Thread: About federal ammo 308 grain 150

About federal ammo 308 grain 150

Hello everybody, I just want to know if federal ammo 380 grain 150 soft point is enough good for an axis II, I mean if makes no physical or mechanic damage to the rifle. Thank you

Banned
    Yes, it’s quality ammunition & will work fine in the Axis II. NO, it will not cause any damage. And welcome to the forum.

Basic Member
    Welcome. You can use any factory ammunition labeled .308 Win or any military ammo labeled 7.62x51 or 7.62 NATO.

Savage says otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Welcome. You can use any factory ammunition labeled .308 Win or any military ammo labeled 7.62x51 or 7.62 NATO.
    In the user’s manual for my Axis II Precision, Savage explicitly states that using 7.62X51 ammo will void the warranty. (Also, I’ve heard that the harder, military-grade primers in the NATO round may possibly cause misfires in the bolt-action .308.)

Basic Member
    Yep, they put that in my Model 12BVSS manual as well. They also state that military 5.56 rounds were not to be used in the .223 rifles. I have fired both in each of them with no issues.

I suspect it is more due to the wide variety of 'military' stuff that is out there, especially the steel cased stuff.

Basic Member
    Yep, they put that in my Model 12BVSS manual as well. They also state that military 5.56 rounds were not to be used in the .223 rifles. I have fired both in each of them with no issues.

I suspect it is more due to the wide variety of 'military' stuff that is out there, especially the steel cased stuff.
    More than once I have seen hard to open bolts on rifles chambered in 223 when they fired 5.56 in them when I an at the local shooting range. It's not a wise thing to do. It works until it doesn't.

Basic Member
    Because it has a longer headspace. It also has thicker brass.

Basic Member
    They have the same headspace, just different throat (according to SAAMI std). After slugging my axis I found it has a longer throat than the SAAMI std.

Thicker brass is a non-issue. Both are below 60kpsi which is where many other cartridges are certified.

Banned
    They must put those “warnings” in words because of lawyers & liability. That said, no one has never had, nor have even directly heard of a KABOOM due to shooting military ammunition. It may show some pressure signs, which is the same thing reloaders deal with all the time. However, most are absolutely fine shooting them. Of course, just as with reloading, do at your own risk.

BTW: something breaks on your rifle while using reloads, also ​voids the warranty.

Basic Member
    They have the same headspace, just different throat (according to SAAMI std). After slugging my axis I found it has a longer throat than the SAAMI std.

Thicker brass is a non-issue. Both are below 60kpsi which is where many other cartridges are certified.
    All Savage .223's have a longer freebore than SAAMI specs. That was done on purpose. You won't find one that has less than .100" freebore.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member

308 Win is between 1.630 and 1.6340. The NATO is between 1.6355 and 1.6405.