targets. I use card stock paper from the office supply store. A little more expensive but it holds up in the wind better. I also like to use a colored background, yellow or bright orange or light green. Bullet holes show up better.
    I'll give the colored paper a try. For these I just used the paper in the printer which was between bond paper and card stock.

Quote Originally Posted by GrenGuy View Post
    Ernest T, what kind of front rest, and rear rest, are You using ?
    I'm using the Caldwell Tack Driver bag in the front and a bunch of different ones for the rear. I carry two Midway tactical shooting bag, a large and small, a small flat bag and one of those bags with the ears that cradle the stock. I seem to put fill in and take it out of the rear bags almost weekly!

Basic Member
    Nice groupings Ernest T. After I posted post #23 above several threads showed up at the bottom of the page including one I posted back in Oct 2019, the approx time I bought and returned the pound of R16, didn't think it was that long ago. Reread the posting I had posted when talking with Alliant powder tech, he had advised me that the R16 was better suited for .308, 30/06, .243, and other cartridges such as your 6.5. He advised that both the 250 and 300 Savage rounds that I inquired about (I also reload 300 Sav) didn't have adequate powder space to utilize enough R16 for adequate velocity due to the fact that they had shorter necks and the bullets sit down further into the case, both things decreasing powder space.

He also advised they hadn't done much in developing loads for either caliber due to the decrease in popularity among shooters and advised just starting low and working up an accurate load. Several did post of adequate results with R16 in the Savage calibers though that they worked up. I'm good with the powders I use currently. Couldn't say if Alliant or any bullet sellers have worked up and posted tried and true loads for the Savages. Curious---is your forum handle derived from good Ol Ernest T. Bass from the Andy and Barney Mayberry show. Love that old show. Have the first 6 season on dvd and watch when I really need to watch a quality tv show.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage 94C View Post
    Nice groupings Ernest T. After I posted post #23 above several threads showed up at the bottom of the page including one I posted back in Oct 2019, the approx time I bought and returned the pound of R16, didn't think it was that long ago. Reread the posting I had posted when talking with Alliant powder tech, he had advised me that the R16 was better suited for .308, 30/06, .243, and other cartridges such as your 6.5. He advised that both the 250 and 300 Savage rounds that I inquired about (I also reload 300 Sav) didn't have adequate powder space to utilize enough R16 for adequate velocity due to the fact that they had shorter necks and the bullets sit down further into the case, both things decreasing powder space.

He also advised they hadn't done much in developing loads for either caliber due to the decrease in popularity among shooters and advised just starting low and working up an accurate load. Several did post of adequate results with R16 in the Savage calibers though that they worked up. I'm good with the powders I use currently. Couldn't say if Alliant or any bullet sellers have worked up and posted tried and true loads for the Savages. Curious---is your forum handle derived from good Ol Ernest T. Bass from the Andy and Barney Mayberry show. Love that old show. Have the first 6 season on dvd and watch when I really need to watch a quality tv show.
    Yeah, Ernest T. Bass is the genesis of my screen name. He's one of my favorite TV characters.

Picking a powder is somewhat a black art when you don't have access to test equipment to measure chamber pressures. I'm not sure what criteria the different companies use to choose which powders and bullets they develop loads for, but some of their selections defy logic. This one befuddles me, Hornady has loads for the same powder using 120 and 140 grain bullets, but not 130 grain. Logic tells me if it'll work for 120 and 140 grain, it ought to work for the one in the middle too.

Basic Member
    I stopped trying to figure out why the mfgs use the powders, or the bullets, they do in load data. Could be as simple as, that's what they had available when they were doing the testing. They stopped cause they ran out.

Ford engineers 'discovered' the qualities of synthetic oil by mistake. They were doing a test of an engine on a Friday and needed to change the oil to continue. They had run out. The lead engineer remembered the Mobil rep had dropped off a sample batch of Mobil 1 so they loaded it up. After the "100,000" mile point they tore the engine down and were astounded to find the wear was half what they usually got. Invalidated the test but they took the synthetic stuff seriously after that.

So, sometimes things happen, just because.

Team Savage

RE16 shot quite well in my 6.5 and 22 Creeds. Availability, and playing with cast, are only reasons I haven't done more with it.

I repurposed a 1 lb. H4350 container for RL-16, it keeps me from having to wield that huge jug. The label should have been black, but I didn't want to use that much ink.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1497-L.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	9268

Basic Member
    That's a bit more organized than me. I remove the label and use a silver sharpie to mark the black plastic jug.

I do use a black sharpie to mark the date I buy the powder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12