Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electronic Scales

Basic Member

Even my relatively cheap Lyman automatic scale (Gen6) is sensitive to air currents. It only reads out to the 0.1gn. I reload in a closet, just sliding doors. I can't have the ceiling fan on and I had to move the scale since it was in the path of the A/C vent. Once I figured that out I didn't have to used the 'wind shield' that came with the scale.

Quote Originally Posted by GrenGuy View Post
    Dump powder in the BATHROOM.

If You want it bad enough, You will find a solution.
    With all due respect, WTF do you call reloading in a sealed up building, in Texas, in the summer, without even a fan on when its 105 outside if not "wanting it bad enough"?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
    With all due respect, WTF do you call reloading in a sealed up building, in Texas, in the summer, without even a fan on when its 105 outside if not "wanting it bad enough"?
    Well, I typed a fine reply, but it said I didn’t have permission to post? Others have complained about this, perhaps the moderators could explain why this happens? I know You want it bad enough...My solution is to dump powder in a closed up bathroom, not in the garage.

My basement is L shaped and my loading bench is in the toe. As far from the entry steps and outside door as I can get.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Well, I typed a fine reply, but it said I didn’t have permission to post? Others have complained about this, perhaps the moderators could explain why this happens? I know You want it bad enough...My solution is to dump powder in a closed up bathroom, not in the garage.
    Your idea has merit, especially since loading powder doesn't require reefing on a press so the equipment can just sit on the counter. I'm sure enjoying the winter though!

I decided to go with the Creedmoor.

Its gotten good reviews
    Its been reported that it has very little to no drift over long periods of time.
    Its native language is grains
    I think its accuracy is more than adequate for measuring precise loads.
    I like the design of the wind screen.
    Its now almost $300 less than the A&D.

The only negative is I'm not sure how I'll interface my trickler with it.

I'll let you know how it works.

The scale came today.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1441-L.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	9232

Name:	IMG_1443-L.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	9226

It's got a ding on the display, I haven't decided if I want to send it back yet.

Name:	IMG_1444-L.jpg 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	9227

I just had enough time to mess with it a few minutes tonight. These Hornady bullets appear to be very close to their advertised weight. I set the scale up to weight 55 grains and it indicates just below that weight.

Name:	IMG_1446-L.jpg 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	9228

The TRX says it weighs just below 55 grains too.

Name:	IMG_1447-L.jpg 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	9229

These bullets made by Magtech aren't as close to their advertised weight.

Name:	IMG_1448-L.jpg 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	9230

Name:	IMG_1449-L.jpg 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	9231

Basic Member
    That is a good start. The real test is to weigh out a powder change to 29.92 grains, consistently.

If You keep over shooting the target weight by .02grn, You can always cut kernels ;-))

I got lucky, my Lyman trickler has long enough spout to drop the powder into the pan. I drilled a hole in the side of the windscreen and stuck the spout through it. The Lyman has a cast iron base that screws in and out of the bottom of the trickler to raise or lower it, depending on the height of the scale you're using, but it was a little short for the Creedmoor. I used a piece of 3/4" plywood to raise it.

Name:	IMG_1455-L.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	9241

Name:	IMG_1456-L.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	9242

I set the Lee Safety scale up to measure 40.8 gr of powder and checked the weight against the TRX-925. For an analog scale, the Lee is pretty accurate.

Name:	IMG_1457-L.jpg 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	9239

Name:	IMG_1458-L.jpg 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	9240

I started reloading by setting up my RCBS Competition powder measure to drop just under 40.8 grains and trickled up to the target of 40.8 grains. I found the powder measure is more accurate than I thought it was when I was using a digital scale that only displayed to tenths.

That black dot in the lower left corner comes on when the scale is weighing and changing the display.

Name:	IMG_1459-L.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	9243

Name:	IMG_1460-L.jpg 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	9244

The scale isn't especially fast at weighing a charge, but its sensitive enough to recognize when you're trickling and the unstable icon comes on as it responds to the powder being dropped into the pan. If you try to go too fast, you can overshoot the mark because the scale isn't fast enough to keep up. It's not slow, just not especially fast.

Displaying two digits to the right of the decimal point makes it easier to measure accurately, but it also causes some issues when you're .002 below the target and drop a grain into the pan and it shoots up to .003 over.

I contacted Creedmoor Sports about the display and they are sending a replacement scale and an RMA to send this one back. That ding in the display would have aggravated me every time I used it. It seems like a good company that stands behind their product.

Basic Member
    -.02 to +.03 ... that’s why I said some purest cut powder kernels in half. I have found this is not necessary because all stick powders have long and short kernels. With experience, you learn to recognize the one that is needed, spread out there on the bench.

Measuring to these extremes assumes the ability to shoot the different on target.

Using an example, with Your scale, if You load to 40.12 you have the potential for max load weight accuracy. If You load to 40.1 the accuracy potential lessens. If You load to 41 it lessens even greater. With a scale like Yours , it is best to load to the second decimal point for the maximum weight accuracy.

-.02 to +.03 ... that’s why I said some purest cut powder kernels in half. I have found this is not necessary because all stick powders have long and short kernels. With experience, you learn to recognize the one that is needed, spread out there on the bench.

Measuring to these extremes assumes the ability to shoot the different on target.

Using an example, with Your scale, if You load to 40.12 you have the potential for max load weight accuracy. If You load to 40.1 the accuracy potential lessens. If You load to 41 it lessens even greater. With a scale like Yours , it is best to load to the second decimal point for the maximum weight accuracy.
    I can see I need a pair of tweezers to grab the correct kernel with the extruded powder. I'm thinking finer powders won't be an issue.

I have a plastic pair of tweezers I use for just that.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    I use a metal pair. The plastic ones have to be 'cleaned' of static too often in my climate.

Team Savage

I can't shoot well enough that hundredth's of a grain would matter, but that is still a nice setup. Like charlie b, I also use metal tweezers, mine are curved SS needle point. They work quite well at picking up grains of powder I occasionally drop on my bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
    I started reloading by setting up my RCBS Competition powder measure to drop just under 40.8 grains and trickled up to the target of 40.8 grains. I found the powder measure is more accurate than I thought it was when I was using a digital scale that only displayed to tenths.

That black dot in the lower left corner comes on when the scale is weighing and changing the display.

Name:	IMG_1459-L.jpg 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	9243

Name:	IMG_1460-L.jpg 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	9244

The scale isn't especially fast at weighing a charge, but its sensitive enough to recognize when you're trickling and the unstable icon comes on as it responds to the powder being dropped into the pan. If you try to go too fast, you can overshoot the mark because the scale isn't fast enough to keep up. It's not slow, just not especially fast.

Displaying two digits to the right of the decimal point makes it easier to measure accurately, but it also causes some issues when you're .002 below the target and drop a grain into the pan and it shoots up to .003 over.
    Nice scale’ the windshield should help out also. If you like cool stuff.. checkout the little dandy trickler.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12