Thread: Essential TC barrel chamberings

Essential TC barrel chamberings

There are several chamberings that I’ve considered to be classics to the platform that just speak and make you think Thompson Center, primarily Contender. Cartridges that didn’t necessarily have success anywhere else but in TCs, or perhaps their most popularity was in a TC.

Some I think of are the 357 Max, the TC/U’s, 7/30 Waters, 30/30 AI, 375 JDJ, among others. Are there some you guys feel the same way about?

Team Savage
    For me, it would be the 6.5mm JDJ. While the Contender was already popular, the introduction of the 6.5 JDJ -- and to a lesser degree the .375 JDJ -- helped put the Contender format into the limelight, so to speak. It may not be an original factory chambering, but the words "6.5 JDJ" and "Contender" go hand--in-hand like peanut butter and jelly ha ha. Even with the lack of new .225 brass, the 6.5 mm JDJ remains one of the most coveted Contender chamberings.

Basic Member
    unfortunatly i seem to like about all of them, i think.

but, if i had to pick a few, it'd be:

short range plinking & general fun: .32mag, or maybe 32/20
    deer, within a hundred yards or so: .41mag, or .357max
    deer at a bit farther out: 7x30, 30-30, and some sort of 6.5, like the 6.5x30-30ackley, 6.5jdj, 6.5bullberry imp, etc
    thumpers for either bigger critters, or hunting in thick cover, etc: 45/70, .338jdj, .375jdj

Then there’s the Herrets

Essential……every single one i own im thinkin.

a rimfire, whether 22lr match or one of the 17s

a good 223 or maybe another 22 centerfire,just to have if for no other reason.

a nice shooting small 6mm, such as 6x45, 6x47, or 6tcu. Excellent target rounds or for varmint/predator hunting.

30-30Ai for all purpose hunting. A 7-30 may be ok here if thats your pick.

357 maximum and 35 remington are great choices for hunting also. I think i could pull off an elk with the 35rem if i wanted/needed to.

i think thats a basic contender nut jobs essential list. I could easily add more that are or would be nice to have. 6.5tcu or jdj, 358jdj, tbe herretts, 300 whisper, 44mag, 45-70…….257 tcu would be really cool. Theres never enough!

Essential (for me):

First qualifier is that I gave up hunting long ago. Mostly I just shoot at paper and an occasional IHMSA target.

357 Mag. Nothing fancy here. It is just that I really like having a gun that will eat anything (such as loads that other guns do not like) I feed it and give me some good target practice.

10" 7 TCU. This one fits into the same performance category as my 30 Herrett, but has a edge in brass availability (large batches are real plus for IHMSA use). I also can load it to the point of damaging brass with no worry about frame stretch.

32 something. With my current use, I want a 22 LR equivalent I can feed with small cast bullets over a dinky charge of powder ignited by reloaded primers. I am currently using a 8" stub tube 30 ACP rimmed for this function.

Definately need a rimfire.

A .44 Mag - but I'd give a pass on the 10" octagonal - too muzzle light!

Be sure to pick up a carbine barrel and stock. A tiny .223 carbine is one of my favorite any-bang-sticks and is my "tractor gun" when I shag firewood.

My wife is a huge fan of the .45 Colt/.410 shotgun vent ribbed. Hey, if it gets her shooting I'm all for it.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite but my go to list would include .30-30, .22 Hornet, .30 and .357 Herrett. I think the .30-30 is probably the one that screams Contender to me. When I think of Contenders though I tend to think of the guys who influenced me to try them in the first place, Steve Herrett, Bob Milek, Don Bower and J.D. Jones were mostly to blame for this affliction!
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    i shot several deer in my TC Encore in a 15" MGM barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor with 120 and 140gr Nosler BT over a load of Superformance. i learned alot and i sold it. now i use it for 23" MGM Barrels in 20 Vartarg, 444 Marlin and 500 Linebaugh.

my dad (RIP) had a Contender with a 14" muzzle brake barrel in 7x30 Waters. a 115gr Speer HP over IMR4895 killed alot of deer. i'd say for him, the 7x30 Waters is essential.

i have his Contender and i bought 30 and 357 Herrett in 10" barrels. i still have to shoot them, but the 30 Herrett will be my deer handgun. i have 130gr Speer HP with Rel 7, H4198, H322 and a couple of more powders. i would like Rel 7 only because i have so much of it!!! the 357 Herrett, someday will be cast boolit handgun for deer.

my dad would tell me back in he 1970s that he knew a work that had a TC Contender in 30 Herrett for his deer gun. my dad always told me that he should get a 30 Herrett but he never did. i still have to work on the reforming of brass, but i ain't scared!!!!

Basic Member
    I must think several are essential as i have at least one in every normal dimension starting from the 17 caliber to 45 caliber except for 338 and have thought about the 338 JDJ but have not saw one reasonable lately. Have enough to keep me occupied with fun when i have the time. They are truly addictive.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ramon View Post
    I must think several are essential as i have at least one in every normal dimension starting from the 17 caliber to 45 caliber except for 338 and have thought about the 338 JDJ but have not saw one reasonable lately. Have enough to keep me occupied with fun when i have the time. They are truly addictive.
    really glad to see someone else posting that, so i know i'm not the only one. And, you DO need a .338 too....am getting 2650fps out of Barnes 160's in the .338jdj carbine, and with less recoil than the other bigger JDJ's...

