Thread: 20-250 Impulse Predator

Team Savage

20-250 Impulse Predator

Since I'm very fond of my Savage Impulse rifles, I decided to build a .20 cal Impulse and the 20-250 cartridge was the perfect fit for my needs.
    The .308 Impulse predator rifle didn't stay .308 for very long.
    To add to the builds uniqueness, the 20-250 chambered barrel I acquired is a large shank barrel.
    I was going to have the barrel profiled, shortened and rethreaded with small shank threads, but I wanted to see if a large shank barrel would fit without stock modification.
    With the help of a fellow member, I bartered for a large shank barrel extension and recoil lug to make this build happen and to also get measurements to make a large shank QC barrel kit, like the small shank QC barrel kit I made.
    One issue I had, was the issue of extending the large shank barrel tenon threads, as the large shank threads are shorter than small shank tenon threads and you can't get proper headspace without extending the large shank threads.
    I bought the required Hex Die and extended the threads the old fashioned way, by hand in my viper barrel vise.
    The very heavy and long 1" OD S/S match barrel fits snugly in the stock and isn't free floating.
    I thought I was going to have an issue with the large shank barrel nut fitting without stock modification, but it fit snug like the barrel.
    I formed some brass, set headspace and then made some 55 gr dummy rounds to check magazine function.
    Had to adjust the mag feed lips a little bit and it feeds like a champ now.
    Going to load a few rounds with the 55 gr bergers and hit the range on the way upstate.
    If it's a go, I'll mount the Halo X50 and try to do some coyote hunting with it.

SJC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Savage Impulse 20-250 R.jpg   Savage Impulse 20-250.jpg  

only seen Burgers in .204 up to 40gr, where did you find 55gr bullets?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/797

As the description for this 55gr Berger notes, it's a limited run so grab them while you can if you're interested. Requires a 1-8" twist barrel at .204 Ruger velocities, but can probably get away with a 1-9" twist with something like this 20-250 or a 20x47 Lapua.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Cool!! Imagine how long they would be if they were lead free! LOL My fat little fingers would fit in the press with one.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    Great news, getting an extension with large shank barrel mounted in an Impulse Predator.

I now need to start getting my ducks in a row, to convert my 6.5 CM Impulse Predator, to an AICS magazine lighter weight hunting rifle, shooting 300 Winchester Short Magnum. With these two barrels and extensions, I would be able to handle all of my target and hunting tasks.
    Savage Impulse Predator 6.5 Creedmoor 10rd AICS

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by E6Chevron View Post
    Great news, getting an extension with large shank barrel mounted in an Impulse Predator.

I now need to start getting my ducks in a row, to convert my 6.5 CM Impulse Predator, to an AICS magazine lighter weight hunting rifle, shooting 300 Winchester Short Magnum. With these two barrels and extensions, I would be able to handle all of my target and hunting tasks.
    After my machinist friend and I looked over the thin walled large shank barrel extension, we decided against making Impulse large shank QC barrel kits.
    The small shank extension has a decent wall thickness, but the large shank extension wall thickness is very thin.
    Since Savage isn't selling any parts for the Impulse line of rifles, You would need to buy an Impulse big game rifle chambered in 300 WSM to get the larger bolt head needed to fit the .535" rim of the 300 WSM, plus make sure that the special AI pattern mags to fit the 300 Wsm cartridge will fit into the mag well of the predator.

SJC

Team Savage
    Here's my two Impulse Predator rigs.
    Front is the .243 with Halo X50.
    Rear is the freshly built .20-250 with the AGM Adder TS35-384.
    My goal last year was to have all of my hunting rifles to be straight pull rifles and that's finally come to fruition.
    Now it's time to take down some predators.

SJC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2023 Impulse Rigs.jpg  

Banned
    Only just recently started reading all your threads. I’m impressed with these things you’ve done. The Impulse hasn’t been on my radar as I’ve had no interest in Straight Pull rifles for a few reasons. Mainly that I’ve no reason for a “quicker” Bolt Gun. But what you’ve shown to be accomplished by a regular guy, albeit with some high end CNC machinery (How I dream of a HAAS Mini-Mill). Even still.. wasn’t a factory who did it! Very cool. And I tip my hat to your accomplishments.

I love the attitude of “Ok Factory… I don’t need you! I’ll damn-well do it myself!” Love it!

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Only just recently started reading all your threads. I’m impressed with these things you’ve done. The Impulse hasn’t been on my radar as I’ve had no interest in Straight Pull rifles for a few reasons. Mainly that I’ve no reason for a “quicker” Bolt Gun. But what you’ve shown to be accomplished by a regular guy, albeit with some high end CNC machinery (How I dream of a HAAS Mini-Mill). Even still.. wasn’t a factory who did it! Very cool. And I tip my hat to your accomplishments.

I love the attitude of “Ok Factory… I don’t need you! I’ll damn-well do it myself!” Love it!
    Thanks for the accolades, but Savage took the first big step and then left the door wide open.
    I think every member of the barrel nut brotherhood has that attitude, but the planets align for some members projects quicker than others.
    It took over a year for me to put it all together and I'm still tweaking things.
    I think being left handed in a right hand dominated world has enabled me to adapt better and living behind enemy lines in NY state for decades has given me a take no prisoner attitude.
    While the straight pull action isn't for everyone, I prefer it.
    I hope my contributions will keep the Impulse rifle around for as long as the other Savage rifle models have been around.

SJC

Team Savage
    Dropped two dogs with it last weekend.
    Going to try for more before the NY season ends on 3/26.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3 12 Dog.jpg   3 13 Dog.jpg