Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 110 Elite Precision in 223

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by JustSgtPat View Post
    Well I was a SAW gunner so not much transfers to this! I do realize that I probably know just enough to drive myself crazy. But I have always enjoyed afternoons at the range, in and out of uniform. And from what I have seen in the forums the brotherhood is similar also. I look forward to my chance to speed a few days just learning and watching at a match.
    LOL

It is rewarding when you find a group of folks to shoot with. Good luck in your quest.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSgtPat View Post
    Well I was a SAW gunner so not much transfers to this! I do realize that I probably know just enough to drive myself crazy. But I have always enjoyed afternoons at the range, in and out of uniform. And from what I have seen in the forums the brotherhood is similar also. I look forward to my chance to speed a few days just learning and watching at a match.
    Replied in the wrong place.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmafiddleman View Post
    In my club we have a lady who shoots .223 for Palma matches and often wins. She is an elite shooter who will travel with our US team this year. So people can have success with the .223 at 1000 yds. As the others have noted, you will have better odds of success at 600 than 1000 yds at least initially. The points made about twist and bullet choice are very true. In addition, if you have never shot at 1000 before you will have to learn to read the wind, a bigger factor than if you were competing at 600 yds. Yes with the right barrel and bullets you can do well at 1000 yds.
    While as we’ve discussed, a person can certainly use 223 at 1000yds, but in our world now of the 6mm’s, the 223 won’t even be remotely competitive. Obviously, doesn’t apply in the 223/308 only division.

Basic Member
    Yep. IIRC, F-TR is .223 or .308, scope and bipod w/rear bag, prone. US Palma is .223 or .308, open sights, unsupported prone. International Palma is .308 and 155gn bullets. There was some talk of Palma rule changes, like adding scopes and/or cartridges, but, I haven't seen anything on that yet. Probably won't until the new Army cartridge is adopted fully. Then might see it added to the US Palma and F-TR.

With the faster twist, 80 or 90gn bullets, and a longish barrel I suspect a .223 would be give the .308 loads a run for their money at 1000yd. The only problem would be getting them to fit in a magazine. Don't think AICS mags would allow seating them out very far.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I hate to say this, but, it may not have been your rifle. When I got my .223 it was my first accurate rifle in over 20 years. I had grown up with military rifles and a deer rifle that was never shot past 100yd. When I was in my 20's I could hit military targets at 400yd with open sights. The Axis was much more accurate and was my first attempt at range since the 70's. I found myself able to squeak out MOA groups, but, could not seem to break that limit.

I finally had to admit it was me and not the rifle. Took several range sessions and a good bag/rest combination before I could get my technique improved. Back to basics kind of thing. Solid position, trigger control, breathing, etc. I finally got myself to settle down and I could get consistent 1/2MOA groups. I just cannot get below that consistently, even with a much better rifle. And yes, it is me. I am just not patient enough and I lose concentration easily.

After that I started on my wind reading at longer ranges. That was another big step for me and I am still not that good at it.
    You sound like me, a little of it is age, but I've never been a patient person. It gets even worse when I shoot four rounds close together, then the pressure is on to not screw up the fifth one. It happens too often to be just bad luck!

Basic Member
    Yep, I know the feeling well LOL I can also tell the difference when I get toward the end of a session.

Team Savage

Happens to me as well but am getting better. Confidence in your equipment and load really help.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    LOL

It is rewarding when you find a group of folks to shoot with. Good luck in your quest.
    Thank you. There is a mid-range match in two weeks I plan to attend. The comradery is just as important as the shooting if not more so!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12