Basic Member
    Yep most of them have more than one in different dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by BT View Post
    There are several chamberings that I’ve considered to be classics to the platform that just speak and make you think Thompson Center, primarily Contender. Cartridges that didn’t necessarily have success anywhere else but in TCs, or perhaps their most popularity was in a TC.

Some I think of are the 357 Max, the TC/U’s, 7/30 Waters, 30/30 AI, 375 JDJ, among others. Are there some you guys feel the same way about?
    My barrels kind of run the gamut i.e. 357 max, 7/30 Waters and 45-70.

This discussion came up many times over the years on the SP forum and every time I found myself coming up with the same answer:
    Most useful and essential are 223 and 44 Mag in Super 14 and 30-30 AI in a carbine.
    Next tier would be a 6.5 or 257 Bullberry or JDJ chambering in a carbine, 357 Mag in a 10" and a 223 based wildcat in 14".
    The 6.8 SPC has eased into the collection and has become a favorite but I wouldn't consider it a first choice over some of the others.
    Since my hands won't handle much pistol recoil these days, I've gravitated to more carbine set-ups. That means that 223 is about the only handgun I shoot these days but 44 mag is still in the mix as a great carbine chambering. I've never seen rimfire rounds as particularly essential in Contender given the abundance of relatively cheap and accurate bolt and semi-auto rifles.

7/30 waters and 357 max Have probably Been chambered in the contender more than in any other gun. I believe the contender kept these 2 calibers Going long after what would have been their expiration date. Both must haves!

Basic Member
    Herrett and JDJ, polar opposites! Herrett is super efficient, barely usable velocities, but still great rounds. JDJ MAX velocity, pressure and bullet size!

In the last year Im just getting back into the single shots after many years away. I think the list of "Essential" cartridges is going to vary on where you live & what you hunt.
    I live & hunt in Alaska
    Right now I have a 15" Encore in 308.
    In Contenders I have 10" 22WMR, 14" 6.5 JDJ, 14" 375 JDJ, & 14" 45-70. That pile really covers all the animals I might hunt. 14" 22LR barrel might be a good choice just for cheap shooting and to duplicate the feel of the heavier hunting barrels.
    At some point I may trade the 308 Encore for 30-30AI or 308JDJ Contender.

There all "essential" some more than others & depending on time of day.
    Starts at 17hmr, 22lr, 22 hornet (soon to be K), 223 my avatar and 357mag. All super 14
    Currently putting together a Encore w/15" 22-250

I like a LOT of posters in this thread have owned My Share, (LOL) Dozens if not Hundreds, of Contender barrels. Must confess I have Loved them all. They allowed me to meet a lot of online Experts and Friends. They have brought my family closer. We will be having our NINTH annual Pumpkin Annihilation this Halloween. A Contender, Tannerite ,Kids, and Grandkids WHAT could possibly be better. We have Dum-Dum shoots as often as possible. My oldest Grandson is hopelessly HOOKED. The joy of watching the Kids and Grandkids amaze their self with shots that make me SMILE. The entire family jokes saying my oldest Grandson won't be able to attend my funeral. He will have a U-Haul backed up to my gun room / loading shop.
    I tell this to explain my choices. My two favorite and most shot chamberings are an OTT 20 VarTarg and OTT 20 TAC. Both have a 10 ounce trigger and wear a 8.5-25x50 Leupold. Very light recoil and if you miss, the gun can not be blamed. For hunting I shoot a 6.5mm BB IMP and if I am feeling adventurous (NOT often) I have a SSK 375 JDJ To round out my current collection I have a SSK 300 Whisper and an OTT 219 Wasp. Down to six and tell everybody I won't buy another, but I do Have seven Frames so WHO KNOWS Anyone have a REAL interesting one they want to rehome LOL
    Safe shooting all my Friends
    Doug
    Enjoy Life but remember we are only practicing for something Better.

Best chambers

I personally appreciate Bellm's work on my 21" 222 Rem Mag Imp. Thanks Mike!
    http://web.archive.org/web/201608170...ex.php?cid=79&

Basic Member
    375 JDJ and 30 Herrett seem pretty standard, but there are other mid range that do the Herrett’s job better….like 7-30 waters or 6.5 JDJ #2.

I need a good 22 or 6mm. I want the 6mm Donaldson Wasp!….or maybe a 20 Vartarg.

Basic Member
    This would be my pick of favorites:
    22LR
    223 Remington
    6.5x30JDJ
    30-30AI
    35 BullBerry
    357 Maximum is a good one also. Probably the best on my list for cast bullets.

I could very easily substitute a 222 Remington for the 223 IF I had 222 Brass.

Bob R
    See You at the Range

22 long rifle and 357max, all I need.

For me, it's the .30-30 Win. in 14" and the .45/410 with vent rib in 14"