Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Scales

Electronic Scales

I have two scales, a $38 Lyman Pocket touch digital scale and a $40 Lee Safety Powder scale. Both have proven to be accurate, but both have issues that I dislike. The Lee is slow -- the pointer bounces back and forth quite a bit before settling on a measurement. The Lyman is initially accurate, but the readings begin to drift if you use the scale for very long. I'd like to get a high quality, accurate, electronic powder scale, but need some education and feedback on the available scales.

These are three I've considered.

A&D FX-120i Precision Balance

A&D EJ-303 Precision Balance

Creedmoor Sports TRX-925 Precision reloading scale

Not familiar with that brand, I have 1 Pact and 2 of there RCBS variants. It will be a slippery slope! I have 3 running to make up time for big drops, and still wait a bit for them.
    I think there all fairly accurate, pick the Fastest you can afford! Google them and check for mods, upgrades and hacks.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    If you are going to spend a lot, get the best.

https://www.6mmbr.com/prometheus.html

Note that there is a tradeoff for speed and accuracy. A simple beam scale can be scary accurate, just takes time to settle. You pay more to get a 'faster' scale.

I have a Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series digital scale that suits my needs very well. Checks out 100% with my trusty 5-10 beam scale.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

I have a pair of Paregrine scales I've been using for several years now and backed
    up with a Ohaus 10-10. I'll dump from a Uniflow then trickle to the Paregrine. They
    currently run about $150 bucks and come with power pack, and 2 calibration weights.
    On some scales you have to pay extra for the weights, so check first on that. The
    Paregrine has 2/100th of a grain of resolution and way better then working in tenths
    especially with fast burning powders.

Note....The TRX-925 only has 1/10 resolution for over twice the cost.

If you have the cash, look up the Sartorius
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    Fuj, is the Ohaus 10-10 the same acale as the RCBS 10-10? I've always wondered if RCBS had some quality difference to make them less accurate than the Ohaus. Kinda like Sears used to do when they contracted for an item.

PS I have also found that not all tricklers are equal. I have one that will drop a 'clump' of granules on a regular basis. When weighing to less than .1gn I use a pair of tweezers to put one granule at a time in the pan (stick powders). FWIW, I don't do that very often as it is very time consuming.

ahh, looked it up and see it is just scale, one is enough. I'm running combo despenser and scale.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    If you are going to spend a lot, get the best.

https://www.6mmbr.com/prometheus.html

Note that there is a tradeoff for speed and accuracy. A simple beam scale can be scary accurate, just takes time to settle. You pay more to get a 'faster' scale.
    LOL! $3800!! I don’t think I’ll be spending that much!!

I should add that I use an RCBS competition powder charge for 9 MM and 45 ACP and a Lee auto drum for .223. Once I’m certain the charge is set right, I only measure every 10 rounds or so. For 6.5 CM I drop the charge with the RCBS, then trickle to get the exact charge.

The pistol rounds and .223 are just plinking rounds for me and the RCBS and Lee are accurate enough for that application.

Basic Member
    Same for me, but, both my measures are Lee (drum and disk).

I use the Lyman automatic dispenser for rifles. It sometimes needs a granule or two adjustment which I with tweezers.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Fuj, is the Ohaus 10-10 the same acale as the RCBS 10-10? I've always wondered if RCBS had some quality difference to make them less accurate than the Ohaus. Kinda like Sears used to do when they contracted for an item.

PS I have also found that not all tricklers are equal. I have one that will drop a 'clump' of granules on a regular basis. When weighing to less than .1gn I use a pair of tweezers to put one granule at a time in the pan (stick powders). FWIW, I don't do that very often as it is very time consuming.
    Last I knew Ohaus made the RCBS balance beam scales.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    I have a pair of Paregrine scales I've been using for several years now and backed
    up with a Ohaus 10-10. I'll dump from a Uniflow then trickle to the Paregrine. They
    currently run about $150 bucks and come with power pack, and 2 calibration weights.
    On some scales you have to pay extra for the weights, so check first on that. The
    Paregrine has 2/100th of a grain of resolution and way better then working in tenths
    especially with fast burning powders.

