Thread: 84C

84C

This past week I was coming back from a KS hunt and had a little time, so I stopped by a couple of pawn shops. I snagged a Savage 84C that shoots shorts, Longs, & Long Rifle, paid the man a $110 and on my way. It does not have a serial number on it, so I am guessing it is a 50's or so, no clue.

Got it home and took it to the Club yesterday and the magazine would not let the ammo feed; the bullets seemed to stick. I ran about 50 or 60 through it one at a time and it worked fine that way. Pretty dirty little gun, so I decided to clean it up, thought I would spray the magazine out to see if it had any crud in it, spring seemed ok. Still, the bullets stuck. Upon further investigation I see that it is a Remington clip and I believe it is for just .22 Long as the bullet fit too tight. It also did not fit in the gun right, a little slop. I see where the Savage has a smaller notch than the Remington. I ordered one yesterday, hopefully it will work.

Basic Member
    I like finding those $100 broke guns that just need simple fixes!! Hopefully the new mag cures the feed problem!!

I recently got a $100 Marlin 783 .22 magnum that needed an inner mag tube. I have several Marlin mag tubes at home so I fugure it's $100 worth of fun. With just a few simple mods the .22 LR mag tube worked just fine, and the crusty looking gun cleaned up nicely. It shoots holes touching groups!

I am wanting to take this gun down and give it a good cleaning. To get the bolt apart I need a tool that will slip over the (what I believe is) the Striker. I need to push it agains the spring so I can get the C clip out. Does anyone know what that tool is called and where I can purchase one at?

Well, I finally got a little extra time and made me one - worked like a champ!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Plinkn View Post
    Well, I finally got a little extra time and made me one - worked like a champ!
    Love it when making your own tools does the job . . . .
    To remove the barrel from a Krag receiver, I made the tool . . . .from OAK wood! It worked!
    To replace the fire pins of a Hunter Arms shotgun, I made the tool to compress the springs . . . .again, from OAK wood! It also worked!

nice!