Views:	34 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	9190Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stevens1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	9191
    You are only limited by your imagination

Never seen one. What cartridge they shoot?

They are chambered in .22 rim fire. The sights are adjustable for elevation and are pretty good. Triggers are excellent and are about 2 pounds pull..

Cool
    Those look really fun to shoot

Dan

Nice pistols! I've been wanting to try one of those for years but every time I find one for sale it's either a junker or somebody thinks it's made of gold!
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    I have one. I bought it years ago from an older fellow who was "thinning the herd". I believe mine is the "Stevens Offhand Target" and based upon the markings on my pistol. My pistol markings are "Stevens A&T Co. Chicopee Falls Mass" (In two lines). That would put mine as being made between 1886 and 1916. My S\N is approaching 50,000....and since they began with S\N 25,000 and made about 35,000 of them...the "last" S\N would be approaching 60,000.

According to a blog I came across years ago, the first pic describes the firearm markings and the years of production. Along with S\N's. From what I've read...and I can't recall where from....but there is a difference between the "Stevens No. 35" and the "Stevens No. 35 Target."

The one I have has the 6" barrel and is in good shape. I've seen outrageous prices ask for these in bad shape....but I've also never seen anyone buy them for those outrageous prices.

These little handguns are quite accurate. There are some "missing" safety features. There is no rebound hammer on the pistol. So, when you fire it the hammer stays down against the firing pin. This could lead to some serious issues as the user can load another round in the barrel, and when the gun is "snapped" shut, the firing pin is still exposed with the hammer pushing against it. The round could go off under such circumstances....so great care must be taken when shooting these pistols.

It appears from the OP's pics, his is one that was made between 1916 and 1942.

Oh....just to edit this I did post something about this firearm on the forum....I found it: https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...stol-Kanumdrum

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xv7WiMC.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	9292 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YOGJ0k1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	186.5 KB 
ID:	9293

Thanks for the reference material. on of my pistols is in the 44xxx serial number range and the other has an "A" prefix. as in A7xxx. about the only difference in physical appearance id the front sight. One has a blade and the other has a bead. both have the 2 line J Stevens script. one one specimen ther is a 1 inside a circe in front of the J Stevens. otherwise both are alike and both have 6" barrels

Basic Member
    The S\N with the prefix of "A" is interesting. I've not heard of that before. Is it possible that what you're looking at as the letter "A" is really the number "4"? Factory stampings back in the day were done quite differently than today. It would make sense if that firearm S\N was #47,XXX. Close to what mine is at #49,XXX. Just a thought.

And another piece of insignificant information is the "Stevens" name. Originally, the name of the company was "J. Stevens Arms and Tools Co". This is why you see "A & T Co" stamped on the barrels.

Name:	Stevens3.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	9309
    I'm pretty sure that's an A not a 4.............Truly I don't know all that much about the history of these. But they are pretty cool little firearms.

Basic Member
    Yup.....That for sure is an "A"!!

You have two very nice pieces! Use 'em and have fun. That's what I do with mine.

Just as a comparison, with the limited facts of these little pistols that I have:

Your pistols stamping “J Stevens Arms Company = made 1916-1942
    Your S\N is “A7401”

My stamping “J Stevens A & T Co = made 1886-1916

My S\N is “49xxx”

Since the document I referenced indicates that the "Stevens Offhand Target #35 Pistol" had S\N that started at 25,000, and these Stevens Offhand #35's were made (via barrel stamping) between 1907 & 1916, that would indicate that my pistol was\is the "Stevens Offhand #35" made in that time period.

But your's is a different animal. Because of the barrel stamping of "J Stevens Arms Company", that would indicate your pistol was made during the 1916 to 1942 time period. In addition, your S\N is below the #25,000 that is allegedly the beginning S\N of the "Offhand #35".

However,
    according to https://gunvalues.gundigest.com/stev.../no-35-target/ there is a distinct difference between the No. 35 Target, and the No. 35. According to the web site the "Number 35" description is as follows: Chambered for .22 rimfire, .22 Stevens-Pope and .25 Stevens cartridges. Offered with 6", 8", 10" or 12.25" part-octagonal barrel. Firing pin has no bushing. Features an iron frame that is blued or plated, with a blued barrel. Plain walnut grips, with a weighted buttcap. Featured open sights. Approximately 43,000 manufactured between 1923 and 1942. NOTE: Longer barrels worth a premium. 35".

So, from this information I can only conclude that your pistol with the "A" S\N, and the barrel stamping on your's, that your model is the "Number 35" and not the "Number 35 Offhand". And frankly, other than the year of manufacture, I don't see any physical differences in the two pistols.

So...I'm guessing my pistol was made mebby in 1914-1916, and yours was made mebby 1917-1918?

Well.....there's THAT mystery solved!!!

Steeltrap thanks for the added information on these pistols. I'm including some pics highlighting the differences in the 2 I have. if I keep looking at them I'm envisioning a custom fitted case for them....drat another rabbit hole to fall in...... The rear sight differ slightly in shape and front sights are a little different . the markings on the barrel vary significantly , other than that they are pretty much the same.

Name:	SSpistol1.jpg 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	9310Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sspistol2.jpg 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	9311Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sspistol3.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	9312

Basic Member

Name:	o2mfvRHh.jpg 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	9319Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yx3cHOwh.jpg 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	9320Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pu5TqaSh.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	9321

Here's a few pics of my Stevens Offhand. The guy I bought it from acquired it when it was still in the factory plastic. That was his story. He said he used it raccoon hunting with dogs. The wear marks were from (according to him) when he carried it in his truck between the seat and consol.