Thread: First Range Results- 1980s Savage 110DL lefty 30-06

First Range Results- 1980s Savage 110DL lefty 30-06

Update to previous post (got this mint condition Savage 110DL LH in 30-06 SPRFLD - mid 1980s production).
    Took her to an indoor range today and shot through it PPU 150gr SP, PPU 165 PSPBT, and Winchester Power Point 165gr PSP. Wasn't the best accuracy testing - only had an hour, and the range benches aren't super. Tried to let the barrel cool for 3 minutes between shots. At 100 yards goal was to get it hitting 2 inches above point of aim. The rifle seemed to prefer the 150gr PPU ammo (best group I got was 1.5") and the Winchester PP 165 gr ammo (best group 1.35"). Still have some tweaking to get it where I want it, but was happy to see that there wasn't a huge difference in point of impact between those two loads. Will buy up some other types of ammo to see what works best. Scope mounting seemed to hold tight; no slippage of the tube or any of the screws I can tell.

The trigger was a big limiting factor - it is stiffer and heavier than I thought originally. Had to seriously focus on a steady squeeze and clean break in order to not have flyers. I will drop the stock and see if I can lighten the trigger pull weight (assuming it has the three screws with the trigger weight one being the slotted flathead screw correct?). Other thing I'm sure skewed the results is not having enough time to let the barrel cool completely between shots. It was not hot to touch, but very warm to touch for all shots.

All in all for first time out, shooting only total of 40 rounds, I'm happy that it is certainly hunting accurate for my purposes.

165 gr PSP Winchester:

150 gr SP PPU:

Banned
    Honestly, a 1.5” group with an 80’s 110 using factory ammo & not the best of conditions is outstanding. I bet you could work a load to be close to 1moa. So what you’re getting is very good. More importantly, it seems it’s achieving some semblance of consistency. And that is very good.

Basic Member
    Either of those loads is certainly minute of deer. good handloads could do much better.

Team Savage

Question for you, was the lower hole on both targets the 1st round shot?

Perfectly adequate for game <200yds with factory ammo assuming you don't load your own. You could try some premium factory ammo to see if it shoots a little tighter but your quarry won't know the difference if you do your part.

I'd have to pull some old files and check but IIRC my mid-80s 110 shot pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Question for you, was the lower hole on both targets the 1st round shot?

Perfectly adequate for game <200yds with factory ammo assuming you don't load your own. You could try some premium factory ammo to see if it shoots a little tighter but your quarry won't know the difference if you do your part.

I'd have to pull some old files and check but IIRC my mid-80s 110 shot pretty much the same.

Actually if my memory serves me well, the lowest hole in both groups was the third shot. So don't know if I pulled the shots (totally plausible) or if it dropped after the barrel heated up by the third shot to degree it started affecting impact.

Basic Member
    I'm glad it came together for you. A lighter trigger and a bedding job might yield even smaller groups.

Those are very good groups with factory ammo. Best of luck