Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Contender Barrel Cleaning Stand

Basic Member

Some very good cleaning vise ideas.

Bob R
    See You at the Range

Basic Member
    Julesk your stand looks very nice. What are you using for padding in the jaws?

Bob Cat made a Spotting Scope stand using 3/4" Pipe, with a Pipe Clamp to attach it to the Bench Top. He then mounted a Camera Tripod Head to the top end of the Pipe to mount the Spotting Scope to. I made a copy of Bob Cat's Spotting Scope Stand, which works GREAT.

I next made a second version only with a 6" Carpenters Vise welded to the top of the pipe instead of the Camera Tripod Head. I added Nylon Blocks to the vise jaws. This cleaning vise works pretty well for Range Cleaning of my handguns. It could stand better Vise Jaw Pads however.

Bob R
    See You at the Range

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Roach View Post
    Julesk your stand looks very nice. What are you using for padding in the jaws?

Bob Cat made a Spotting Scope stand using 3/4" Pipe, with a Pipe Clamp to attach it to the Bench Top. He then mounted a Camera Tripod Head to the top end of the Pipe to mount the Spotting Scope to. I made a copy of Bob Cat's Spotting Scope Stand, which works GREAT.

I next made a second version only with a 6" Carpenters Vise welded to the top of the pipe instead of the Camera Tripod Head. I added Nylon Blocks to the vise jaws. This cleaning vise works pretty well for Range Cleaning of my handguns. It could stand better Vise Jaw Pads however.

Bob R
    Good to see you back Bob! My original spotting scope stand disappeared along with my Bower style rest and my Rock bench rest when somebody helped themselves to my range box out of the back of my truck. I'm really glad my SEB Mini-X wasn't in there too! So at some point I'll have to make a new scope stand.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Stand Complete

It took me a year but I finally finished my version of a Contender Barrel Stand to use for cleaning.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tc stand.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	10272Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tc stand 2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	10273
    It was a fun project. If you get bored it was fairly easy once I got all the measurements figured out.

Very nice!!!

Nice job bigdaddy!
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12