Thread: Pillar bedding forends

Basic Member

Found

I have a couple of forends I'd like to get pillars put in. Anybody know who would do this? I've already asked Tony Gettel & Steve Stratton and both declined.

I used to do my own but have moved away from the pillars. Now I just use glass bedding compound around the forend holes. I use 4 to 5 layers of electrical tape on either side of the holes to free float the barrel, apply a small amount of the bedding compound around the forend holes. Make sure you apply a generous amount of release agent to the barrel and forend screws. Screw the forend down and let it set overnight. Pop the forend loose the next day and remove the tape and you should have a free floated barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Sanders View Post
    I have a couple of forends I'd like to get pillars put in. Anybody know who would do this? I've already asked Tony Gettel & Steve Stratton and both declined.
    I have had good luck with a couple of small rubber "O" rings around the forend screws.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    All of mine with pillars have came from Tony's. I've read online though, I think on Bellm's page, about DIY on them. Nothing I've ever tried though. Before I started getting the pillar forends I had great success as BobT said with rubber o-rings between the barrel and forend over the screws.

Basic Member
    I would try using washers " the ones used to rebuild faucets work fine" and you can modify them to your needs, or electric tape before doing anything else just to see if it makes any difference. Before I started using hanger bars I had barrels and factory forends that shot great as is.

I did my own.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_418.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	214.5 KB 
ID:	9673

Name:	fullsizeoutput_41a.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	9676

Name:	fullsizeoutput_41d.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	186.0 KB 
ID:	9674

Name:	DSCN2116.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	9675

Not too difficult. Got the pillars off ebaY and used the Brownell's bedding kit for the epoxy. Had to machine the rear post to give clearance for the sear. Dremel and file work. Bedded the floorplate as well while I was at it. Very solid results.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Found someone. Thanks guys.

Banned
    It’s really not difficult. Guys… I do all this stuff with one arm/hand, one eye… I’m half cripple, half retarded from brain damage from head injury & in pain 24/7. It’s really not difficult. Just need to overcome the fear of doing such & such. Everything I do I learned online & taught myself.

But I wish the best, if you found someone you’re comfortable with and hopefully it’s not costing you an arm & leg.

While pillar bedding would be my chosen use for a bolt action, for a break action (T/C) a hangerbar a better (for me) solution, with an appropriate forend.
    This the solution that Stratton & Bullbery, Pachmeyer (& others) use. As do my T/C based customs.
    Stratton has done h-bars for me, used on WSM & WSSM bbls, (VVCG & MGM took back bbls & replaced with non WSM calibers)

As well as my 500S&W VVCG Carbine w/ Stratton Forend conversion. This the only forend/hbar to hold up to repeated 440&600g loads.

YMMV,
    pics avail
    Mike B

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk