Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reloading hall of shame

Team Savage

Reloading hall of shame

I thought it would be funny /useful as a learning experience for new loaders to list up your mistakes.
    I'll go first.

One that I've done more than once is to load powder and bullets and... Oh yeah forget primers!!

schnyd112
    Haha. Been there, go to crimp bullets for pistols and have powder running out the bottom.

Me next:
    Lube your cases. If you feel it chatter going in, back it out and relube. I got one stuck in a f/l sizer die and had to go get a tap, drill out the primer pocket, tap and thread the hole, then use a socket and a bolt to remove the case. About an hour of downtime because I was trying to go too fast.

Team Savage
    I'm a **** good bullet puller!

Basic Member
    I have got side tracked double charged the same case with powder all over the table.

Basic Member
    This should be a pin on home page... I feel like it could be a popular thread

Basic Member
    Load Accurate 7 instead of Re7.

Basic Member
    had a 25-06, and a 270. A buddy convinced me to start reloading. bought Winchester brass for the 25-06 REM and Remington brass for the 270 WIN.

followed everyone's advice to run new brass through resizing die to true up mouth dents.
    set up the 270 die per instructions. Lubed the 270 casings, went to work. Was excited about my success smoothing out all the neck dents.
    Finished the 270's.
    lubed all the 25-06. the first 25-06 casing was a lot harder to run through the dies. Stopped and googled "is Winchester brass harder than remington brass". found several posts that Remington tended to be softer, so ok, I continued with the 25-06 casings through the resizer. They were all noticeably harder to resize than the 270's, but afterward I was excited - I'm on my way.

primed all the casings the next day. I'm on my way

Next day, loaded 5 3 shot powder charges of imr 4831 in my 270 casings. Put the 270 seating die in and seated 15 150 partitions. I'm on my way.

next day, loaded 5 3 shot powder charges of Imr 4831 in my 25-06 casings. went to put a 110 grain accubond in the 25-06 Case mouth. It fell into the case until it hit powder.

i then realized that I had yet to open the 25-06 die box! The first day I had resized all my 25-06 brass with the 270 dies! No wonder that winchester brass seemed so hard?

Was so flustered. I'd ruined my brand new 25-06 brass. so I dumped the powder back in the bottle, and threw the brass away. Ordered some new brass

didnt tell my buddy, who had convinced me to start reloading, until about a month later. He said "don't worry about it, it didnt't hurt the brass to neck it back down." That was 5 years ago. To this day I've never told him I threw the brass away.

Basic Member
    book max powder charges are more important in July than February. Just ask my gunsmith

Basic Member
    Having one 45 Auto small primer case slip through sorting on a progressive setup for Large primer makes for some ringing ears.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theloyalsavage View Post
    book max powder charges are more important in July than February. Just ask my gunsmith
    I thought about that after doing my ladder test at 20 below on a 7MM Rem Mag. Amazing how the one just over book max shot the nicest. LOL.

Team Savage
    See! Already helping by learning by others mistakes. I got to be good at some things because I learned really well how NOT to do it.

A few times, seated bullet, no powder in case........Squib load at range.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

cs700
    The occasional seating an inverted primer.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    Loading the wrong powder is probably the most dangerous of F-ups....

I once woke up around 5am to put some loads together to go shooting later that day, but I forgot to re-zero my scale.

Wasn't until I'd done about 40 rounds that I noticed the charge weights were off by 2-3 grains. Never again will I wake up that early to try and reload. It's always better to sacrifice the sleep on the front end.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    lubed my cases with 5w30

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    A few times, seated bullet, no powder in case........Squib load at range.
    Happened to me on Sunday. What a pain in the butt getting it out using a dowel down the muzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by cs700 View Post
    The occasional seating an inverted primer.
    I've also done the above, PLUS forgot to prime a few cases - I have not figured out how I have done this several times, but I have!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member
    Titanium cylinders are easier to blow up than steel cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by Fotheringill View Post
    Happened to me on Sunday. What a pain in the butt getting it out using a dowel down the muzzle.
    when I get through charging a loading block of brass I always shine a flashlight into the cases and check to make sure they are all full to the same level. Learned that the hard way. Now it is just automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by ivob View Post
    lubed my cases with 5w30
    I've done that. It works pretty well, but cleaning it off is a pain!

My worst is not charging some cases. The weirdest part was that the bullets never left the cases.

Lets see.....loaded cases with no primers...just the other day actually....missed powder charges...fortunately caught before I shot...couldnt hear any powder in the case, seated and crimped without powder....
    Makes me feel better Im not the only one thats done this before 😉. I leave myself alot of notes now lol
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    when I get through charging a loading block of brass I always shine a flashlight into the cases and check to make sure they are all full to the same level. Learned that the hard way. Now it is just automatic.
    Being totally new to reloading, I am trying to develop some good habits, including the flashlight trick. Works good. When I put my primers in, I put the case neck down in the block with the primers where I can see them. This is a great thread. I know from years of experience with other endeavors that it is so easy to space out or get distracted, sometimes costing extra hours of work, more money, or worse.

Basic Member
    working from memory, i loaded up 50 rds of 9mm with a powder charge that did not seem right
    instead of checking my log book went ahead only to find they were very undercharged with powder
    pulling 50 rds of 9mm was not fun with a kinetic puller
    I check my log on everything now LOL
    Jack

I have pretty much done it all at one time or another. Have tried to develop habits that eliminate most of them

but I still put primers in backwards

or not a all. Wondering why all that powder is in the loading block

Or miss sizing a case and with it primed and charged the bullet just drops through the neck

I have learned the hard way

to only have one set of dies out when you are sizing cases. Why is that case so hard to size?

and only one powder out when you are charging cases. Oops did I use the varget or the RL15?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    that might not be funny...............
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast