Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contender Barrel Cleaning Stand

Contender Barrel Cleaning Stand

When you have too much time on your hands you think too much. I am wondering if anyone had ever built a stand to hold your contender barrels while you clean them? I know you can hold them with your hands but remember, I've been thinking.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Basic Member
    Mike, About 15-20 years ago one of the guys at Specialty Pistols made us really nice barrels stands. They were made out of oak, adjustable for pistol or rifle, level on the base, adjustable legs if you are mounting optics, and mine has red felt anyplace the barrel touches. I hope one of the old guys will post a pic.

Iowa I remember those. Another feller on there made me one that holds the complete gun. Love it. Absolutely awesome. Ive used it for guns other than contender/encore also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 65812696-87D5-4ADA-884E-50A709EC7E9A.jpg  

Wow
    That is a pretty cool set up Kyode, never seen one

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by KYODE View Post
    Iowa I remember those. Another feller on there made me one that holds the complete gun. Love it. Absolutely awesome. Ive used it for guns other than contender/encore also.
    I could use one those myself. Sweet setup.

Quote Originally Posted by KYODE View Post
    Kyode,
    Sweet rest other than they miss spelled Mjshell. Send it my way and I will fix it for you. No charge��

Cool

I would think that would be a really handy addition to the gun room. I don't remember the barrel stands from SP but it sounds like something that would be really handy, especially for us old guys that tend to drop things more than we used to!

It's a balmy 24 degrees here this morning, I think I'll go shooting for a while
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

I have a pair of soft jaw inserts for my bench vice. I clamp my barrel in those and can angle the whole thing down so the patch or cleaning fluids can drop right down into my shop trash can.

Not as elegant as that cleaning stand, but it is rather impervious to cleaning fluids.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Basic Member
    I have been using a Lohman sight vise for over 25 years. Works great for cleaning barrels or sighting in at the range. It has a removable bottom and I added some lead weight to steady it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sight vice.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Julesk View Post
    I have been using a Lohman sight vise for over 25 years. Works great for cleaning barrels or sighting in at the range. It has a removable bottom and I added some lead weight to steady it.
    Sweet looking carbine Julesk !
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

I have 1 and I'm willing to let it go for the cost of shipping, about $10. Email me at accurateArms and Ammo at Hotmail .com (invisible remove all the spaces) and we can work out the details. I have a pic of can send.

Sent ya an email, Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by BT View Post
    Sent ya an email, Mike.
    It is yours. There was a time that I used it constantly but then I got a bench vise, made soft jaws for it and heaven used it since. Glad it's going to someone that'll use it again. It was made by Lonehunter (on SP).

Basic Member
    Kile I have one of those also, got it the same time you got yours Jeff (longhunter) done a good job in making those back then. He also made another one that just holds the barrel and it was adjustable for length, I got that one also and use them a lot, especially the one that holds the complete gun at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
    It is yours. There was a time that I used it constantly but then I got a bench vise, made soft jaws for it and heaven used it since. Glad it's going to someone that'll use it again. It was made by Lonehunter (on SP).
    Thanks, Mike!

AL…….”bob” made my vise. I forget his handle back then. Had a son in law or something whos name was “perry”. I forget what his handle was also, if it wasn’t perry lol.
    they must have rode off into the sunset….. Disappeared.

Basic Member
    Yes Bob did make mine like your but jeff made my other one.

Right! Was bob called “vmt_hunter” maybe?

I do. I designed and built it myself out of aluminum angle iron. Had a friend mill a "U" for a barrel channel and use a stud and nut for pin hole. Works great for cleaning and scope / sight mounting. Wish I could post pictures. I can barely do this.

Basic Member
    I made these out of wood clamps. Great for cleaning everything!

Yes, I made the barrel cleaning/ scope mounting stand back in the day! I have thought about making them again but not sure people would pay what they would cost to make and ship.

Quote Originally Posted by lonehunter View Post
    Yes, I made the barrel cleaning/ scope mounting stand back in the day! I have thought about making them again but not sure people would pay what they would cost to make and ship.
    I would be interested for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by lonehunter View Post
    I would say figure out what you'd need to charge and then make a forum thread here in the SP forums to see if you get enough interest.

You may be surprised?
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
    Can you post photos of what you use now? It would be interesting to see.

Basic Member
    Here's a pic with a barrel in it. I use it to clean all my guns. I also use a vice with soft jaws in the garage when weather is nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20230616_133915.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast