Thread: New to me 1980's Savage 110DL 30-06

New to me 1980's Savage 110DL 30-06

Picked up this mint condition Savage 110DL (Deluxe Left Hand) in 30-06 Springfield. Looks to be a walnut stock with cut checkering (laser?) and decent figure to it. Serial # dates it to mid-1980's production. Blind magazine. Getting a scope mounted for it has been a PITA. I ordered a Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 to put on Weaver bases using Weaver standard rings. Turns out the scope's mounting length was too short to span the long action. So got Weaver extension rings (adds 3/4" in whichever direction you mount them). The Trophy fit with both ring's extension facing in towards the action, but still couldn't get the scope to go back far enough to get good eye relief view. So had to order a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 with 6" eye relief. Now has good full view with my normal cheek position on the stock (I am not a stock creeper) but looks kind of funky. Oh well. Even ordered a full picatinny rail made for the flat back 110s, but I'd need extra high rings to use that and the whole set up would've put the scope way higher than I like. The way I have it mounted gives more space over the action open than a pic rail - less chance for case ejection getting messed up and easier to load. At the scope's current height the bolt handle clears the eye bell with about 1/4" to spare. Any closer would be tough to manipulate with gloves on. Gonna take her out tomorrow and shoot her for first time. Hoping she's accurate; being a lefty this rifle was a good buy; $400 for it, and I always like how the older 110s have iron sights still.

Nice looking older lefty.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Nice looking older lefty.
    Thank you. First Savage centerfire I've owned. First hunting bolt action centerfire I've owned in a while - all my other bolt actions are milsurps or rimfires.

Hopefully it proves to be a shooter for you. The 1980's wasn't a good decade for Savage as the owners at the time were milking it for everything they could without replacing/upgrading tooling and machinery which resulted in the quality going way down. This ultimately lead to their filing for bankruptcy protection in 1988 which is when Ron Coburn was brought in to salvage what was left of the company.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Well that's not info I wanted to hear. LOL Visually everything looks good on it. Only thing that looked like a shortcut is that the barrel is blued glossy, as is the bolt handle, but the receiver is a matte finish. Guess only range time will tell...

Banned
    Wow! That is one clean 80’s classic. I’m no wood stock guy, but that wood on yours is purdy-as-can be! Sorry for the scope mounting woes. Again with stocks, I’m lucky to be so fond of Aluminum Chassis’. They are In-Line style & mounting a scope is easy as it’s similar to the AR platform. Go high & use an adjustable cheek weld, and all’s well. (Which I used to not like on principal, but have come to appreciate.)

As Jim alluded to, the 80’s were a dark time for Savage. They let slide some shameful pieces during those years. Any of us who’ve dealt with Savage 110’s for any length of time, know to generally steer clear of that era. But they usually come with “tells”. Blatant machining mistakes, warped Actions, mis-drilled base screw holes, or extra flashing material in certain places causing binding/rough action of bolt, etc. That said, yours looks brilliant… and you’d know by now of any of the mentioned faults. So hopefully you snagged a good’n! A “Diamond in the Rough”, as it were. Good luck, and let us know how it fairs.

BTW: minor problems encountered are typically easily fixed. So if you experience any feeding/firing issues, don’t fret.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Wow! That is one clean 80’s classic. I’m no wood stock guy, but that wood on yours is purdy-as-can be! Sorry for the scope mounting woes. Again with stocks, I’m lucky to be so fond of Aluminum Chassis’. They are In-Line style & mounting a scope is easy as it’s similar to the AR platform. Go high & use an adjustable cheek weld, and all’s well. (Which I used to not like on principal, but have come to appreciate.)

As Jim alluded to, the 80’s were a dark time for Savage. They let slide some shameful pieces during those years. Any of us who’ve dealt with Savage 110’s for any length of time, know to generally steer clear of that era. But they usually come with “tells”. Blatant machining mistakes, warped Actions, mis-drilled base screw holes, or extra flashing material in certain places causing binding/rough action of bolt, etc. That said, yours looks brilliant… and you’d know by now of any of the mentioned faults. So hopefully you snagged a good’n! A “Diamond in the Rough”, as it were. Good luck, and let us know how it fairs.

BTW: minor problems encountered are typically easily fixed. So if you experience any feeding/firing issues, don’t fret.
    Thanks! The base screw holes seem fine. The bolt's action is not as slick as some Win. Mod. 70's or Rem. 700's I've handled, but it doesn't bind or feel like it's dragging on anything. Seems to feed/eject live rounds fine. We shall see... fingers crossed.

Team Savage

Nice vintage 110! Have an 80s 110E in 7RM and it's a shooter the 3-screw triggers were nice.

I am also a lefty and had a 300 win mag sporter very similar to yours. I would suggest you relieve the stock in front of the barrel lug to the tip of the stock. The barrel pressing against the stock will hurt your accuracy. You could bed it if you want to get a bit more out of it. My experience with the savages I have had is the barrels come rough from the factory. I have been using them for varmint hunting and range work. For me they brake in nicely after a few hundred rounds and tuning your loads to the gun. I would guess most hunting guns like yours have less than two hundred rounds through them. So if you reload and shoot a bunch, I bet you might have an accurate gun. The savages have a fast lock up time on the trigger and the action and bolt can tolerate being a little sloppy. The triggers can use some work but there are replacements if you want put more money into it. It is the great hunting gun and I hope you enjoy it.