Thread: Can we Talk About Annealing?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Can we Talk About Annealing?

Not why or when, but how. I anneal the neck and shoulder of my brass with a torch every time its reloaded. I keep it simple and use a 10 mm deep well socket on a drill for 6.5 Creedmoor. I drop the case in the socket and spin it for 8 seconds in the flame of a propane torch. The socket makes holding the case easy and provides some protection for the body of the case. I think I average 40-60 rounds a week and have 200 cases in a rotation so I end up annealing 120-160 cases every three weeks. It doesn't take a lot of time, but automating the process has its allure. Does anyone have one of the automatic propane case annealers?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151122_124700.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	9194variable speed, 2 torch
    sorry, don't see a pic rotation button
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    If you are annealing every time you reload, make sure you check neck thickness. Softer necks tend to gain in thickness and not in length.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

What Sharpshooter said.....I've annealed for years. Currently I've been using an
    "Anealeeze" and use it alot for my wild catting hobby. My process for annealing
    starts with fire forming, then the first two actual loadings. I do not do anymore
    annealing on those cases. By the time I'm ready to load the forth time, the cases
    have a good carbon layer in the neck which I do not want to disturb.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Banned
    Ernest, I do mine the same as you. Propane torch & spun in a deep socket. I also make sure to do it in very low light so I can see the color of the brass. At some point I’m going to build an Induction Coil annealer, but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

I use an EP annealing machine, similar to others with an adjustable wheel/drum to control the length of time in the single flame. I don't anneal very often as I don't shoot that much in terms of volume, so I do it in "batches" when I clean/process the brass I have used. I shoot mainly 20 and 22 cal, with a small amount of 6BR. I have my "everyday" cases for those calibers and then other brass for those varmint rounds that are kept seperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Ernest, I do mine the same as you. Propane torch & spun in a deep socket. I also make sure to do it in very low light so I can see the color of the brass. At some point I’m going to build an Induction Coil annealer, but haven’t gotten around to it yet.
    Yeah, our method is simple and doesn't cost much to use. Induction annealing fascinates me and the AMP website has a boatload of info on why induction annealing is better than using a flame, but I have tried to read it a couple of times and my eyes glaze over and I fall asleep! The price tags really puts me off for the small amount of annealing I actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    What Sharpshooter said.....I've annealed for years. Currently I've been using an
    "Anealeeze" and use it alot for my wild catting hobby. My process for annealing
    starts with fire forming, then the first two actual loadings. I do not do anymore
    annealing on those cases. By the time I'm ready to load the forth time, the cases
    have a good carbon layer in the neck which I do not want to disturb.
    I've never heard of them, but I have been considering a similar type of device, the Burst Fire Annealer. I'll check out the Annealeez

https://burstfireguns.com/products/n...se-prep-center

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    If you are annealing every time you reload, make sure you check neck thickness. Softer necks tend to gain in thickness and not in length.
    I have a box of unused brass, I'll compare the neck thickness on those with the brass I'm using.