Thread: Axis II 350 Legend Illinois Deer Hunting

Axis II 350 Legend Illinois Deer Hunting

Well we deer hunters here in the Peoples Republic of Illinois finally catch a break. It was just announced that rifles can be used with straight wall cartridges for deer hunting in 2023, hooray! I've been hunting deer for close to 30 years (yes I'm an old guy of 74) with my Ithaca Deerslayer 12 gauge and more recently my Savage 220 20 gauge and have never failed to harvest a deer. That being said I'm alway eager to try something new. I'm on the search now for a new rifle and decided the 350 Legend is the way to go, good out to 200 yards plus a little, low recoil and ammo is available. I am a benchrest competitor in varmint matches and in factory class for years have been using Savage LRPV in 6BR caliber and it's an absolute hammer, love the accutrigger. I know there are pricier 350 Legend hunting rifles out there however based on my experience with Savages I'm looking at 2 of their models. The Axis II HB XP Whitetail and the Axis II XP Timber Camo HB. I believe they're the same rifle just different camo patterns. Both come with a barrel with a slightly heavier contour, accutrigger and a scope. Thoughts on these rifles much appreciated!!!!

Thanks!!

Forgot to mention the regulations state the rifle must be a single shot only so I would need to modify the magazine where it could not hold any rounds.

Basic Member
    My third new rifle purchase of my life (I'm only 69) was an Axis HB from Walmart. First was a Rem .22 in 1966, second a Rem 788 in 1983. I could not have been happier with it. Even stock it shot better than I could.

You can put a fill of some kind in the magazine, kinda like a shotgun magazine "plug". Or get a single shot converter from here

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

PS My Axis now has a 12BVSS .308 barrel on it, Boyd's stock and a Vortex Diamonback scope. Most of the time I shoot cast bullets with it.

Banned
    Good news!

Did you mean the Veil Whitetail Camo? This one below..

Compared to the Timber Camo.

They are both part of the XP line & basically the same rifle. Only difference besides the Camo pattern, is the Veil Whitetail XP has a Threaded barrel for muzzle attachment. Not something I care about, you may feel different. If it were me, I’d go with the Timber Camo any day of the week. But, I prefer Black or Grey over ANY Camo, LOL!

Yes that is the rifle I'm looking at.

Thanks

Hello,
    I'm a Michigan hunter and have traditionally used my Remington 1100s for deer until I bought my kids a Savage 220 youth model deer gun. I liked it so much that I got myself 1 in the adult version. Next up.....straight walled cartridge centerfire rifles became allowed in the southern "shotgun" zone of Michigan and the 450 Bushmaster quickly became the popular choice for many hunters. I examined the ballistics and found it to be very comparable to the savage 220s, no need to buy a bushmaster at that point. When the 350 Legend was introduced I was not really paying attention and then I invited a gentleman to come as a guest hunter and put a doe in his freezer. He asked about his granddaughter coming out and explained that she had not tagged a deer in 3 years of hunting. She came out and got a nice doe within 3 hours and she was using the Savage Axis. Her grandfather came a week later and tagged his doe after a grueling 2 hour sit, also using the same Axis 350 legend. I inquired and it turned out that Bruce's buddy from Vietnam war owned a gun shop and he got me 1 for like $300. I have taken several deer with it and the only thing I would bring up is it seems like the feed ramp is too steep and sometimes the round does NOT feed smoothly into the breech. It was suggested to me that the magazine may be to blame but I cant verify that. I have looked at the Ruger American and the bolt seems really sloppy to me. Savage uses Hornady FTX ammo , product # 81197. This is a tipped bullet and when I run out of American Whitetail I will switch, looking for improved expansion.
    Keep in mind that you are looking at the Axis II, I have the plain Jane Axis. I'm not sure who else is making the rifles chambered in the 350 Legend, Not that this cartridge is a rebated rim cartridge. What I like is that 350 Legend cartridge is almost a ballistic carbon copy of the tried and true 30-30. The felt recoil is 1/2 that of the 450 bushmaster.

Keep in touch, let me know which way you go......JWM

After noticing that it must be a single shot.....There are several single shot guns available. I believe CVA has 1. I have 3 muzzleloaders, I like the CVA the best, followed by Knight and then TC.

CVA Scout is single shot. Look at the CR 48175 ($450) and CR 4817 ($370)

I second the CVA. I have a CVA Hunter (older version of scout) in 444 Marlin I use for deer hunting sometimes and it is a dang decent shooter. Has not given me any issues to date. Tried and true and reliable break action. I will almost always advocate for Savage, but I will confirm the CVA is also a great choice.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

The Poly Sled from Fred at the link above (on Loading Ramps page) is what you'll want to convert either of those Savage's to a single-shot. Snaps in place just like your typical detachable magazine so no alterations to the gun needed.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Very excited to have this option in hellinois