Thread: Savage 10 FM - 7.62x39

Stever

Savage 10 FM - 7.62x39

I believe the question was asked in the Industry News area, but I will ask again.

Does anyone know whether the new 10 FM 7.62x39 is .308 or .311? For anyone that wants a bolt action in this cal, opinion is likely split as to whether or not it should be .308 or .311. For reloaders, it's a no brainer - .308.

hailstone

Re: Savage 10 FM - 7.62x39

Either way its a none issue for me. I have both bore diameters in various 7.62x39 chamberings. AK's and SKS's get the 310 bullets and rest get the 308 bullets. I've never noticed much degredration in accuracy between the 308 and 310 bullets in the AK or SKS. Entirely different story with American made bolt guns or European manufactured bolt rifles. Makes big difference in those rifles so simple thing too remember - use American in American rifles (308) and European in European rifles (310).

Side note if you want your barrel too last don't shoot the steel jacket bullets that are copper washed. Easy test is too use a magnet.

Stever

Okay, but the question still stands - Is this rifle's barrel .308 or .311? Your response is non sequitur.

If American made it's .308", as stated.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

I've been looking into a chamber adapter to shoot 7.62x39 out of my 308. I have a few of them that I use to shoot 32 acp out of 308 and 303 rifles and found them to be very accurate for dispatching back yard rodents and such.

Basic Member

I called Savage yest. Was told that the barrel is a .308.

Stever

Thanks Rover31.

I know that many US shooters do not like the 7.62x39, but I've never known why. Rifle sales have always been poor. For people that just want to plink, there have always been a lot of cheap, surplus military arms around. I guess that's where most of the interest lies with this cartridge. Generally speaking, surplus ammunition has been in good supply.

If you reload for the 7.62x39, having a rifle with a .308 barrel is a great solution for eastern deer hunters or varmint hunters looking for a bigger bullet. I've used this cartridge with .311 bullets and bagged a few coyotes with 125 grain bullets, but I think having a few more bullet weights and types is wonderful.

This rifle is pricey for a Savage, but it's worth it if you're hunting for deer at less than 200 yd. or coyotes at 250 yd or less, this is a viable option.

Basic Member

Is this the only Savage line with 7.62x39? Savage has waited a long time to offer a 7.62x39 bolt gun and they offer on a expensive platform for this cheap caliber. What are they thinking??? what shank size and bolt head? Maybe cheaper just buy the barrel and bolt head and do the conversion.

Team Savage

Nothing wrong with the 7.62x39 for a deer and hog rifle.
    Not quite as good as the 6.8 spc, but it works, and you can shoot heavy bullets.

Actually a 6.8 SPC is really what they should build. Great hunting caliber.

I had an AR in 7.62x39 a few years ago. Got 3 deer with it one year.

I loaded the 308 110 gr Vmax to get the velocity up.
    Shot 3/4" groups.
    Shot a deer in the neck with that setup at about 50 yards and it dropped on the spot.

Also shot some wolf ammo. The 123s shot all over the place.

The 154s or whatevers softpoint (or we should call them hard points) shot pretty tight.
    Used them and shot two deer in the boiler room.
    Terrible bullet as the lead is hard as a rock and the bullet does not mushroom.

Pencil size hole in, pencil size hole out.
    I recovered both of the deer.

My 90 YO dad went out with me tracking one, and when he looked at the exit hole he said
    "that's where you hit him". I did a double take and realized that was the exit hole.

I ended up shelving that ammo and using good brass and reloading everything since the Wolf stuff is such junk.

Never could get the 123 gr TSX bullets to group at all. Shot about 3-4 inches

Eric in NC

The Wolf ammo has copper washed, steel jacket ammo so that is why it doesn't expand.

Copper washed steel jacket ammo won't wear your barrel a whole lot faster than copper jacketed ammo - proven in many military tests. Just not good for hunting!

As far as the bore diameter - if it is a .308 and they make the throat REALLY long like Ruger does (so that pressures with .310-.311 ammo don't go through the roof), then you get sub-par accuracy.

It really does make a difference - if the bore is .308 and it has a "normal" throat, it might go over pressure with milsurp or milsurp "style" ammo (like wolf). If it has a long throat, it won't be the best accuracy for handloaders.

hawkinpup

Quote Originally Posted by tammons
    Nothing wrong with the 7.62x39 for a deer and hog rifle.
    Not quite as good as the 6.8 spc, but it works, and you can shoot heavy bullets.

Actually a 6.8 SPC is really what they should build. Great hunting caliber.

I had an AR in 7.62x39 a few years ago. Got 3 deer with it one year.

I loaded the 308 110 gr Vmax to get the velocity up.
    Shot 3/4" groups.
    Shot a deer in the neck with that setup at about 50 yards and it dropped on the spot.

Good luck trying to buy a bolt head from savage called three diffrent people and all I got was a huge road block.
    Also shot some wolf ammo. The 123s shot all over the place.

The 154s or whatevers softpoint (or we should call them hard points) shot pretty tight.
    Used them and shot two deer in the boiler room.
    Terrible bullet as the lead is hard as a rock and the bullet does not mushroom.

Pencil size hole in, pencil size hole out.
    I recovered both of the deer.

My 90 YO dad went out with me tracking one, and when he looked at the exit hole he said
    "that's where you hit him". I did a double take and realized that was the exit hole.

I ended up shelving that ammo and using good brass and reloading everything since the Wolf stuff is such junk.

Never could get the 123 gr TSX bullets to group at all. Shot about 3-4 inches