Note....The TRX-925 only has 1/10 resolution for over twice the cost.

If you have the cash, look up the Sartorius
    The way the manufacturers state accuracy and resolution confuses me a little.

Both A&D scales say they are accurate to .001 gram which I believe is .0000154324 grains, but on Youtube videos the FX120i only displays two digits to the right of the decimal point.

The EJ-303 displays three digits to the right of the decimal point and claims .002 grain resolution. Is resolution the same as accuracy?

The TRX-925 says its accurate to .01 grains and displays two digits to the right of the decimal point. I don't know how the A&D scales compute weights or converts between grams and grains, but the folks that make the Creedmoor scale says theirs is more accurate because if computes in grains and no conversions are necessary. Depending on how many places the A&D scales take the conversion, rounding could affect accuracy of the scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    Last I knew Ohaus made the RCBS balance beam scales.
    They originally did but a few years back RCBS started sourcing them from Mexico
    and China. There was an issue with some made out of country that still had the Ohaus
    casting number. If someone trys to sell you an original RCBS/Ohaus, You'll need to ask
    for the box it came in. Country of origin will be on it.

As for another post about grain/grams and figuring....On most, if not all electronic scales,
    they have a mode switch to place it in either weights.

Team Savage

The older 10-10s were indeed made by Ohaus and, I believe, so were the 5-10s and 5-0-5s. My mid-80s 5-10 is stamped made by Ohaus. An RCBS Chargemaster 1500 combo gets the nod for 99% of what I load today.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
    The way the manufacturers state accuracy and resolution confuses me a little.

Both A&D scales say they are accurate to .001 gram which I believe is .0000154324 grains, but on Youtube videos the FX120i only displays two digits to the right of the decimal point.

The EJ-303 displays three digits to the right of the decimal point and claims .002 grain resolution. Is resolution the same as accuracy?

The TRX-925 says its accurate to .01 grains and displays two digits to the right of the decimal point. I don't know how the A&D scales compute weights or converts between grams and grains, but the folks that make the Creedmoor scale says theirs is more accurate because if computes in grains and no conversions are necessary. Depending on how many places the A&D scales take the conversion, rounding could affect accuracy of the scale.
    I would go here and ask questions.

https://www.oldwillknottscales.com/

To me, resolution is not the same as accuracy. I can have a 10 digit 'resolution' or readout, but, if the accuracy is not that good then all of those extra numbers are meaningless. Of course the calibration weights you use should also be just as accurate.

I could even use a load cell that is 'accurate' to 3 digits, but, if it is not mounted and electronically compensated correctly the true accuracy may only be two digits.

PS there is also another factor. A scale may not be 'accurate' to a standard, but, it may be consistent. For example, a scale may show 51gm when a 50gm weight is placed on it. As long as it is consistent then it may be perfectly fine for much of our use. It would not be fine for other types of applications that demand accurate weights to a specific standard.

Basic Member
    I bought an inexpensive digital powder scale off Amazon. I forgot the brand but it’s cheap and very compact. I use check waits to make sure it’s on every time. I have an old pacific measure I check it with

I personally use the A&D FX-120i Precision Balance. Prior to this I used a stabilized, tuned beam scale because none of the less expensive scales repeated or more often drifted. Their may be better but this thing amazes me with it's sensitivity and accuracy. I use a RCBS 1500 to drop and trickle in from there. A powder throw would work just fine...something to get you close, right?------------------- I am interested in experiences with the creedmoor sports scale. Best Price https://ceproducts.shop/collections/...-122g-x-0-001g These folks also sell the EJ series but not the one you mentioned. Stay away from anything Strain Guage.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    The older 10-10s were indeed made by Ohaus and, I believe, so were the 5-10s and 5-0-5s. My mid-80s 5-10 is stamped made by Ohaus. An RCBS Chargemaster 1500 combo gets the nod for 99% of what I load today.
    Good to know. Sad to learn.

Mine does say “Made exclusively for RCBS by Ohaus Precision Scale” on the front of the box it came in.

