Thread: Electronic Scales

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Electronic Scales

I have two scales, a $38 Lyman Pocket touch digital scale and a $40 Lee Safety Powder scale. Both have proven to be accurate, but both have issues that I dislike. The Lee is slow -- the pointer bounces back and forth quite a bit before settling on a measurement. The Lyman is initially accurate, but the readings begin to drift if you use the scale for very long. I'd like to get a high quality, accurate, electronic powder scale, but need some education and feedback on the available scales.

These are three I've considered.

A&D FX-120i Precision Balance

A&D EJ-303 Precision Balance

Creedmoor Sports TRX-925 Precision reloading scale

Not familiar with that brand, I have 1 Pact and 2 of there RCBS variants. It will be a slippery slope! I have 3 running to make up time for big drops, and still wait a bit for them.
    I think there all fairly accurate, pick the Fastest you can afford! Google them and check for mods, upgrades and hacks.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    If you are going to spend a lot, get the best.

https://www.6mmbr.com/prometheus.html

Note that there is a tradeoff for speed and accuracy. A simple beam scale can be scary accurate, just takes time to settle. You pay more to get a 'faster' scale.

I have a Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series digital scale that suits my needs very well. Checks out 100% with my trusty 5-10 beam scale.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

I have a pair of Paregrine scales I've been using for several years now and backed
    up with a Ohaus 10-10. I'll dump from a Uniflow then trickle to the Paregrine. They
    currently run about $150 bucks and come with power pack, and 2 calibration weights.
    On some scales you have to pay extra for the weights, so check first on that. The
    Paregrine has 2/100th of a grain of resolution and way better then working in tenths
    especially with fast burning powders.

Note....The TRX-925 only has 1/10 resolution for over twice the cost.

If you have the cash, look up the Sartorius
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    Fuj, is the Ohaus 10-10 the same acale as the RCBS 10-10? I've always wondered if RCBS had some quality difference to make them less accurate than the Ohaus. Kinda like Sears used to do when they contracted for an item.

PS I have also found that not all tricklers are equal. I have one that will drop a 'clump' of granules on a regular basis. When weighing to less than .1gn I use a pair of tweezers to put one granule at a time in the pan (stick powders). FWIW, I don't do that very often as it is very time consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    I have a pair of Paregrine scales I've been using for several years now and backed
    up with a Ohaus 10-10. I'll dump from a Uniflow then trickle to the Paregrine. They
    currently run about $150 bucks and come with power pack, and 2 calibration weights.
    On some scales you have to pay extra for the weights, so check first on that. The
    Paregrine has 2/100th of a grain of resolution and way better then working in tenths
    especially with fast burning powders.

Note....The TRX-925 only has 1/10 resolution for over twice the cost.

If you have the cash, look up the Sartorius
    The way the manufacturers state accuracy and resolution confuses me a little.

Both A&D scales say they are accurate to .001 gram which I believe is .0000154324 grains, but on Youtube videos the FX120i only displays two digits to the right of the decimal point.

The EJ-303 displays three digits to the right of the decimal point and claims .002 grain resolution. Is resolution the same as accuracy?

The TRX-925 says its accurate to .01 grains and displays two digits to the right of the decimal point. I don't know how the A&D scales compute weights or converts between grams and grains, but the folks that make the Creedmoor scale says theirs is more accurate because if computes in grains and no conversions are necessary. Depending on how many places the A&D scales take the conversion, rounding could affect accuracy of the scale.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    If you are going to spend a lot, get the best.

https://www.6mmbr.com/prometheus.html

Note that there is a tradeoff for speed and accuracy. A simple beam scale can be scary accurate, just takes time to settle. You pay more to get a 'faster' scale.
    LOL! $3800!! I don’t think I’ll be spending that much!!

I should add that I use an RCBS competition powder charge for 9 MM and 45 ACP and a Lee auto drum for .223. Once I’m certain the charge is set right, I only measure every 10 rounds or so. For 6.5 CM I drop the charge with the RCBS, then trickle to get the exact charge.

The pistol rounds and .223 are just plinking rounds for me and the RCBS and Lee are accurate enough for that application.

Basic Member
    Same for me, but, both my measures are Lee (drum and disk).

I use the Lyman automatic dispenser for rifles. It sometimes needs a granule or two adjustment which I with tweezers.