When using my electronic scale I keep a known control weight - a .358” bullet that weighs 157.8 gr. I throw it on a few times during sessions at the bench to try and reduce drift. My beam scale is sitting on a carefully leveled piece of plate glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I personally use the A&D FX-120i Precision Balance. Prior to this I used a stabilized, tuned beam scale because none of the less expensive scales repeated or more often drifted. Their may be better but this thing amazes me with it's sensitivity and accuracy. I use a RCBS 1500 to drop and trickle in from there. A powder throw would work just fine...something to get you close, right?------------------- I am interested in experiences with the creedmoor sports scale. Best Price https://ceproducts.shop/collections/...-122g-x-0-001g These folks also sell the EJ series but not the one you mentioned. Stay away from anything Strain Guage.
    Getting reliable info can be difficult at times, at least getting understandable, reliable info can be. The EJ 303 scale I mentioned comes with a hinged dust shield which looks easier to use than the one that slides. I like the sound of three digit resolution, but I wonder what its worth from a practical standpoint.

It looks like the Creedmoor uses a strain gauge as a measuring device. Cheaper strain gauge scales have drift issues, but I wonder if that's an issue with the Creedmoor scale as most reviews say it doesn't drift, even over long periods of time. I like the idea of having a scale designed for reloading.

This is from an article on www.ssusa.org

"If you already use an electronic scale, the TRX-925 will have a short learning curve for you, though scientific scales of this type require some additional attention. These scales can be affected by the high frequency switching of nearby fluorescent lights (including CFL light bulbs) and by motorized devices operating on the same electrical circuit as the scale. Placing excessive weight—more than 925 grains—on the TRX-925 can damage its strain gauge, as well."

I found this addressing scale drift

"Scale drift and other phenomena that have traditionally plagued older scales have been overcome by better electronics and better programming. That is not to say you cannot make this scale drift if you tried, but that is true of any electronic scale including those that use an MRF load cell."

Some scales with higher weight resolutions are susceptible to air currents and are
    used inside a wind screen box. My Peregrines with a 0.00 resolution drifts if I run
    my hand across it too fast. First several times I used them, I was having fits with
    them bouncing around until I realized it was the close by furnace register blowing
    hot air across the room. If you have a florescent light above your bench, replace
    the tubes with the new LED tubes. They are not cheap but the cost of electric is nill
    compared to the old ones. The only other thing I do is to plug the scales into an old
    line conditioner I used on my computers.

Basic Member
    Creedmoor Sports TRX-925 Precision reloading scale
    i have this scale. It is very accurate, to my old check weights and the certified weights it comes with. It is very fast. Sensitive to 1 kernel or the big stuff…0.03 per kernel or 0.02 of the fine stuff trickled in. It is much faster than my dispenser was. I’m guessing 20s per charge??

Basically, I:
    Remove pan from scale
    Throw charge in pan
    Set pan on scale
    Weigh charge
    Trickle with Little Dandy Trickler
    When stable, remove from scale
    Dump in funnel/case
    place pan to scale
    move funnel to next case
    repeat

I really like the high level of accuracy and lack of drift I see running this scale. I’m about 1yr in. Never had an issue or concern.

I have left it with just the pan on for hours with no change of zero. I have left a check weight on it with no change in weighed value. I have run the above cycle with a check weight 10 times with no change in value. I have put a check weight on it after loading a session….still no change.

I have little air movement where it is used. I could take covers off, but I find removing just one side makes it stabilize faster and is less sensitive to my movements.

I reload in my workshop — it’s a brick building with windows and a 10’ garage door, it’s heated, but not cooled. I have to shut the windows and doors, otherwise the breeze causes the scales to fluctuate. The garage door faces north, when the wind is blowing from that direction the door flexes enough, when closed, to affect both scales. It’s rough in the summer when it’s 100 degrees and I have to close the windows and doors. A functional, convenient enclosure would be nice.

Basic Member
    Dump powder in the BATHROOM.

If You want it bad enough, You will find a solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast